Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any PC components assembly services?

Options
  • 04-02-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello everyone! So I'm thinking of buying individual pc components on Amazon soon, but I'm anxious about putting it together and am unwilling to do. Would any of ye know anyplace around the munster area (preferably kerry) who I could give the components to to put it together for me? Also how much could it cost roughly?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

There really isn't anything to it once you do your research and take your time building. Give it a go would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 minnie11

There really isn't anything to it once you do your research and take your time building. Give it a go would be my advice.

I'm not too confident with that honestly. I know it's easy but I'd be more comfortable getting someone to put it together for me. Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You'll probably find someone in this forum to do it for you. I wouldn't pay more than €50 personally. But then I second putting it together yourself, loads of guides online. Worst thing is connecting the front panel (power button and alike) the rest is like Ikea furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

You could do it yourself no bother, half of YouTube has these kinds of videos which will take the stress out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Loads of people on here will do it. There's a thread for it actually. It was started a while ago, but has recent posts:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056197599&page=10

But the others are right too: It's really not as hard as you'd think. Almost everything these days can only go in one way, so it's extremely hard to permanently break anything (other than maybe CPU). Worst case most of the time it that it just won't turn on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

You can certainly find somebody who will build it for you, but like the others - I would WARMLY encourage you to build yourself; You've already gone one step towards it by deciding to get components rather than a laptop or a pre-built, why not go all the way?

This day, you have the enormous advantage that there are tonnes of guides available around - for example, this one by Anthony from Linus Tech Tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkiIW0Twj3U

Most of us...ehrm..."young at heart" did our first builds back in the '90s, when there was feck all information available - it was literally a matter of opening up a computer and "reverse engineer" the process.

Conversely, you've got tutorials, videos and forums to ask for advice...you should really try; On top of gaining a new skill, you also get into that "I'll never need a PC repair service ever again" situation (well, unless it's a warranty thing).

Just get a CPU that comes with a cooler and you won't even need to bother with the thermal paste application - the only part in PC building that still is "fuzzy logic".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Above video is very good and there are a few good ones on Linus Tech Tips or similar.

Things that are tricky are just the front panel cables putting them on the right pins.

Also making sure you are working in a static free environment, and either use an anti static strap or ground yourself frequently when handling motherboard and RAM.

Advertisement