Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Some people may have difficulity in making a change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭greasepalm

banchang wrote: »
    Email says :

'If you decide not to avail of the new eircom.net email service from the 31st of March 2020 you will need to download all the data you have saved within your eircom.net email account to your personal storage before the 31st of March 2020, as the old service will no longer be available.'

When I log on to webmail.eircom.net, my email only goes back to 2/9/2018.

As I will not be availing of the new paid service, how can I get a full download of my email archive data, which goes back many years prior to 2018 ?
    How many emails can you see as mine went back to 2008 by changing the icon from the newest to the oldest and got a few trojan pop ups:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What’s the disadvantage of just creating a new gmail address and letting important contacts know of change of email ?

Google getting hold of all of your email and all of your contacts.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

Changed most to new mail address, however, my bank - no way to change address on line, motor insurance - no way to change on line. Can't find any way to change car tax as yet, I'm sure I'll come up with more....

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Going through the process of changing all the websites you're registered with exposes how badly a lot of mailing lists and websites are run.
    Yes, especially the ones from the early days (& even recent ones) that are still buggy (including some government ones). As if they've never been tested, some of them (would it be that difficult?). That's why I'm doing the websites first, to allow enough time (hopefully) for it to get through to all of them. (Friends & family will be simple!).

Our online banking contacts were no problem (with Ulster Bank), but I haven't got to Motor Tax yet (seems a bit of anger management will be in order there!).

• Advertisement

Well, postal address or surname are the only personal details changeable on Motor Tax Online, so tried asking via their email link. Their reply sent me back to the website page where I started, and I basically repeated my question, so we shall see. The reply to the 1st one was instant, but no reply yet to the 2nd one half an hour ago. Maybe that means someone is thinking......

Meanwhile, I asked in Motors, on the offchance some insider might see it.....

Oh well, back to the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭gipi

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Well, postal address or surname are the only personal details changeable on Motor Tax Online, so tried asking via their email link. Their reply sent me back to the website page where I started, and I basically repeated my question, so we shall see. The reply to the 1st one was instant, but no reply yet to the 2nd one half an hour ago. Maybe that means someone is thinking......

Meanwhile, I asked in Motors, on the offchance some insider might see it.....

Oh well, back to the list!

I'm in the same situation, will watch your progress with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I also asked by email link, but got no answer,let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Why don't people just enter the new email address on the back of their registration cert & send it off to Shannon. Just tick the box for 'change of address etc' enter new email address, date & sign. New cert usually posted back pretty quickly (within a week).

That's what I'd do only that mine is due end of March anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Why don't people just enter the new email address on the back of their registration cert & send it off to Shannon. Just tick the box for 'change of address etc' enter new email address, date & sign. New cert usually posted back pretty quickly (within a week).

That's what I'd do only that mine is due end of March anyway.

Just to change a Email address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Sneaky snakes charged me on this months bill for amazon prime even though I have it free for 12 months

Just be alert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just to change a Email address?
    Yes.
    Less time consuming than trying to ring etc.

Good to know it can be done with the registration cert, if that's the only way. I thought we'd seen the back of having to send the original certs in the post, though (ah - the good old days of getting out the staple-remover every time it came back....)

Just had a look at mine, which instructs 'BLOCK CAPITALS/Must be used'. Maybe an obstacle to some? Motor Tax Online itself has an email address with 1 capital and the rest lower case.... (Note to Self; don't get too sidetracked by the awkward websites!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Haven't Telecom or Eircom or whatever they call themselves now come out with this wheeze before? I have a legacy eircom email address which I use for websites that I don't wish to hear from or their 'partners' and just gets spam mostly, but I recall being advised that it'd be closed quite a few years ago and yet it's kept chugging along. Maybe that suited them.

But for the fact that they own the landline network and will have a huge grasp on the rural broadband network if it's implemented as planned, I'd have nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

catrat12 wrote: »
    Sneaky snakes charged me on this months bill for amazon prime even though I have it free for 12 months

Just be alert

Mine had a charge of 5.99 and a credit of 5.99 so cancelled out and same was on brothers bill maybe double check

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Just had a look at mine, which instructs 'BLOCK CAPITALS/Must be used'. Maybe an obstacle to some? Motor Tax Online itself has an email address with 1 capital and the rest lower case....

Email addresses are not case-sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

greasepalm wrote: »
    How many emails can you see as mine went back to 2008 by changing the icon from the newest to the oldest and got a few trojan pop ups:D

29,540 messages back to 2018, but as I said, I've had this address since the start (early 2000s?).

What icon are you changing ? I have changed the sort/group (under the 'View' dropdown at top right)to ascending & it starts in 2018.

All that does is change the view of mails which are there - I'm wondering where all my pre-2018 mails are ?

I'm in a better position than BarryD2, as I've had nothing to do with eir since cancelling the landline years ago, that turned out to be capable of a theoretical 16 kbps (after they'd insisted that my area was enabled for broadband).

'Eircom' was handier for "accidental" typos, but a couple of descriptive prefixes still came to mind for 'eir'.

Thanks oscarBravo - I forgot they're not case-sensitive.

banchang; if they're still on the eir/eircome server, could you have hit your space allowance there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭28064212

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Email addresses are not case-sensitive.
    Generally true in practice, but technically false (for the username part at least). Most mail servers treat them as case-insensitive, but they can choose to allow case-sensitivity. This case being a public sector IT project, you never know what's going to happen in the background

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭Nollog

28064212 wrote: »
    Generally true in practice, but technically false (for the username part at least). Most mail servers treat them as case-insensitive, but they can choose to allow case-sensitivity. This case being a public sector IT project, you never know what's going to happen in the background

Every company out there seems to think the same, they all accept only lowercase email addresses, I've had to raise tickets on several companies account login pages about how silly it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

catrat12 wrote: »

Just be alert

Are you sure it isn't charged, then removed in the discounts section?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hi mneylon, I assume you work for Blacknight?

You say "Our basic email only comes with 3, but you can upgrade". However you didn't give any further upgrade information?

The only "upgrade" I can find on your website is a link on your "Email Only Hosting" page that says: "Need more? View our business email plans" which brings me to a page titled "Collaborate with your Office 365 online". This page has per user pricing starting at €4.20 per user / month. So for eg a family of 5 it would cost €252+VAT a year.

So for someone looking for more than 3 mailboxes for eg a family is there a cost effective upgrade I've missed on your site?

Thanks.
    I can't overtly promote our services on Boards.ie as I'll get smacked around by the moderators :)

First off - the service Eir is going to start charging for is a single mailbox, which is why we've talked about our email only plan, which is a good replacement.
    We offer a wide variety of email hosting options and in most cases you can add mailboxes or other services. More details over on https://www.blacknight.com/email/

Michele - and yes I'm connected to Blacknight, as I'm the founder and CEO

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

mneylon wrote: »
    I can't overtly promote our services on Boards.ie as I'll get smacked around by the moderators :)

First off - the service Eir is going to start charging for is a single mailbox, which is why we've talked about our email only plan, which is a good replacement.
    We offer a wide variety of email hosting options and in most cases you can add mailboxes or other services. More details over on https://www.blacknight.com/email/

Michele - and yes I'm connected to Blacknight, as I'm the founder and CEO

Sorry Michele, I don't frequent this group so I had no idea who you were. I originally posted here in the hope others might have identified different offerings to yours with more 'reasonably prices' mailbox offerings and would jump in and offer suggestions. I didn't mean to 'encourage' you to promote your offerings against the group charter.

I understand your point that as eir is going to impose a significant charge for a single mailbox your offering of 3 mailboxes is very reasonably priced in that context for someone like a sole trader or indeed anyone who doesn't need more than 3 mailboxes. However my point was that as people/families I know have a lot more than 3 'free' mailboxes (including mine) then they will need and look for the most reasonably priced alternative. So people like me will look for a similar offering to yours but say for eg perhaps 10 mailboxes. When I look at your link above it's a huge jump in cost and services (including paying for website hosting I don't need) if I just want to add a few more mailboxes (am I misreading it?).

Thanks anyway, I'll keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When is the charge coming in from Eir? I don’t have broadband with them

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Gael23 wrote: »
      When is the charge coming in from Eir? I don’t have broadband with them

31/03/2020. Apparently then after 60 days if you haven't set up a payment method they'll shut the mailbox down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

It is not clear from the eir notification email if the €5.99 charge is per Account or per email address ?
      i.e. I have 1 eir broadband A/C which is linked to 2 eircom email addresses.

Is it 1 x €5.99 or 2 x €5.99 ?

The eir notification email came to my main email address only, the email address that was set up first.

Re Motor Tax Online; I found out what the form is (in a rather roundabout way!).

When I emailed them at the address under Contact Us, and received their auto reply (supplying links that didn't apply), I replied to it saying basically 'Thanks, but it's my email address I want to change'. I got a reply to that, telling me what to do, and my email is now updated (and then my husband's done quickly and simply). I'd wondered why I got a real reply when there were others who hadn't, but noticed somewhere down the line that the email address their replies were from is slightly different from the one under the Contact Us link, so maybe that explains it.

Anyway, the thing to do is to first email them via the 'Contact us' link. No need to go into much detail at this stage (in fact I don't know if it matters what you say), as it's just to get their auto reply. Reply to that asking them to update your email address, and give (as on the registration cert) the vehicle registration number, your name and postal address, and the old and new email addresses.

I only noticed by chance a few hours ago that if you scroll far enough down the auto reply, it tells you to do exactly that! (Hence Husband's speedy update). I guess the top section saves them having to tell people what's in plain sight on the website, but I'd assumed the stuff right at the bottom would just be standard small print re data policies etc.

banchang wrote: »
      29,540 messages back to 2018, but as I said, I've had this address since the start (early 2000s?).

What icon are you changing ? I have changed the sort/group (under the 'View' dropdown at top right)to ascending & it starts in 2018.

All that does is change the view of mails which are there - I'm wondering where all my pre-2018 mails are ?

I changed the received icon triangle which changed from my newest emails today to my oldest ones and now left with 1 mail as gmail has now received them

vinby wrote: »
      It is not clear from the eir notification email if the €5.99 charge is per Account or per email address ?
      i.e. I have 1 eir broadband A/C which is linked to 2 eircom email addresses.

Is it 1 x €5.99 or 2 x €5.99 ?

The eir notification email came to my main email address only, the email address that was set up first.

Per account i would say and per month.:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Yes, per email address. Though it is also per that meaning of 'account'. (As opposed to per bill-payer). And per week. Maybe it doesn't sound much per week, but over a year it would have been nearly as much as my car insurance, which is already a stretch for me. (And repeat for Spouse, so it's bye-bye nice little 5-letter name!).

Advertisement