Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I just watched it leave Dresden airport :) I work 4 KM away from there. The Germany lads here wondering why it is going to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Would the crew on board have a specially chartered flight back? Or will it be, flight to dublin and then onwards?
    No flights out of Knock after they arrive today I think. So, probably rent a car and drive to Dublin or Shannon.

Pure White in Color.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

747 on finals SNN.

Feast or famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

gar32 wrote: »
    I just watched it leave Dresden airport :) I work 4 KM away from there. The Germany lads here wondering why it is going to Ireland?

It is being decommissioned/scrapped.

• Advertisement

Will this be the first time one has landed in Ireland? I think we have had fly-bys though.

Would be a curious situation if we have up to four landing, but none ever departing from here.

<edit> Never mind. I see they have landed at Shannon (and left again),

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

plodder wrote: »
    Will this be the first time one has landed in Ireland? I think we have had fly-bys though.

Would be a curious situation if we have up to four landing, but none ever departing from here.

Several have been to Shannon both on test and for medical emergencies.

Airbus A380 development test flights used Shannon in 2006 for crosswind and RTO testing.

BA conducted crosswind tests at Shannon with an A380 in 2013 and announced Shannon as it's preferred alternate destination for the A380s and have used Shannon in 2014 and 2016 for an A380 diversion.

In 2017 an AF A380 made an emergency landing there, I seem to recall an issue after it's fuel dump resulting in fuel contamination of Shannons runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Apologies if this has been answered in the 27 pages! There isnt a hanger to take this in Knock is there? where will it be broken down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No, Shannon has had 380's before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

One would assume that it will be parked outside, have the parts ripped out of it, then it will be crushed with a chain, so need for it to be indoor.

dashoonage wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been answered in the 27 pages! There isnt a hanger to take this in Knock is there? where will it be broken down ?

It will be done out in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes, it's flying to NOC and wont ever fly out

It's going for parting out ie decomissioning.

Google eirtradeaviation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

its at FL 430!!!

It had leveled off at Fl280 for a couple of minutes.

503366.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

thanks all. were following in work here and people we asking indoor/outdoor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

RTE no doubt will be there to cover it when it lands (Or i should hope so being a huge deal for Knock)

I imagine the really valuable parts are the engines and once removed they can be dismantled indoors. The fuselage will be broken up outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

This makes me way more sad than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Love the call sign AFR373S S is probaly for Scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I imagine the really valuable parts are the engines and once removed they can be dismantled indoors.
    They wont be broken up.

But there should now be a good Irish market for aircraft seats :)

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    They wont be broken up.

But there should now be a good Irish market for aircraft seats :)

I seem to recall reading the interior has already been stripped out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Is it due to arrive in about 40 minutes or so?

smurfjed wrote: »
    They wont be broken up.

They certainly have disassembled some engines for parts. Why do you think not in this case?

https://eirtradeaviation.com/news/

They certainly have disassembled some engines for parts. Why do you think not in this case?

https://eirtradeaviation.com/news/

They 100% WON’T scrap the engines, why ? Because they are worth millions each and with loads of life left in them they’d be mental to do it. That’s besides the fact neither Air France, Dr Pepper or EirTrade will actually own them.

Will there be more A380's scrapped in Knock after this ?

Will there be more A380's scrapped in Knock after this ?

3 more apparently.

They 100% WON’T scrap the engines, why ? Because they are worth millions each and with loads of life left in them they’d be mental to do it. That’s besides the fact neither Air France, Dr Pepper or EirTrade will actually own them.
    I don't follow that logic at all. They are obviously worth a lot as spare parts as well. Who owns them though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Over the Irish sea now

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Half way across the Irish sea now.

• Advertisement

I don't follow that logic at all. They are obviously worth a lot as spare parts as well. Who owns them though?

Usually the engine manufacturer themselves or a leasing company.

Advertisement