Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knock/Eirtrade thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Some very strong gusts here near Knock and very heavy hail shower...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Anybody know would that road around the opposite side of the runway be any good for viewing or were would be good? What’s the chances of the guards been around blocking roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

masit wrote: »
    Anybody know would that road around the opposite side of the runway be any good for viewing or were would be good? What’s the chances of the guards been around blocking roads?
    I would have thought a good spot, assuming they haven't blocked it, but don't see why they would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

“Competitive spotting”.
    Should be made a sport, full contact allowed :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

easypazz wrote: »
    How many runways are there in Knock?

One (08 and 26, they used to be 09 and 27).

Incidentally, how often does a change in the North Magnetic Pole affect Irish airports?

masit wrote: »

Not likely I would imagine. Park and act sensibly and they might even hold your ladder while you stand on it. Don’t block exits. Don’t park on junctions. Don’t park on grass that looks like it is being maintained.

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I would have thought a good spot, assuming they haven't blocked it, but don't see why they would

Got as far as I could on google street view and from a distance you can see the airport so I’m sure there is a good view.

Just incase it’s not showing up on Flightradar24. Has it taken off yet? Or what’s the estimate take off time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

If you have doubts about FlightRadar, then check our adsbexchange.com as they refuse to block anything.

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    If you have doubts about FlightRadar, then check our adsbexchange.com as they refuse to block anything.

Oh thanks, Forgot about that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

Up on Flight Radar now

She’s up on flight radar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭plodder

Why is there no destination set? I had set an alert for DRS - NOC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Rawr

She's moving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Delta1Rescue

There is a destination if you search for flights between Dresden and Knock. It show an updated departure of 14:39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

There is a destination if you search for flights between Dresden and Knock. It show an updated departure of 14:39

14:39 German time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Seems to be sitting on the taxiway now.

Moving now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

GM228 wrote: »
    Incidentally, how often does a change in the North Magnetic Pole affect Irish airports?
    The magnetic declination in Ireland has changed quite a lot over the years. Here in Wicklow it's changed from 9.25 deg W in 1980 to a mere 2.76 deg W at the start of 2019 and is decreasing all the time. Currently in London at the Greenwich meridian it's a big fat zero.

So if runway directions are actually based on magnetic bearings, I'd say the correct answer to your question should be "quite often".

Here's the data for Knock airport ...

Year Mag Dec
    1980 -10.78
    1985 -9.94
    1990 -9.12
    1995 -8.43
    2000 -7.44
    2005 -6.53
    2010 -5.64
    2015 -4.67
    2020 -3.62

• Advertisement

Lift off

Alun wrote: »
    So if runway directions are actually based on magnetic bearings, I'd say the correct answer to your question should be "quite often".

They are, runway numbers are determined by rounding the compass bearing of one runway end to the nearest 10 degrees and truncating the last digit, meaning runways are numbered from 1 to 36, and of course the opposite end of the runway always differs by 180 degrees, so it’s numbered 18 higher or lower.  

And now showing on FR as destination "Knock", and to think of all who said it was a wind up, will never happen etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Odelay

Shes off like a rocket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

GM228 wrote: »
    And now showing on FR as destination "Knock", and to think of all who said it was a wind up, will never happen etc.

So satisfying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

503363.png

Stopped climb at FL280.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Stopped climb at FL280.

Still climbing past that.

Latest weather at Knock

METAR EIKN 201400Z 26022KT 9999 VCSH SCT019CB SCT024 04/00 Q1007 NOSIG=

Wind warning, valid 3 - 5 pm:
    EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 201215/201700 WIND SFC W 20-25KT MAX 35-40 FCST=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

Is there anyone streaming the landing on YouTube or the likes? Or even, would anyone get a video of the landing for those of us who sadly couldn’t make the trip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Stopped climb at FL280.

its at FL 430!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

If the first ones are being scrapped after just 10 years service, how long before they disappear from the skies completely?
    Any guesses?
    Another decade maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

SX

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Would the crew on board have a specially chartered flight back? Or will it be, flight to dublin and then onwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Andrew33 wrote: »
    If the first ones are being scrapped after just 10 years service, how long before they disappear from the skies completely?
    Any guesses?
    Another decade maybe?

Emirates plan on keeping theirs till around 2035 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Any guesses?
    Another decade maybe?

Last few of them will be flying in 2035 and would possible continue flying into 2040.

The first few planes are getting this early because they were fresh of the production line and had problems which were identified and rectified by Airbus which was implemented on the current production line. It's a very common practice among aircraft manufacturers.

its at FL 430!!!
    That’s why I love flying at 450, so that those monsters are always below me :)

Have you seen the report about the Challenger that flew underneath a 380?

Would the crew on board have a specially chartered flight back?
    Nope.

They might get a chartered aircraft to bring them to the A380 if it had to move in a hurry, but on the way home, not a hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭greenpilot

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Is there anyone streaming the landing on YouTube or the likes? Or even, would anyone get a video of the landing for those of us who sadly couldn’t make the trip?

There will be footage n 4k. And HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I just watched it leave Dresden airport :) I work 4 KM away from there. The Germany lads here wondering why it is going to Ireland?

Would the crew on board have a specially chartered flight back? Or will it be, flight to dublin and then onwards?
    No flights out of Knock after they arrive today I think. So, probably rent a car and drive to Dublin or Shannon.

Pure White in Color.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

747 on finals SNN.

Feast or famine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭GBX

gar32 wrote: »
    I just watched it leave Dresden airport :) I work 4 KM away from there. The Germany lads here wondering why it is going to Ireland?

It is being decommissioned/scrapped.

• Advertisement

Will this be the first time one has landed in Ireland? I think we have had fly-bys though.

Would be a curious situation if we have up to four landing, but none ever departing from here.

<edit> Never mind. I see they have landed at Shannon (and left again),

plodder wrote: »
    Will this be the first time one has landed in Ireland? I think we have had fly-bys though.

Would be a curious situation if we have up to four landing, but none ever departing from here.

Several have been to Shannon both on test and for medical emergencies.

Airbus A380 development test flights used Shannon in 2006 for crosswind and RTO testing.

BA conducted crosswind tests at Shannon with an A380 in 2013 and announced Shannon as it's preferred alternate destination for the A380s and have used Shannon in 2014 and 2016 for an A380 diversion.

In 2017 an AF A380 made an emergency landing there, I seem to recall an issue after it's fuel dump resulting in fuel contamination of Shannons runway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Apologies if this has been answered in the 27 pages! There isnt a hanger to take this in Knock is there? where will it be broken down ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

plodder wrote: »

No, Shannon has had 380's before

• Advertisement
Advertisement