Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭_John C

It wont transfer the folders. I transferred my inbox to gmail first then put them into a folder (label). Then emptied the eir inbox and moved folder contents into inbox. Then transferred to gmail. Moved into a new gmail folder(label). So on and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

medoc wrote: »
    I imported about 1.9 gb of emails going back years.

:eek: when I signed up to eircom.net you got 5 megabytes!!!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

My first PC had a 40mb HDD :D It was Huge !

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭MB05

_John C wrote: »
    It wont transfer the folders. I transferred my inbox to gmail first then put them into a folder (label). Then emptied the eir inbox and moved folder contents into inbox. Then transferred to gmail. Moved into a new gmail folder(label). So on and so on.

I wondered would this work so thanks for confirming that it does. I opened an outlook email account yesterday because of the folder issue. Didn't fancy having to re-sort all my archived emails so when I read up on it the outlook account seemed to take the folders over but it's been transferring them for about 18 hours now and going nowhere fast. Not sure if it's just because there are thousands of emails to sync or if it's just stuck.

I might just stop it and do it the same way you did to a gmail account.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Condatis wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind paying if there was to be an improvement in the service.

It's a ridiculous amount to pay, no matter how good the service might be in future it's just not worth that.

You can buy your own domain and email hosting (so, any email address you like, basically) for about 20 quid a year.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

MB05 wrote: »
    Did you have your old emails in folders or just in the inbox? Just wondering do you now have to re-sort them into various folders or did the folders come over too. And how did the sent items come in?

The only way I could bring in the folders was once my Eir inbox was empty was to transfer the contents of a folder to my inbox. Let gmail import them. Then select them in gmail as unread and move them to a folder then. A bit of a faff but it worked.

medoc wrote: »
    The only way I could bring in the folders was once my Eir inbox was empty was to transfer the contents of a folder to my inbox. Let gmail import them. Then select them in gmail as unread and move them to a folder then. A bit of a faff but it worked.

I am in the process of doing it at the moment. I cleared both inboxes then I moved the contents of one folder on my eircom.net account into the inbox. Then I used the import feature on the gmail account to transfer them. Once they transfer over completely I added a label and moved them to that label.

Then I put the contents of my eircom.net inbox back into it's original folder and repeated the process with the next one. Seems to be fast enough, just depends on the number of emails in each of the folders. I don't want to delete the eircom.net content yet just in case some of my emails don't come across or the attachment corrupts etc but when I am happy enough that I've got everything I will deal with deleting my old account.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Yea me too. In the early days I had to delete emails regularly when the inbox was getting full.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It's a ridiculous amount to pay, no matter how good the service might be in future it's just not worth that.

You can buy your own domain and email hosting (so, any email address you like, basically) for about 20 quid a year.

they don't care whether people leave, in an ideal world they would be able to just shut it down. They don't want to run an email service.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Can anyone in the know suggest what plan/service they are migrating to with Blacknight to replace an eircom address? It is for a small business so i'm sure the €10 p.a. 500MB per mailbox mightn't fit the bill but I'm really not up to scratch on this stuff.

I see they charge approx. €20 p.a. for domain registration (ignoring intro offers) so the email hosting would be in addition to this. The only reason I'm mentioning Blacknight is that I've seen them suggested on these boards a number of times so am guessing they are respected enough. I've also looked at Google GSuite for Business and is €4.70 per month not including domain. However, if there's other reliable providers I'd be all ears.

I may as well change out now and notify customers/accounts etc. as there's no hope of me signing up to a contract service with Eir again.

Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 PT FTO

MB05 wrote: »
    I wondered would this work so thanks for confirming that it does. I opened an outlook email account yesterday because of the folder issue. Didn't fancy having to re-sort all my archived emails so when I read up on it the outlook account seemed to take the folders over but it's been transferring them for about 18 hours now and going nowhere fast. Not sure if it's just because there are thousands of emails to sync or if it's just stuck.

I might just stop it and do it the same way you did to a gmail account.

What settings did you use when setting up the Outlook account to receive the eircom mails. I've tried everything but just keeps faulting. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

emffb1 wrote: »
    When you've had the same email address for over 20 years and also an eir address for work it's not so easy do.

After 20+ years of those jokers, I changed my email address early last year. Simple to manage if you use Outlook, or another email management program.

Simply create a rule in Outlook that sends a copy of any email received to the Eircom address to the Inbox of your new email address.

Then change the setting in Outlook so that when you click Reply, you are replying from your new address, not the Eircom one.

Simple. And there is no need to send out blanket emails to everyone notifying them of the change. You just gradually wean them off the old Eircom address and onto the new one.

If you access email via web and not via Outlook or similar, I’m not sure what you should do. But, Microsoft Office is not expensive now.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

Dinarius wrote: »
    After 20+ years of those jokers, I changed my email address early last year. Simple to manage if you use Outlook, or another email management program.

Simply create a rule in Outlook that sends a copy of any email received to the Eircom address to the Inbox of your new email address.

Then change the setting in Outlook so that when you click Reply, you are replying from your new address, not the Eircom one.

D.

Would this work in gmail??

My electricity account has my eircom.net user name as the user name. I will have to keep using that name as the log in name not withstanding that they will be sending my bill to my new E-mail account! A bit strange to say the least!

You can’t change your username? Odd.

D.

Can someone help please? Has anybody any idea how you bulk download/export your eircom mail history either to another mailbox e.g Gmail
    It's for my folks & they would have previous emails that they'll need to search through & access in future. Thanks

I use Outlook.

I have four email addresses in it. My now unused Eircom address is at the bottom. No need to import anything from it into the folders of my main email address at the top. Anytime I want to refer back to something Eircom, I simply go
    to the relevant folder in the Eircom account and find that email.

The secret to sanity is using an email management program like Outlook and NOT managing email online via your browser. That’s nuts.

D.

I don’t know.

I also have a gmail address. It’s the only address I don’t have in Outlook. I only access it on my phone. I only use it for registering for things that aren’t important.

Someone else will know.

D.

PT FTO wrote: »
    What settings did you use when setting up the Outlook account to receive the eircom mails. I've tried everything but just keeps faulting. Thanks

I abandoned the outlook transfer as it just seemed to go into a loop (probably had too many folders) but I did get past the failed bit. I think it was the encryption part that was causing the failure to connect. Set that at none and see how you get on. I gave up on it as I found it was easier with gmail so I went with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Dinarius wrote: »

Simple. And there is no need to send out blanket emails to everyone notifying them of the change. You just gradually wean them off the old Eircom address and onto the new one.

If you access email via web and not via Outlook or similar, I’m not sure what you should do. But, Microsoft Office is not expensive now.

D.

That's grand for those that hit the reply button. Those who send you new mail using your eir address after the end of march will still not reach you.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, I stopped using my @eircom address a couple of years ago so had my Thunderbird (open source alternative to Outlook) set up to manage my eircom address under my Gmail account. I had already changed my email address on quite a few websites to use the Gmail one, and with this announcement I just went back through the last 2 years of received emails to make sure I changed all the existing ones from websites I've been getting updates etc from so it only took an hour or two.

My setup has been working great, and I'm not stressing over this at all thankfully.

I don't have time or the memory to go through the exact set up options and step by step, as it was pretty complicated to set it up as I use gmail labels, filters etc.

I forget how eircom works with Thunderbird/Outlook by itself, but what I'd do, is set up Thunderbird to sync with eircom via IMAP, hopefully all your mails will sync as they should (inbox, sent etc), then I'd also sync your Gmail (or other) address to Thunderbird under a separate account (both accounts will be viewable from the same thunderbird window/instance). It'll take time for all the mails to be downloaded locally, but eventually, you should have all your mails on Thunderbird.

What I'd then do is create sub folders in the gmail account for the old eircom account, I use a "read and replied" folder for easier management as I like to keep my inbox empty, but then have a sent folder too. Folders on Gmail are referred to as labels, it's pretty much the same thing.

Once that's done, you can create filters to make sure new mail coming through once you do the next step, goes to the right place:
    Fa21dmG.png

Once the filters are set up, you can go to the gmail settings and import the eircom address:
    wJdBhgd.png

I think at some stage, I forget whether it's when doing it through gmail or thunderbird, it asks if you want to delete messages off the server as they are downloaded, I chose yes to this as once I had them on thunderbird, I knew I'd be syncing them to gmail too, and then wouldn't need them on eircom.

Anyway... I'm probably explaining this really bad, but the end result is this:
    wy3tT2F.png

And when I get an email to my @eircom address, it goes directly into the @eircom folder, I have thunderbird and possibly gmail too ? set up that when I hit reply to any mail I receive from eircom, I'm replying from my gmail account instead.

This set up also means that all my eircom and all my gmail emails are accessible anywhere I have an internet connection AND that they are stored locally on my laptop too and everything syncs through gmail perfectly.

The only thing to note, is as you'll see from the "import" screenshot above, it says "last checked X minutes ago", the frequency of checking this will depend on the frequency you get mail to the eircom address, or the frequency you manually check it. It may start off only checking it every 30 minutes or so, so if somebody has told you they sent you a mail and you haven't got it, don't worry, it'll probably sync later, or else you can just go to gmail and hit refresh or go to the import setting to sync from the eircom server.

The set up above is completely free with gmail.

For anyone with a business, it is also possible to manage a business email address this way and you could even do it all through gmail too if you get a new info@businessname.ie address for example.

It is complicated and took me ages to figure it all out and troubleshoot issues and get it all working properly, but now it all works sweet. There were a few accounts I couldn't change the mail on (donedeal for example), so if they ever email my @eircom address, I guess I'll just never get it and I'm ok with that.

Here's a thread I posted looking for help on the initial migration Q's I had:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057728317

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pummice

I have an eircom account but didnt receive an email warning me about the charge. Same with my spouse. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Eir are the single worst company I've ever dealt with. I got rid of them years ago and it was the best thing ever.

Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I have my eircom emails linked to my Gmail account, but when Eir lock my account , then I won't receive any new emails but at least I am receiving them now and all previous emails have arrived to my Gmail, am sifting through them at present, most are rubbish but some like eBay had my eircom address so have changed that to Gmail. Hopefully, all my important subscriptions have Gmail address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I've now set up my new Gmail to pull in emails from my eircom.net account, as recommended in this thread , & here also

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/so-you-still-have-an-eircom-net-email-here-is-what-you-need-to-do-1.4165439

Emails are being pulled into Gmail from eircom.net on a daily basis, but with some delay, as I'm getting error messages in Gmail as follows :

Check mail from other accounts:
    Learn more
    myname@eircom.net (POP3)

Last checked: 3 minutes ago.View history Check mail now edit info delete

Error reading mail. Mail from this account has not been retrieved since Feb 9. View details

Then when I view the details, I get :

Error reading mail.
    Server returned error "Connection closed by remote host: The other server terminated our connection...."

Any idea what's going on here ?

banchang wrote: »
    I've now set up my new Gmail to pull in emails from my eircom.net account, as recommended in this thread , & here also

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/so-you-still-have-an-eircom-net-email-here-is-what-you-need-to-do-1.4165439

Emails are being pulled into Gmail from eircom.net on a daily basis, but with some delay, as I'm getting error messages in Gmail as follows :

Check mail from other accounts:
    Learn more
    myname@eircom.net (POP3)

Last checked: 3 minutes ago.View history Check mail now edit info delete

Error reading mail. Mail from this account has not been retrieved since Feb 9. View details

Then when I view the details, I get :

Error reading mail.
    Server returned error "Connection closed by remote host: The other server terminated our connection...."

Any idea what's going on here ?
    What settings have you on Gmail, I am receiving all from ericom to my Gmail account.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

pummice wrote: »
    I have an eircom account but didnt receive an email warning me about the charge. Same with my spouse. Any ideas?

My daughter got an email, I didn't. Given that its a generic email you just have to decide whether to stay and pay or go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

august12 wrote: »
    What settings have you on Gmail, I am receiving all from ericom to my Gmail account.

Just the settings recommended in the article - is there something special I should have switched on ?

banchang wrote: »
    Just the settings recommended in the article - is there something special I should have switched on ?

I used the following to get it to work:

Username: your eircom email address,
    Password: your eircom password,
    Incoming Server: webmail.eircom.net;
    Port: 110;
    Security: none

Outgoing server: mail1.eircom.net,
    Port: 587,
    Security; none

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bog master

I have had my eircom.net emails forwarded to my gmail account-no problem. But miss the layout and ease of use of Outlook Express. Is it possible to configure Outlook Express to receive emails and send with my Gmail and forwarded eircom.net emails?

I have an eir email account I don’t use it so when this comes into affect will I be locked out unless I pay or will the charge be added to my bill?

I hope it’s locked out or I’ll have to call them FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

bog master wrote: »
    I have had my eircom.net emails forwarded to my gmail account-no problem. But miss the layout and ease of use of Outlook Express. Is it possible to configure Outlook Express to receive emails and send with my Gmail and forwarded eircom.net emails?

Outlook Express?! That hasn't been updated in over a decade.

Advertisement