Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Choices / smokey startup

Options
  • 04-02-2020 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭

Quick one for everyone.

I understand that high end sports bikes burn a bit of oil and that it's normal.

I've noticed though that my bike goes through about 1/2L of Oil every 1,000km's

The bike is fairly new. I'd had to top up oil before, but never by this much.

I remember though that this was an issue MOTOREX motor oil in my old KTM.
    Very smokey on startup and needed to be topped up more than if I used something like Yamalube.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?
    Currently there is AGIP 10W50 (As recommended by the manual in it)

Bike is an RSV4 1100

Also before you ask about smoke, the coolant level isn't going down ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Seems like a lot alright - is there a lot of smoke on over-run or do you notice it when riding the bike? I wouldn't expect a modern bike to burn much oil between services - is there much mileage on your bike? 0.5L/1000km is what a two-stroke bike would use!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Seems like a lot alright - is there a lot of smoke on over-run or do you notice it when riding the bike? I wouldn't expect a modern bike to burn much oil between services - is there much mileage on your bike? 0.5L/1000km is what a two-stroke bike would use!!

About 7,000km's (it's 6 months old)
    I think there is an oil consumption chart/spec in the manual, I'll give that a check when I get home.

Googling, reveals that V2 and V4 sports bikes are renowned for going through oil for a shortcut.

2010 CBR1000R was up to 1L of Oil for ever 1000 miles! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Most sportsbike engines are designed for performance which means low drag, this is accomplished by thin low tension piston rings which don't push on the bore as much.
    Low tension rings means oil can get past them and be burnt.
    Its just a fact of life with these engines.
    That said try using a different brand oil, there might be a better choice for your engine.
    Forums might be a start but ultimately it will be down to experimentation as well.
    New bikes will commonly use oil as but as the engine beds in more it might start to use less.
    All engines are different and I have noticed that some oils are definitely better in my bikes than others.
    Motul,Silkolene,Castrol and others are all options and may be better than the Motorex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

On rotax 1k aprilias smoke on start up can sometimes be the slipper clutch diaphragm or oil in the air box seeping past the baseplate seal of the throttle bodies. Not sure if that's a thing on your bike but worth a search. Other than that valve stem oil seals or rings.
    Your yokes are known to weep oil from the rear cam cover to header which shows no drips but does see oil consumption.

Change to 15 50 semi and see how ya get along.

When I bought my blackbird she was tight and used oil as she only had 1600 miles or so up. I ran mineral 10 40 and spun her up and down revs without load for 600 mile and switched back to semi synth. She's bedded the rings in and does not drink anymore, makes great power on jogs dyno too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Check the spec... Up to 1L of Oil per 1,000km's is acceptable :eek:

I double check my mileage and top up time.
    I'm burning about 350ml per 1,000km's (roughly) :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Claud 14.7 to 1

Wow, burns more oil than petrol, lol (obviously not). At least it's not considered a problem. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Check the spec... Up to 1L of Oil per 1,000km's is acceptable :eek:

I double check my mileage and top up time.
    I'm burning about 350ml per 1,000km's (roughly) :o

and they say two-strokes are a thing of the past, eh ?? 😉

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement