Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I still not got the email notice from Eir about the changes happening to eircom email address from March 31st

I used Eir Webmail on a few occasions and I can still login into eir website webmail to access my emails but mostly been using POP3 setup on mobile phones and email software like outlook/thunderbird etc

A lot of those that have a active eircom email address originally was Indigo Internet customers from 1995
    Telecom Eircom took over Indigo Internet in 1998 and changed these Indigo Internet email address to eircom email address In 1998

Most not had the need to use eir webmail website to access emails and lot have never used it at all but still have an active eircom email address using POP3 setup

There is over 16,000 Indigo Internet email accounts who had their email address changed to eircom.net address in 1998

From what I have seen so far talking to a good few who had eircom email address since then most have not been sent the email from eir

There will be lot who still use eircom email address not aware what's going to happen after March 31st and suddenly find they not receiving emails anymore.

Eir had ignored so far my reminder about the the number of eircom email address affected

Eir replied to me on Twitter all customers got sent the email on February 4th but that's not correct as thousands of eircom email address users not been contacted

Eir need email every single eircom email address no matter how big of a number of users are affected
    All need to be informed what's happening and given the option to accept paying or not
    Eir should not ignore these eircom email users and be left with their email address deleted due to not been informed what going to happen.

There is a lot who dont use Eir Webmail as they not had reason to use it but still have a active eircom email address and access their emails using different setup and due to never using eir webmail website to acces their emails dont have access to webmail
    I know of a good few when they tried to login on eir webmail website they dont have access but still have a active eircom email address.

Yes eir can decide to start charging for use of a eircom email address or even do away with completely but all affected should be contacted

Informing some news outlets of change is not informing all affected email users as a lot might not be aware of the changes happening

One of my friends who still has a active eircom email address and still receives emails using eircom email address but does not use webmail to access his emails when he contacted eir they was not even aware he still had an active eircom email address and told him his email address was not listed on their system how many others out there like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I never got the email from Eir. I have had an eircom.net email address since 1999 or 2000, it wasn't from an Indigo account.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I never got the email from Eir. I have had an eircom.net email address since 1999 or 2000, it wasn't from an Indigo account.

There is a lot not been sent the Email

A lot still use eircom email address its thousands of users

Do you have access to Eir Webmail on their website as a lot dont if they not logged in past 2 years

Those that have access to Webmail on Eir Website apparently will be redirected from March 31st to choose to setup payment option

Problem I can see is what about those at the moment who dont have access to Eir Webmail if they try to login in from March 31st will they be redirected to payment page.

I'm not sure if Eir are even aware about the number of actual Eircom Email users that are affected by this change considering they dont have listed on their system some of these email address

I told Eir a few times a lot of eircom email users not got the email but they repeated all was sent the email on February 4th

What about those that never used webmail on eir website and not got the email

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Friend had to log in to the online portal to see the email in the spam folder - go figure
    At 6 euro a pop it pretty much says we don't want you. I only pay a little bit more than that for a dedicated VPS service with massive bandwidth and decent storage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

On a philosophical note ......

Better to have had a @eircom.net address and lost than never to have emailed at all

A little part of me is dieting

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Friend had to log in to the online portal to see the email in the spam folder - go figure
    At 6 euro a pop it pretty much says we don't want you. I only pay a little bit more than that for a dedicated VPS service with massive bandwidth and decent storage

If most ended up in eir spam folder email sent on February 4th the email would be auto deleted by now

Eir Website
    The emails in the spam folder will be stored for 21 days after which they will be automatically deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I've had an email address with eircom going right back(mid 90's) and have been with eir/eircom as a provider for donkey's years and have still not received the email from the gouging **** informing me of this change.

I only found out about this nonsense this very morning reading this helpful thread and I only looked for this thread because my eircom account is for some reason refusing to log on since last night, telling me my account deets are wrong(through both email clients and their joke of a webmail).

I'd echo what others have said, IE what the hell are they "thinking"? I for one will be moving my custom from Eir entirely and will be suggesting same to everyone I know and deal with and there would be a fair number that would ask for and take my advice on something like this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DaveHD

My notification went into the spam/junk folder

"Apt"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

paulboland wrote: »
    Do you have access to Eir Webmail on their website as a lot dont if they not logged in past 2 years

Yes, I used it successfully to send a couple of unsubscribe messages last week, as my email client is now set up to send from my new address only. I would very rarely use webmail though, but until a few weeks ago the eircom.net address was what I used for everything online.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Re all eir customers supposedly being emailed about it, I think eir used 'customers' in the sense of people who are paying them for something, but without making that clear. Typical of their slippery language (not that all their paying customers got the email anyway, apparently).

I'm the tech user in this house, but heard about this eircom.net event from my husband, who heard it down the pub, due to someone spotting a newspaper item about it.

He only just missed being unceremoniously booted out of his eircom.net email a few years back, when they 'announced' that those accounts would be removed if 'inactive' for a certain period.

I'd only heard about that one because a forum topic here caught my eye on the way to something else, and by the time I'd got Eircom/eir to define 'inactive', 'account' and 'accessing your eircom.net account', it was the 11th hour. Think it took 3 weeks of going round in circles just to find out if using a 3rd-party webmail viewer counted as 'access' (no), and then to find out whether just logging in and out of eir webmail counted as accessing it. (Can't remember - headache threatening already! And that was only his email; mine was ok as I'd recently been direct to webmail, to diagnose sonething else. And eir still had a forum then).

I know eir didn't have to let us keep the old addresses, and that their people on the public frontline do all they're equipped to - it's the vague language of the company policies I find so annoying.

Probably exacerbated by having wasted over a year of time and headbanging once on an official Eircom complaint. The vagueness caused delays all the way through, then only when it was next step Comreg did they deliver the fatal blow, with a legal point that even my very helpful ISP tech guy wasn't aware of, and that they could have told us to start with.

Give me the small print of a regular business contract any time! (Our work was running a series of small businessess including building, where even the humblest Small Works Contract included definitions of the words used in the spec).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Out of 3 accounts i only got 1 notification.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My eircom account has been down for a day now, says username/password not recognised, go to their webmail "service" and it logs in but shows nothing. Looks like my account is gone already and it's not March yet, never mind the end of same. Contacting their so called helpline got nothing in return. And these chancers want money for this non-existent service? Luckily I have my own domain since way back and all my email will go that way from now on and am actively looking for any alternative for my other existing Eir "services".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Didn't get any email, if it wasn't for boards would have never known.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ruffmut

I found the email from eir in my junk folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Wibbs wrote: »
    My eircom account has been down for a day now, says username/password not recognised, go to their webmail "service" and it logs in but shows nothing. Looks like my account is gone already and it's not March yet, never mind the end of same. Contacting their so called helpline got nothing in return. And these chancers want money for this non-existent service? Luckily I have my own domain since way back and all my email will go that way from now on and am actively looking for any alternative for my other existing Eir "services".

I did have issues like yourself and tried on another pc and straight in and not too sure if it was to do with cookies or cache needing clearing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

medoc wrote: »
    On a PC/Laptop if you click on the little “cog” symbol on the right and click settings. There is an import tab. Enter your Eircom address and password. It asks do you want to leave the emails on the Eir server after transfer or delete them. I imported about 1.9 gb of emails going back years. They come into your gmail box as unread. Click all and mark as read. I’m describing this from memory. Any issues and I’ll be on pc tomorrow and describe it in detail if needed.

Thanks.
    It seems work

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Anyone having trouble getting into their emails?
    I got on yesterday, but today after i log in, it shoots off to a page that shows Mobile, email protector and Support.
    No email account showing or opening. this is still February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble getting into their emails?
    I got on yesterday, but today after i log in, it shoots off to a page that shows Mobile, email protector and Support.
    No email account showing or opening. this is still February.
    Same here, I think we are kicked out.

How can we be kicked out? Dont we have until the end of march to move?
    I've been looking at a couple of 'is it down sites' and there are a lot of complaints.
    Wouldn't you think, if there is a tech problem, eircom would have a popup saying 'sorry we have a problem'?
    It is a tragedy trying to contact eircom. Are there any live people there at all?
    I'm on hold, i might get some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

august12 wrote: »
    Same here, I think we are kicked out.

Same here, happened before also and was down for a day and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have 2 eircom addresses that I have used for decades but got no email notice from them

Is it reasonable to assume that they would know how to prevent the mail from getting blocked by their own spam filter?

According to the person I spoke to just now, they didn't realise they had a problem with the webmail until they started to get loads of calls this morning.
    They have people working on it now she said. I said that it seems to have been happening these past couple of days. so then she said it's on and off.
    Maybe it's not priority at the moment:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

I will absolutely be paying the €5.99 a month. I've had eir webmail since I started using email.

That said I'll be moving my landline, broadband and 3 mobiles in August when the contract is up which will lose them €180 a month.

Still... They'll have their €5.99 a month so I guess they'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

westgolf wrote: »
    Same here, happened before also and was down for a day and a half.

Click on the “basic” version before you login and it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Click on the “basic” version before you login and it should work.

Just tried that. same result. didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

- Mine in down too.

- I heard from a guy that sends email reminders to a club emailing list that a lot of messages sent to eircom.net addresses are bouncing back in recent days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

vinby wrote: »
    - Mine in down too.

- I heard from a guy that sends email reminders to a club emailing list that a lot of messages sent to eircom.net addresses are bouncing back in recent days.

Who do I complain to? My email is down having been notified of the likelyhood and not paying 5.99 per month for the service.

It's my rite to be connected to purveyors of spam.:D

People who have followed the instructions to move their emails to Gmail, does it also move all the old mails sent and received, or just redirects the fresh ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I was locked out today too, but tried again a while ago and could log in as normal.

Yes, wish they would put a 'temporarily down' alert on the webmail login page. It would have saved me getting imbroiled for hours in yet another bracket.

That included trying the import to Gmail solution abovementioned somewhere, but for some reason I couldn't get It to work (must be some different circumstance or other here). For some reason it triggered constant notifications from Gmail requiring confirmation of email address, password & server, that wouldn't accept the combinations I tried. (They seem to have stopped now as mysteriously.as they started!).

I suppose isdownrightnow can't check behind the login page as it would be private. (Come on eir - how hard can it be to flag up things like this? It's not as if it's a new question!).

Edit - just seen the post re eir not having realised!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Such a joke of a service. Waiting hours to log in today.Been using it for over 15 years. Sorted through 10k of emails and have now switched to outlook.ie. Good riddance Eir

Advertisement