Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPV6 on Netgear Nighthawk Router on Virgin media in Modem mode

• 04-02-2020 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

We have a busy modern wired house with 8 Ethernet connections and about 25 wireless connections running off Virgin Media 360 connection and it was running very well up to a Christmas using an Apple Airport Extreme Router and an Apple Time Machine connected over Ethernet. I liked this as it was relatively easy for me to set up and run as i am very non technical.
    Anyway items started to disconnect and stop running and Virgin said their service was fine so it must be my connection internal network and so my problem!
    Being Christmas couldn't get anyone to look at it so bought a Netgear Nighthawk router which said it was good for 50 connections.
    We have Google Nest Smoke alarms which i was not able to connect even though they were working on Apple system so called their help and they need IPV6 to work but Netgear needs a manual IPV6 DNS address to be be entered manually so I called Virgin H~elp and as usual not very helpful and said they had to turn on IPV6 addressing at their end.
    AS i don't know or understand implications of this willl other computers, pads TVs and network drives still work and how did they work before automatically with the Apple router.
    Sorry this so long but I have spent a month trying to figure out with the help of Google but i give up. Please help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So many questions.

What new devices were brought into the house at Christmas?
    How big is the house?
    What happened exactly with the devices, did some show no internet and others did?
    Was it happening to devices everywhere in the house, no common factor?
    Did restarting the device, or the airport/360 modem fix it?
    What version of the Airport, there are 6 generations, going back to 2003.
    Was the Virgin 360 device in "modem" mode?
    How exactly was everything wired up, x to y and so on.

Nest don't need IPV6, they just need 2.4ghz wireless. Most modern devices can use 2.4 or 5. If they don't work, but most other things do, then the netgear probably has 2.4ghz wireless disabled or its no functional. Which seems to be a common problem with some of them after firmware upgrades. They seem to need a factory reset and to be reconfigured for it to start working.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/No-more-2-4-Wifi-on-R7000-Nighthawk-after-V1-0-9-14-1-2-25/m-p/1459630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

EyeCake wrote: »
    We have a busy modern wired house with 8 Ethernet connections and about 25 wireless connections running off Virgin Media 360 connection and it was running very well up to a Christmas using an Apple Airport Extreme Router and an Apple Time Machine connected over Ethernet. I liked this as it was relatively easy for me to set up and run as i am very non technical.
    Anyway items started to disconnect and stop running and Virgin said their service was fine so it must be my connection internal network and so my problem!
    Being Christmas couldn't get anyone to look at it so bought a Netgear Nighthawk router which said it was good for 50 connections.
    We have Google Nest Smoke alarms which i was not able to connect even though they were working on Apple system so called their help and they need IPV6 to work but Netgear needs a manual IPV6 DNS address to be be entered manually so I called Virgin H~elp and as usual not very helpful and said they had to turn on IPV6 addressing at their end.
    AS i don't know or understand implications of this willl other computers, pads TVs and network drives still work and how did they work before automatically with the Apple router.
    Sorry this so long but I have spent a month trying to figure out with the help of Google but i give up. Please help

I've had issues myself with the Netgear Nighthawk in the 1st few days after install, also moving from an Airport Extreme. Do you have smart connect enabled on the router? Turning it off & having separate 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz channels solved all of my connection issues. When smart connect was enabled, some devices would not connect & others were dropping connection intermittently

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mitchmo007

Eyecake - Did you ever get an answer to this?

I am in the same situation with Virgin Hub in Modem mode and I installed a new Netgear R260 router. I now can not connect any of my 3 Nest fire alarms to the 2.4 wifi network. The error I get is p006(3.10). I have been searching for an answer with no success.

Instructions do say the following about IPv6

Enable IPv6 Your Protect requires IPv6 in order to be added to the Nest app. Check your router's documentation to confirm that your router supports this setting and for information on how you can enable it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mitchmo007

OK I managed to resolve my query by doing the following:

Disable IPv6 on my Netgear R260 router.

Configure a guest network on the router and tick the option to allow the devices connected to this network. Once this was done I was able to connect the devices as per Nest instructions.

Advertisement