Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parent's Benefit

Options
  • 04-02-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information on the new Parent's Benefit? Does it mean you get an extra two weeks paid leave in addition to the 26 weeks paid Maternity Benefit plus the 16 weeks unpaid Maternity Leave i.e that in the first year of a child's life, you'd have 28 weeks paid and 16 weeks unpaid?

I checked out the blurb on welfare.ie (https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/parent-benefit.aspx) but it's not clear to me. TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

That's exactly what it means yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Super thanks! I better tell my HR department - I don't think it's on her radar. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Does anyone know if we are getting any extra weeks for Parent’s Benefit this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Great info.
    We are expecting our first baby and glad to have extra 2 weeks paid. Is it paid towards mother or father?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Great info.
    We are expecting our first baby and glad to have extra 2 weeks paid. Is it paid towards mother or father?

Both the mother and father get 2 weeks each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Millem wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we are getting any extra weeks for Parent’s Benefit this year?

As far as I know, it's for the parents of babies born since November 2019, so if you have a baby this year, you'll qualify :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

CheerLouth wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's for the parents of babies born since November 2019, so if you have a baby this year, you'll qualify :)

It’s available on myWelfare.ie to apply for as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

So is the father entitled to 4 weeks now?

Rave.ef wrote: »

Yes, 2 weeks paternity leave and 2 weeks parents leave

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Rave.ef wrote: »

Yes two weeks Paternity and two weeks Parents Leave.

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »

Sorry I mean an extra weeks....it is meant to be extended by something like 7 weeks by 2021.

Sorry I mean an extra weeks....it is meant to be extended by something like 7 weeks by 2021.

I haven’t seen any reference to it being planned to extend beyond the 2 weeks. Parental leave is being extended to 26 weeks this September.

bee06 wrote: »
    I haven’t seen any reference to it being planned to extend beyond the 2 weeks. Parental leave is being extended to 26 weeks this September.

Yes when it was announced they said
    “ The Government has promised to gradually increase parental leave to seven weeks by 2021.”

The bill to be published today also proposes to address a gap in the law, which prevents a male same-sex couple from receiving adoptive leave and benefit.
    That is from Irish Independent but if you google loads of hits will come up.

I had actually emailed Regina Doherty on it before Christmas.

I am aware of the unpaid parental leave....I am taking that this year.

https://assets.gov.ie/35823/9198914f965a4fedb193f04cd76b187e.pdf

First 5 is a collaborative effort across Government. Key achievements across other Departments to date includes:
    ▪ The recent publication of the Parents Leave and Benefits Bill, which will provide for an individual entitlement to two weeks of paid parental leave per parent (up to a potential four weeks in total per child) from November 2019 (with a commitment to extend the individual entitlement to seven weeks of paid parental leave per parent by 2021).

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

I think it's due to be extended again in November though that could change with a new government. So far only children born on or after the date of the change are eligible for the increased weeks. So if you've had your baby already the increase wont apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

https://assets.gov.ie/35823/9198914f965a4fedb193f04cd76b187e.pdf

First 5 is a collaborative effort across Government. Key achievements across other Departments to date includes:
    ▪ The recent publication of the Parents Leave and Benefits Bill, which will provide for an individual entitlement to two weeks of paid parental leave per parent (up to a potential four weeks in total per child) from November 2019 (with a commitment to extend the individual entitlement to seven weeks of paid parental leave per parent by 2021).

All that’s in legislation at the moment Is the two weeks for babies born after Nov 1st 2019. I assume that if/when they extend the leave they’ll have to amend the legislation, so it will only apply to babies born after that’s done?

zapper55 wrote: »
    I think it's due to be extended again in November though that could change with a new government. So far only children born on or after the date of the change are eligible for the increased weeks. So if you've had your baby already the increase wont apply to you.
    Ok that’s grand....didn’t know what date they were going to pick. I am sure it will all change now anyway with new Gov!
    As it stands it’s not getting topped up anyway :(

Yes when it was announced they said
    “ The Government has promised to gradually increase parental leave to seven weeks by 2021.”

The bill to be published today also proposes to address a gap in the law, which prevents a male same-sex couple from receiving adoptive leave and benefit.
    That is from Irish Independent but if you google loads of hits will come up.

I had actually emailed Regina Doherty on it before Christmas.

I am aware of the unpaid parental leave....I am taking that this year.

Ah interesting, I was checking Citizens information which has no mention. My employer isn’t topping up either even though we have full pay for maternity leave. For paternity leave we’re always had 6 weeks fully paid and they are counting the 2 weeks parents leave within the 6 weeks rather than 6 weeks full + 2 weeks statutory.

Ah interesting, I was checking Citizens information which has no mention. My employer isn’t topping up either even though we have full pay for maternity leave. For paternity leave we’re always had 6 weeks fully paid and they are counting the 2 weeks parents leave within the 6 weeks rather than 6 weeks full + 2 weeks statutory.

I get topped up for maternity leave too but the Government announced they will not top up Parent’s Benefit for all the public sector/civil service :(
    Our union trying to get them to reconsider.

That is absolutely shocking re paternity leave....has anyone challenged it?

I wonder is the Parent’s leave/benefit 2x 7 days or 2x 5 days. I think it’s 7 days.
    Basically my wages are over 7 days but it’s a 5 day working week. It is a bit of an anomaly so I can finish unpaid maternity leave on a Friday and get paid for Saturday and Sunday if that makes sense?

Does these 4 weeks leave for father need to be used within 1 year of baby's birth?
    Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Yes, 2 weeks paternity leave and 2 weeks parents leave

• Advertisement

Does these 4 weeks leave for father need to be used within 1 year of baby's birth?

The paternity leave must be used within 6 months and the parents leave within the year.

Thanks so much!
    It's all clear now
    The paternity leave must be used within 6 months and the parents leave within the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I

That is absolutely shocking re paternity leave....has anyone challenged it?

Yes it has been challenged, unsuccessfully. WRC case of An Area Manager v A Transport Company ADJ-0000577 see details here https://www.williamfry.com/newsandinsights/news-article/2017/09/22/failure-to-top-up-salary-during-paternity-leave-not-discriminatory-finds-wrc

I personally think it's clear cut discrimination but the WRC disagreed. Pity it didn't go to one of the courts, would be interested to see their viewpoint

xalot wrote: »
    Yes it has been challenged, unsuccessfully. WRC case of An Area Manager v A Transport Company ADJ-0000577 see details here https://www.williamfry.com/newsandinsights/news-article/2017/09/22/failure-to-top-up-salary-during-paternity-leave-not-discriminatory-finds-wrc

I personally think it's clear cut discrimination but the WRC disagreed. Pity it didn't go to one of the courts, would be interested to see their viewpoint

That’s a different situation. In my companies case, fathers used to get 2 weeks paternity topped up plus and additional 4 weeks full pay. Since parents leave was introduced they still get 2 weeks paternity topped up plus 2 weeks parents leave topped up plus 2 additional weeks. So they technically aren’t losing anything but also not benefitting from the introduction of parents leave. They are still better off than the statutory requirement.

That’s a different situation. In my companies case, fathers used to get 2 weeks paternity topped up plus and additional 4 weeks full pay. Since parents leave was introduced they still get 2 weeks paternity topped up plus 2 weeks parents leave topped up plus 2 additional weeks. So they technically aren’t losing anything but also not benefitting from the introduction of parents leave. They are still better off than the statutory requirement.

Are they not losing out on 2 weeks topped up pay?

Are they not losing out on 2 weeks topped up pay?

No, before and after they get 6 weeks fully paid. But since parents leave was introduced it will cost the company less because 2 weeks statutory pay is due that the company now doesn’t have to pay.

No, before and after they get 6 weeks fully paid. But since parents leave was introduced it will cost the company less because 2 weeks statutory pay is due that the company now doesn’t have to pay.

Is that not the same thing as what I said?
    Before they got 6 weeks full pay.
    Now they get 4 weeks full pay and 2 weeks @ €245 per week?
    The male worker is down 2 weeks of a top up?

€245 per week.

IMHO that is discrimination. The male workers should get the original 6 weeks topped up plus 2 weeks @ €245
    Per week. If they have a union they should get them to fight that.

If the above example is incorrect and male workers are getting topped up how can they get away with topping up men for parent’s benefit and not female workers. More discrimination!!

Is that not the same thing as what I said?
    Before they got 6 weeks full pay.
    Now they get 4 weeks full pay and 2 weeks @ €245 per week?
    The male worker is down 2 weeks of a top up?

€245 per week.

IMHO that is discrimination. The male workers should get the original 6 weeks topped up plus 2 weeks @ €245
    Per week. If they have a union they should get them to fight that.

If the above example is incorrect and male workers are getting topped up how can they get away with topping up men for parent’s benefit and not female workers. More discrimination!!

My reading of the situation is that the male workers got 6 weeks fully paid and the company got 2 payments of state paternity leave towards that. The workers still get 6 weeks fully paid but the company now also get 2 payments of parents leave towards that. The male employees are in exactly the same situation but it’s costing the company less as they’re now getting 4 payments of 245 (or whatever it is at the moment).

My reading of the situation is that the male workers got 6 weeks fully paid and the company got 2 payments of state paternity leave towards that. The workers still get 6 weeks fully paid but the company now also get 2 payments of parents leave towards that. The male employees are in exactly the same situation but it’s costing the company less as they’re now getting 4 payments of 245 (or whatever it is at the moment).

Ok but the female employees are not getting their parent’s benefit topped up.
    Bee said previously her company were not topping up her Parent’s Benefit.

• Advertisement

That’s exactly it. Thanks!

Advertisement