Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Irish New Curriculum HL

Options
  • 04-02-2020 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. It looks as though the teachers themselves arent quiet sure how the new JC Irish paper will be laid out. I found online sample papers and I can see that one of the question are asking the students to re-write the ending of their story, they studied?

Are they trying to kill the love of the language through torture?
    I had paid a small fortune for grinds and he taught my son how to write a letter, the structure, useful phrases etc , and thats not even in the new exams now?

Apologies for the rant, but I have a child that is averaging Bs in all subjects, but severely struggling in the Irish, I wanted to take a picture of him crying and send it to the department of education, and ask them how can they expect them to do CBA's, homework and study on something there is little or no structure in?

Would anyone have any suggestions on how or what we could do? Would people recommend the Easter Revision courses? are they worth it? and importantly would they even know how to guide the students towards the new exam?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

animum wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. It looks as though the teachers themselves arent quiet sure how the new JC Irish paper will be laid out. I found online sample papers and I can see that one of the question are asking the students to re-write the ending of their story, they studied?

Are they trying to kill the love of the language through torture?
    I had paid a small fortune for grinds and he taught my son how to write a letter, the structure, useful phrases etc , and thats not even in the new exams now?

Apologies for the rant, but I have a child that is averaging Bs in all subjects, but severely struggling in the Irish, I wanted to take a picture of him crying and send it to the department of education, and ask them how can they expect them to do CBA's, homework and study on something there is little or no structure in?

Would anyone have any suggestions on how or what we could do? Would people recommend the Easter Revision courses? are they worth it? and importantly would they even know how to guide the students towards the new exam?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thank you

I can echo your sentiments, the students (and teachers) seem to be completely in the dark about the new curriculum. My child has just started finished their JC mock in Higher Irish and despite averaging about 60% until now reckons they're going to get about 20%, it was that tricky. Like you my child does very well in every other subject but it seems likely now that they will be forced to change to "Ordinary" level Irish, and even at that all that higher level has taught them is that they now absolutely HATE Irish.

I'm not even sure how practical it is to change to ordinary level Irish at this late stage but it would appear that the last few years of Higher Irish (and grinds) have been completely useless.

Like you, my child is getting extremely stressed by Irish and I really don't think its fair to force this upon them. I can't help with a solution but I can assure you you're not alone.

Advertisement