Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an Ex-Pyrite House

Options
  • 04-02-2020 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Hello Boardsies,

Hoping to get some opinions......

We viewed a house on Sat, which we immediately loved. Its perfect for us in many ways and has given us a bit of mental bump re; the current housing market as we've been looking for a number of months. We were planning on bidding on it tomorrow.

But, there is always a catch! The EA has informed us that the house previously had pyrite, however, it has now been certified as pyrite free after "extensive remedial" works.

We would obviously be getting an engineer in to ensure the green cert is the real deal, but.... interested in others thoughts.

Would you walk? Would you think it would impact future resale value etc?

We have zero experience in dealing with pyrite properties, so any input would be most helpful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Once the remedial works have been done and there is a cert I'd say fire away. Some might be put off by it but just factor that into your bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Thank you, yes there's already two very low bids on the property, so I am guessing people are taking it into account.

I am a bit uneasy about it, but should be be successful in going sale agreed I am hopeful an engineer will give us the right guidance on whether it's an issue or not!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The remedial works are defacto rebuilding the property- they aren't minor tinkering by any means.
    If it has a proper certificate from the remedial works- rest assured, its probably exceptionally well built and you're unlikely to encounter any issues. Get a copy of the cert- and make sure you're satisfied with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yep
    Was involved in remedials in an estate in Meath

No engineer is going to sign off on the fix unless they are 100% happy. Very risky to do otherwise.

I'd be happy to purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's probably better now than most of the homes built around the same time that didn't have a pyrite issue. They were thrown up with very little quality control while this has been rebuilt with micro management of the repair.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's probably better now than most of the homes built around the same time that didn't have a pyrite issue. They were thrown up with very little quality control while this has been rebuilt with micro management of the repair.

OP the main issue with pyrite is expansion of the fill.
    Fill was probably used in the subfloor.
    Generally in this country there will be no fill under the foundations.

So remedials will be to remove the floor and subfloor, (remove the paths and fill under them). Reinstate all.

Any internal non-load bearing walls should also come out and be reinstalled with new floor under.

So nothing like external walls or damp proofing or fireproofing will be improved during the remedials.

Just an aside
    OP if it's a semi-d or terraced i'd stay clear if adjoining premises were not rectified

Apologies, obviously a new DPM/radon would mean tying onto existing DPC again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Apologies, obviously a new DPM/radon would mean tying onto existing DPC again

Thanks - it's a detached proeprty. We've been told a circumference around the property has also been treated , would this be standard ? Again, I'm sure if we go sale agreed all details will be fully available.

Can I ask what is DPM/DPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Hello Boardsies,

Hoping to get some opinions......

We viewed a house on Sat, which we immediately loved. Its perfect for us in many ways and has given us a bit of mental bump re; the current housing market as we've been looking for a number of months. We were planning on bidding on it tomorrow.

But, there is always a catch! The EA has informed us that the house previously had pyrite, however, it has now been certified as pyrite free after "extensive remedial" works.

We would obviously be getting an engineer in to ensure the green cert is the real deal, but.... interested in others thoughts.

Would you walk? Would you think it would impact future resale value etc?

We have zero experience in dealing with pyrite properties, so any input would be most helpful!

Make sure your mortgage provider accepts that it is rectified as well.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Thanks - it's a detached proeprty. We've been told a circumference around the property has also been treated , would this be standard ? Again, I'm sure if we go sale agreed all details will be fully available.

Can I ask what is DPM/DPC?

Damp proof membrane/ course

• Advertisement
Advertisement