Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭pissed

For anyone looking to actually close their Eircom email account for fear of being charged you have to do the following.

Contact wmsupport@eir.ie and request to close your account.

They will come back to you looking for 3 emails that you have received prior to requesting to close your account dated within the last 12 months.

You will have to provide the following information for each email -

1. Email address of sender
    2. Subject.
    3. Date and time received.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

august12 wrote: »
    I used the following to get it to work:

Username: your eircom email address,
    Password: your eircom password,
    Incoming Server: webmail.eircom.net;
    Port: 110;
    Security: none

Outgoing server: mail1.eircom.net,
    Port: 587,
    Security; none

That outgoing server will only work if you are an Eircom customer. You'll need the server supplied by your service provider, if they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

That outgoing server will only work if you are an Eircom customer. You'll need the server supplied by your service provider, if they have one.
    I've just tried sending which worked, hadn't thought of this, I'm with Gomo so possibly the same outgoing server, given they work off the Eir network I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Just to be clear, setting up Gmail to collect your Eircom.net email will only work until the end of March at which point your Eircom address will be deactivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

I got all the incoming emails import into outlook, is there a way to import emails sent in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Is it possible to send a Message " Please change my eMail address from myname@eircom.net to Myname@gmail.com " ..
    from my Eircom account to all contacts ?

If so How ??

Thanks

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

pissed wrote: »
    For anyone looking to actually close their Eircom email account for fear of being charged you have to do the following.

Contact wmsupport@eir.ie and request to close your account.

They will come back to you looking for 3 emails that you have received prior to requesting to close your account dated within the last 12 months.

You will have to provide the following information for each email -

1. Email address of sender
    2. Subject.
    3. Date and time received.

Surely they can't just start charging folks for something they haven't agreed to pay for? I assume this is only a risk to anyone with an active eir account paying for other services too? I have an inactive eir account I had for my last mobile provider before going to GOMO.

@manutd, my post above kinda explains how to get the sent mails too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As there are no billing details associated with your eircom email account, they'll find a hard time to charge you.

So they will have to close those accounts automatically, that don't supply billing details.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Apart from Eir charging, I shall try to summarise most comments:

1. Some may not be able to afford

2. Older people, such as me, have found it difficult to obtain a new email address

3. Some small business may have to arrange new headed paper/business cards

4 Many, in particular, people with disabilities may lose existing contacts with friends and families

5 Many will try to find how to notify sites (Ryanair, Tax, INTREO,Amazon, etc of new address)

The social effects are enoromous

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

I've just realised that all business documentation I released over the last 20 years has my old email address as the method of contact. This has become a serious pain. Like I said above there should be a law against this.

I wouldn't mind a few business cards or a bit of stationary...............

• Advertisement

I've just realised that all business documentation I released over the last 20 years has my old email address as the method of contact. This has become a serious pain. Like I said above there should be a law against this.

I wouldn't mind a few business cards or a bit of stationary...............

Apologies, but you can not complain about your own lack of foresight.

It is seriously unprofessional to rely on the company or business name of another business to conduct your own business.

If you had the foresight and wanted to ensure, that you were always in control, you would not have gone cheapskates with a free email account, but would have purchased your own domain and got mail hosting from a hosting company.

With a domain of your own, you can move from provider to provider keeping your email address and domain.

If you rely on somebody elses domain ... then you have to pay whatever they require. And they can change their pricing any day.

Simple facts of life.

A simple comparison:

- you can take your phone number with you from one premise to another. No problem. That's like the domain.
    - with an eircom email account, what you have is like dialing eircoms main number, then dial an extension to get to you. The name on the door in both occasions is "eircom".

I always cringe, when I see a contractors van with contact details in the form of an eircom.net email address on it. Every one of those have to pay now or get the signage changed on their vans. I mean .. the time to cop on to prevent this was 10 years ago.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

Anybody have ideas/recommendations on what is best to use as the first part of an email address if deciding to use a personal domain name in firstnamelastname format.

Thanks in advance.

me@ ?

That way you've got email addresses for the whole family.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Marlow wrote: »

That way you've got email addresses for the whole family.

/M

Exactly what I did. Using a .eu domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

Thanks Marlow,

My family name is taken in all main domains.

RealNames (part of Tucows) can provide an email service using the address myfirstname at mylastname dot net.

However RealNames own the mylastname domain and if I went for that option it would have all the disadvantages you mention in your recent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I get it that small contractors and businesses may not have the tech knowledge to go and register a domain, and I'd see this as the reason rather than being cheapskates, but besides just judging them as "looking unprofessional", my own thinking is that I'd just not be expecting a reply if I did email an @iol, @eircom or @indigo address as I'd be thinking they are only throwing up an email address on the van/business card for the sake of it and wouldn't have it synced to their phone etc so probably not checking it often.

vinby wrote: »
    Anybody have ideas/recommendations on what is best to use as the first part of an email address if deciding to use a personal domain name in firstnamelastname format.

Thanks in advance.

hello, info?

vinby wrote: »
    My family name is taken in all main domains.

RealNames (part of Tucows) can provide an email service using the address myfirstname at mylastname dot net.

However RealNames own the mylastname domain and if I went for that option it would have all the disadvantages you mention in your recent post.

Yes .. that's exactly it. And with a common enough last name, that may be an issue.

/M

cormie wrote: »
    I get it that small contractors and businesses may not have the tech knowledge to go and register a domain, and I'd see this as the reason rather than being cheapskates, but besides just judging them as "looking unprofessional", my own thinking is that I'd just not be expecting a reply if I did email an @iol, @eircom or @indigo address as I'd be thinking they are only throwing up an email address on the van/business card for the sake of it and wouldn't have it synced to their phone etc so probably not checking it often.

Oh .. I'd totally agree. But the right thing there would be to go with a third party like @gmx.net, @gmail.com or a mail hoster, that gives you a choice of their domains.

Something that is not tied in with your phone or broadband supply.

People love bundles. One bill. I get that. But you're also putting yourself into a hostage situation, where you become totally dependant on that provider and when they increase their prices (like here from free to 5.99), then you're stuck, because you can not take your email address with you as the domain is owned by that provider. Even though you have advertised for them for free for a lifetime.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭plodder

westyIrl wrote: »
    Can anyone in the know suggest what plan/service they are migrating to with Blacknight to replace an eircom address? It is for a small business so i'm sure the €10 p.a. 500MB per mailbox mightn't fit the bill but I'm really not up to scratch on this stuff.

I see they charge approx. €20 p.a. for domain registration (ignoring intro offers) so the email hosting would be in addition to this. The only reason I'm mentioning Blacknight is that I've seen them suggested on these boards a number of times so am guessing they are respected enough. I've also looked at Google GSuite for Business and is €4.70 per month not including domain. However, if there's other reliable providers I'd be all ears.

I may as well change out now and notify customers/accounts etc. as there's no hope of me signing up to a contract service with Eir again.

Jim
    I've used letshost.ie for years and find them very good. You can get domain registration for a lot cheaper than €20 pa also as you don't have to use the hosting provider for domain registration. I pay $4-$5 on one of the more obscure top level domains and the only thing I use it for is for updating my free SSL cert, which has to be done every 90 days.

Ironically, my wife has been using a (paid for) Eir indigo.ie address for over 20 years. I've only recently got her off it finally on to our own domain. This is quite a big problem for small businesses, and it's a bit unfair to expect non technically minded business owners to have anticipated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Exactly what I did. Using a .eu domain.

Still a slight bit of control loss with the .eu domain, especially if you lived in the UK or Ireland ever decided to leave. :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Still a slight bit of control loss with the .eu domain, especially if you lived in the UK or Ireland ever decided to leave. :D

Not really. Buying a .eu doesn't require you living in the .eu. You could even be in the UK and just wanting to keep that little bit of .eu :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Short of being towed out into the mid-Atlantic, it's impossible for UK or Ireland to leave .europe...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Short of being towed out into the mid-Atlantic, it's impossible for UK or Ireland to leave .europe...

We would just get stuck on Rockall and still be in Europe :p

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Having looked at the options I can get firstname@myfullname.ie as a new address however when I try to proceed further I keep arriving a point where it's going to be more expensive than eircom.net.

For example with letshost.ie the initial name was only €4.99 but by the time I was finished it was working out at €9.75 per month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I went with Blacknight, €6.95 a year for a .eu domain and €9.99 a year for email-only hosting - plus VAT - just under €21 a year all in.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

It'd be handy if there was a national email service, maintained by an annual fee. Then again, privatisation is clearly fantastic for us consumers.

Privatisation of Telecom begins
    The Government has formally begun the process which will lead to the partial privatisation of Telecom Eireann. Announcing the formal start of the process yesterday the Minister for Transport, Energy and Communications, Mr Lowry said that £220 million from the proceed of the sale will go to Telecom.

Who is Michael Lowry and what's everyone's problem with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I always cringe, when I see a contractors van with contact details in the form of an eircom.net email address on it. Every one of those have to pay now or get the signage changed on their vans

Especially when I see something like

www.joescoaches.com
    mail: joescoaches@eircom.net

Especially when I see something like

www.joescoaches.com
    mail: joescoaches@eircom.net

Those ones take the biscuit ...

/M

Not really. Buying a .eu doesn't require you living in the .eu. You could even be in the UK and just wanting to keep that little bit of .eu :)

/M
    apparently not ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.eu#Brexit

• Advertisement

westgolf wrote: »
    Having looked at the options I can get firstname@myfullname.ie as a new address however when I try to proceed further I keep arriving a point where it's going to be more expensive than eircom.net.

For example with letshost.ie the initial name was only €4.99 but by the time I was finished it was working out at €9.75 per month ?
    I use them for web and email hosting, which I don't think even costs that much. Strange :confused:. The Blackknight email only hosting deal looks hard to beat though.

Advertisement