Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring 3rd car for family + 2 learners

• 04-02-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi

We already have 2 cars - both auto - and we want to get a cheap car for general use and for the kids to learn to drive in.

If I buy it, register it and put the kids (both under 20) on it as learners, will my NCB count for this car (I have full NCB with my current provider).

We're thinking of buying a 1.0-1.2L small hatchback so should be very cheap for me as long as the NCB is recognised.

Can I go to any insurer, how will it work?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Who will you name as the main driver of the third car?

If you or your other half, the insurance company will see this as a clear case of 'fronting', where a person with a full licence and an NCB is named as the main driver but it's blindingly obvious that a learner will do most of the driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wiresandmore

Understood - but how could a learner (who can't drive alone) have it as their primary car? The car will also be used my myself and my wife too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Why would you need 3 cars? Sell one of the current cars and replace it with the learner car. The learners will need one of you in the car with them anyway until they pass their test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Two adults can’t have three private insurance policies, it’s stupid.

I bought a small Peugeot van and insured that, my own insurance then onto a small Opel corsa so my eldest could learn to drive.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Had the same situation a year ago. Ended up putting the car in my daughters name as she was the main user. Insurance was very expensive, but it was the only way given neither myself nor wife could be considered the main driver

That also means that an NCB starts picking up and this years insurance has dropped by over 50% despite her being involved in an accident a week after she passed her test (it was the other drivers fault but I suspect her inexperience conttibuted)

• Advertisement

...because I don't want them using my car or my wife's car in general, they are not great to learn to drive (both auto, both large)

Beasty wrote: »
    Had the same situation a year ago. Ended up putting the car in my daughters name as she was the main user. Insurance was very expensive, but it was the only way given neither myself nor wife could be considered the main driver

That also means that an NCB starts picking up and this years insurance has dropped by over 50% despite her being involved in an accident a week after she passed her test (it was the other drivers fault but I suspect her inexperience conttibuted)

Thanks - that's very helpful. Roughly how much was "very expensive" in year 1. What kind of car was it?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks - that's very helpful. Roughly how much was "very expensive" in year 1. What kind of car was it?

Hyundai I10 - 2012 that I had originally bought for my father but passed it onto the daughter after he died

The insurance was north of the car value (which was €5.5k when I brought it over from the UK)!!

Just to add she's been asking to upgrade - not as long as I'm paying the insurance she won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

_Brian wrote: »
    Two adults can’t have three private insurance policies, it’s stupid.

It really isn't.

If I had the cash, I want to be able to afford and insure anything from a series 1 E-type Jag, a nice e30 m3, a fully loaded SUV for the missus, two small cars for the kids and a fully spec'd E class for daddy. Toss in a boat insurance for my 60 footer, may I.

Why on earth people think it's ok to get ripped off left and right regarding motor insurance is beyond me. Insure the car, not the driver. To be precise, insure the car based on previous claims of the owner yes, but let me be really the benefactor of that no claim bonus. I earned it and am forced to use it on a single car. Only one car. The one I can afford. Which is probably nothing more than a 20+ years old banger. Which nobody insures anyway.

I keep dreaming..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement