Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Tow

I can help thinking with her fully loaded 15,000 km range and much further if striped out etc. She would be the ideal aircraft to 'rescue' Irish stuck in Peru, Australia etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'm not sure if EIKN's runway is long enough for takeoff, to be honest with you. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Tow wrote: »
    I can help thinking with her fully loaded 15,000 km range and much further if striped out etc. She would be the ideal aircraft to 'rescue' Irish stuck in Peru, Australia etc.

There's plenty of other capable aircraft sitting on the ground that could do that, with a hell of a lot less red tape.

Lurching wrote: »
    There's plenty of other capable aircraft sitting on the ground that could do that, with a hell of a lot less red tape.

If the Irish government needed such a large aircraft to bring people home, they could always do what the civil aviation authority in the UK did when Thompson went bust and simply charter and A380 from the likes of Singapore airlines or whomever.

That would seem a bit simpler than all the hassle of getting the one at Knock up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Tow wrote: »

Aircraft has been decommissioned, no AOC no operator. 1000's of suitable aircraft available for charter right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Just a quick update, if anyone's interested: went there this morning, and, as expected, nothing's changed since my last visit. No changes, hence no photos. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

IQO wrote: »
    Air France

Unprecedented times for the whole aviation industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭hopeso

Hard to say what will happen to the one at Knock now....It’s potential value as a source of spare parts must have plummeted. There will be fewer A380’s flying after this, and a lot more of them available as a source of spares.
    If whoever does own it has taken a hit, it might put an end to any more of them coming to Knock?

hopeso wrote: »
    Hard to say what will happen to the one at Knock now....It’s potential value as a source of spare parts must have plummeted. There will be fewer A380’s flying after this, and a lot more of them available as a source of spares.
    If whoever does own it has taken a hit, it might put an end to any more of them coming to Knock?

If parts do take a hit, it might actually make it cheaper for some airlines to keep theirs in service - hoovering up those parts.
    The market will find its balance in the next year or two and I'd imagine quite a few A380's will continue to fly (particularly if the oil price remains low).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Seems like every day now there's news of airlines grounding their A380 fleets.

The future looks increasingly precarious for the big jet now. Emirates are currently trying to cancel a number of frames they have on order.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericrosen/2020/05/20/air-france-retiring-all-airbus-a380s-immediately/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Emirates will continue to fly them though. They make up nearly half their fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Emirates will continue to fly them though. They make up nearly half their fleet.

I'd guess that 2-3 years from now,or even sooner, Emirates will be the only operator of the type.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Board Walker

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Board Walker

• Registered Users Posts: 34,601 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wasn't it always said that a 380 didn't really work for freight because it ran out of weight long before it ran out of volume? Strengthening floors and adding cargo doors is going to add to the airframe weight, obviously they will remove the passenger equipment, but still...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Forgetting about the parts, would the scrapping of them be able to make a bit of profit on the back of the scrap value of the metals?

If not, then it looks like aircraft scrapping will go like ship scrapping - off to the likes of India and Bangladesh where they'll be chopped up with minimal costs on account of zero thought given to H&S or the environment. Take a look at Chittagong ship breakers to see the level that they operate at over there. I could not expect any different if they start scrapping planes over there.

Imagine if plane scrapping becomes unprofitable in Europe and other developed places. It'll be like this....

"No training, no medical care, no safety. treat him like and animal. If he dies, who cares? Replace him with another one."

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Wasn't it always said that a 380 didn't really work for freight because it ran out of weight long before it ran out of volume? Strengthening floors and adding cargo doors is going to add to the airframe weight, obviously they will remove the passenger equipment, but still...

If there is a demand to move high volume light weight PPE to wherever the next epicentre happens to be for the next couple of years, it could make sense. It does seem to be the beginning of the end for the A380 though.

Forgetting about the parts, would the scrapping of them be able to make a bit of profit on the back of the scrap value of the metals?

A tiny fraction of the value of scrapping an aircraft lies in the metal.
    It's all in the components and engines, particularly where there's remaining green time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

One A380 took to the skies yesterday. First time in over 2 months.

https://simpleflying.com/british-airways-airbus-a380-manila/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭john boye

One A380 took to the skies yesterday. First time in over 2 months.

https://simpleflying.com/british-airways-airbus-a380-manila/

There was a China Southern one in Heathrow too. They haven't stopped flying theirs throughout this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Rawr

Makes me wonder if it would be feasible / possible to turn an A380 into a sort of Combi Frieghter / Passenger plane. Lower deck freight, and upper deck passenger cabin as usual.

That's assuming you have routes where there's decent enough demand for both freight and passenger travel.

Rawr wrote: »
    That's assuming you have routes where there's decent enough demand for both freight and passenger travel.

The majority of air freight goes on normal passenger flights.
    Dedicated freighters carry a fraction of the world's air-freight.

(or, at least that's true for Lufthansa - 90% of their freight goes on pax flights)

It appears that the dismantling of F-HPJB has finally started at Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The last (probably) Air France A380 flight took place today. I wonder if any more of them will be headed for Knock in the coming months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

hopeso wrote: »
    It appears that the dismantling of F-HPJB has finally started at Knock.
    I wonder would they sell me a set of First Class seats. Would be great in the Man Cave.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I wonder would they sell me a set of First Class seats. Would be great in the Man Cave.

They have contact info on their website. Can't hurt to ask...... https://eirtradeaviation.com

• Registered Users Posts: 23,343 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think the price might be sky high!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Would the aircraft not go for scrapping with cabin interior removed?

EDIT: Nope, just watching an episode of Plane Reclaimers and the just delivered 737 has a fully equipped cabin.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    I think the price might be sky high!!

Very likely.... But on the other hand, there won't be much demand for second hand A380 seating with the current situation....

Advertisement