Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

I went with Blacknight, €6.95 a year for a .eu domain and €9.99 a year for email-only hosting - plus VAT - just under €21 a year all in.

The Blacknight Email Only Plan is for 3 mailboxes at 500MB each.

Webworld ie have an Email Only Plan with 10GB total storage at €25 PA + Vat

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Marlow wrote: »
    Apologies, but you can not complain about your own lack of foresight.

It is seriously unprofessional to rely on the company or business name of another business to conduct your own business.

If you had the foresight and wanted to ensure, that you were always in control, you would not have gone cheapskates with a free email account, but would have purchased your own domain and got mail hosting from a hosting company.

With a domain of your own, you can move from provider to provider keeping your email address and domain.

If you rely on somebody elses domain ... then you have to pay whatever they require. And they can change their pricing any day.

Simple facts of life.

A simple comparison:

- you can take your phone number with you from one premise to another. No problem. That's like the domain.
    - with an eircom email account, what you have is like dialing eircoms main number, then dial an extension to get to you. The name on the door in both occasions is "eircom".

I always cringe, when I see a contractors van with contact details in the form of an eircom.net email address on it. Every one of those have to pay now or get the signage changed on their vans. I mean .. the time to cop on to prevent this was 10 years ago.

/M
    I'm going back to a time here kid when if you lost your phone/sim card you'd have to get a new number. We were told that an email address lasts forever. A domain name back then would have cost an absolute fortune.

Hindsight is a great thing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm going back to a time here kid when if you lost your phone/sim card you'd have to get a new number. We were told that an email address lasts forever. A domain name back then would have cost an absolute fortune.

Hindsight is a great thing for sure.

I have had my own domain since 1998 !! That's 22 years. So no, no hindsight on my behalf.

And yes, I know those times. I had my first mobile in 1994 and it weighed a ton. Luckily GSM was introduced shortly after that and when you went with a decent provider, a SIM card replacement wasn't too difficult. Well .. outside of Ireland anyhow.

And since when would you believe an employee of a privately owned telco (which Eircom has been since around 1996), that the email addresses will last forever and will be free forever.

Eircom sales reps don't precisely have the reputation for getting it right. Not even 10+ years ago.

They could, matter of fact, already have shut them down with the rebranding. Since eircom officially now is rebranded as Eir.

Eircom could also easily have gone bust in the last 20+ years of private ownership. It has changed hands 9 or 10 times for a reason.

I mean .. common sense, please.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I have had my own domain since 1998 !! That's 22 years. So no, no hindsight on my behalf.

And yes, I know those times. I had my first mobile in 1994 and it weighed a ton. Luckily GSM was introduced shortly after that and when you went with a decent provider, a SIM card replacement wasn't too difficult. Well .. outside of Ireland anyhow.

And since when would you believe an employee of a privately owned telco (which Eircom has been since around 1996), that the email addresses will last forever and will be free forever.

Eircom sales reps don't precisely have the reputation for getting it right. Not even 10+ years ago.

They could, matter of fact, already have shut them down with the rebranding. Since eircom officially now is rebranded as Eir.

Eircom could also easily have gone bust in the last 20+ years of private ownership. It has changed hands 9 or 10 times for a reason.

I mean .. common sense, please.

/M

I have had my own domains since 2000 and one of them is that of our surname, intentionally done so we all could have email addresses with "our first name" @ "our surname". Even if my current hosting company were to go south, the domains are mine provided I keep paying for them & can be hosted anywhere. No reliance on any 3rd party email provider.

That said, the average person would have a bit of a learning curve (as I did back in 2000) dealing with hosting their own domain & email accounts, especially the older generation who might not be that Tech savvy.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That said, the average person would have a bit of a learning curve (as I did back in 2000) dealing with hosting their own domain & email accounts, especially the older generation who might not be that Tech savvy.

Agreed. But going with a mail-provider that has nothing to do with your phoneline or broadband would have been common sense. hotmail, gmail, gmx and others were also options.

Because, what happens with your email, when you're not a customer for the other products anymore ?

And the above is somebody, who uses an eircom.net email for his business. Giving eircom free advertising on top of it .. on all their business correspondence ... I mean .. really ? If a business uses online communications, then it wouldn't be too bad to pay for once off consulting to get it all set up proper. Even 20 years ago.

/M

• Advertisement

Agreed. But going with a mail-provider that has nothing to do with your phoneline or broadband would have been common sense. hotmail, gmail, gmx and others were also options.

Because, what happens with your email, when you're not a customer for the other products anymore ?

And the above is somebody, who uses an eircom.net email for his business. Giving eircom free advertising on top of it .. on all their business correspondence ... I mean .. really ? If a business uses online communications, then it wouldn't be too bad to pay for once off consulting to get it all set up proper. Even 20 years ago.

/M

I agree too that anyone in business using an eircom email address is the worst idea ever, regardless of how small the business is, the simple fact is, every business should have their own brand email address.

The likes of Gmail is fine for the average joe I guess, but you can't beat having full control over ownership of your email address.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Its a pain in the arse having a number of accounts with them must be easily 25 years and 9k on one.Started to delete loads and down to half now,still plenty to do as i cannot afford any more outgoings at this time.No internet at work and use my home email addy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

vinby wrote: »
    The Blacknight Email Only Plan is for 3 mailboxes at 500MB each.

100 times more than I had with Eircom

I keep all my mail locally anyway and don't leave anything on the server.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

To be fair eircom is 5GB.
    email needs to be on a server if there is a requirement to keep it in sync on more than 1 device

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Can I notify all my contacts with one e-mail, with a send to all type of message.
    Message " Please change my eMail address from myname@eircom.net to Myname@gmail.com " ..
    If so How ??

Thanks

Jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I would wonder how some, possibly older people or with a learning disability, can manage this change?

Or do they just pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I notify all my contacts with one e-mail, with a send to all type of message.
    Message " Please change my eMail address from myname@eircom.net to Myname@gmail.com " ..
    If so How ??

Thanks

Jay

I think this has been discussed before, so as far as I'm aware it's not possible to do it online.

If you hold all your emails offline on a PC using a program like MS Outlook then it is of course possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

swoofer wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, I was under the impression that this was already charged for with the BB subscription!! When you join eir for BB they said you can have an email account. I cannot recall where it said it was free. And to charge €5.99 a month = €72 a year is extortionate. This is a real rip off.

Can COMREG do anything?

My brother wrote to COMREG recently as he had some specific queries in relation to this Eir e-mail issue.

COMREG replied to say that they have no jurisdiction over the Eir e-mail service at eircom.net :confused:

Question. Is the eircom.net e-mail service regulated by anyone ?

Apologies if already asked but is that €5.99 per month charge inclusive of VAT or is it €5.99 plus VAT. This is not clear from Eir's e-mail notice recently received.

One of the elders of our tribe still uses the Eir dial-up service !
    He retained it simply for e-mails as it was convenient.
    What do I find only that he has 10 e-mail addresses with them.
    No way is he continuing with the new service.

Question. Does he have to do anything to avoid being opted in by default or does he simply do nothing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    One of the elders of out tribe still uses the Eir dial-up service !
    He retained it simply for e-mails as it was convenient.
    What do I find only that he has 10 e-mail addresses with them.
    No way is he continuing with the new service.9

Question. Does he have to do anything to avoid being opted in by default or does he simply do nothing ?

If he does nothing they'll all be killed in a few months

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Question. Is the eircom.net e-mail service regulated by anyone ?

Nope. It's not a regulated product (unlike, say, FTTH). Even if it was, regulation only applies where there's significant market power (regulatory-speak for a monopoly).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

long_b wrote:
    If he does nothing they'll all be killed in a few months

Jeeze, that's a bit drastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Jeeze, that's a bit drastic.

Actual LOLs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

I have a number of eir email addresses that I need to find an alternative for. I don't use webmail, just pop/smtp.

The Blacknight offering would be fine for just over 20 euro per annum but the 3 mailbox limit is too small. (I can't imagine it would suit most families so I think Blacknight might be missing out on business here).

I found another hosting company, irishwebservers.ie that have email hosting from 6 euros per year including 20 email boxes and domain names from 9.95 euro per year.
    https://irishwebservers.ie/services/email-hosting/
    https://irishwebservers.ie/services/domains/
    That would work out at about 20 euro per year including VAT.

Assuming IrishWebServers are reputable am I missing anything else I would need? I assume for example I don't also have to buy a hosting package?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I have a number of eir email addresses that I need to find an alternative for. I don't use webmail, just pop/smtp.

The Blacknight offering would be fine for just over 20 euro per annum but the 3 mailbox limit is too small. (I can't imagine it would suit most families so I think Blacknight might be missing out on business here).
    Our basic email only comes with 3, but you can upgrade.

Assuming IrishWebServers are reputable am I missing anything else I would need? I assume for example I don't also have to buy a hosting package?

Thanks

Never heard of them and there's no tangible contact details on their site that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

Hi mneylon, I assume you work for Blacknight?

You say "Our basic email only comes with 3, but you can upgrade". However you didn't give any further upgrade information?

The only "upgrade" I can find on your website is a link on your "Email Only Hosting" page that says: "Need more? View our business email plans" which brings me to a page titled "Collaborate with your Office 365 online". This page has per user pricing starting at €4.20 per user / month. So for eg a family of 5 it would cost €252+VAT a year.

So for someone looking for more than 3 mailboxes for eg a family is there a cost effective upgrade I've missed on your site?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

You could look at Office 365 email e99/year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hi mneylon, I assume you work for Blacknight?
    he the ceo

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

This email updating business is all right till you get to the first faulty website. (Arrrgh!).

Anyone else having problems with Protect Our Water (or is it just me?) Had to use Lost Password, got the email with a temporary one. It was accepted, but has to be changed before doing anything else. Submitting my new password got 'error processing request' (about as helpful as the old DOS 'bad command or filename'). So back to Lost Password button, but this time the new password was 'sending' indefinitely till 'verification expired'. Same when I tried again this morning.

Or maybe they're just getting too many people at once doing it?

I signed up in 2012, and had forgotten till I got the file out yesterday that the cert expired in 2017. But a notice on the front page of the website says we early signups' certificates will remain valid indefinitely. If that situation changes though, I'd like them to be able to tell me! (They have a Support email, but think I'll charge on down the list a bit before spending more time on this one!).

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I believe Eir got this spectacularly wrong, why not just give this free to to Eir customers forcing non eir customers back.
    Now even as a Eir customer I'm scrambling around changing my email addresses without any loyalty to stay as a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Is there any guarantee there won't be another upheaval even for eir customers who cough up for the sub?

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Is there any guarantee there won't be another upheaval even for eir customers who cough up for the sub?

If you rely on a 3rd party who controls your email addresses, then there's no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Going through the process of changing all the websites you're registered with exposes how badly a lot of mailing lists and websites are run.

Some won't allow you to change at all. OK so. Sign up on the new email. But there's no ability to cancel the old one...

Some will send an email to the old address 'do you really want to change' - which is great, if that address still works.

Some will send a notification email to the old address as well as the new one - better.

Some will only send an email to the new address - risky

With some once you sign into their website you can change whatever details you want, with no notification to the old or new address so not only do you get no warning if someone has hacked your account, you have no idea that the change you legitimately made to your email address has actually worked, until maybe in a month's time or more they send you their usual email

Many will only ask you to input a new email address once, so one typo and...

A sh*t show all around, really.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

What’s the disadvantage of just creating a new gmail address and letting important contacts know of change of email ?

Advertisement