Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennant can’t pay rent!

Options
  • 04-02-2020 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I’m renting out my house last 11 months to a couple, all was good no issue but they separated and now the Tennant can’t pay rent. They deposited half of the rent last mtg and still haven’t paid the balance not we are into a new month and the rent day is fast approaching. I’m relying on the rent to cover my mortgage so I’ve stressed What’s my options?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Start with a 14 day warning notice immediately:

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/during-a-tenancy/rent-arrears/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

redcard wrote: »
    They deposited half of the rent last mtg and still haven’t paid the balance not we are into a new month and the rent day is fast approaching.
    Follow the eviction process. If they want to leave early without notice, let them; it's a lot easier in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Start the eviction process and follow it to the letter.

Any deviation from the process will cost you so make sure you follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Hi there,
    I’m renting out my house last 11 months to a couple, all was good no issue but they separated and now the Tennant can’t pay rent. They deposited half of the rent last mtg and still haven’t paid the balance not we are into a new month and the rent day is fast approaching. I’m relying on the rent to cover my mortgage so I’ve stressed What’s my options?

If it's a house there are probably spare rooms...

Might be easier to offer to find an additional tenant or get the tenant to find one than going through eviction processes, but issue the warning letter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Arklow10

Immediately issue warning letter
    RTB for correct procedure to follow, and adhere to it exactly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hi there,

There are two tenants, not one. Its important to mention that because while the one remaining in the property may well be unable to cover the whole cost of the rent, both are still liable to pay it.

Thus, when you say the tenant cant pay what you should be saying is that the tenants can pay, one cant pay the full amount and the other is refusing to pay what they owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redcard

When they separated I edited the lease at the remaining tenants request. I’ve sent the 14 notice for nonpayment of rent. The Tennant has contacted me and said she’s trying her best to get sw rent assistance sorted. I will just follow the protocol from rtb and if she catches up on the rent in the mean time then that’s fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Graham wrote: »
    Start with a 14 day warning notice immediately:

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/during-a-tenancy/rent-arrears/

the_syco wrote: »
    Follow the eviction process. If they want to leave early without notice, let them; it's a lot easier in the long run.
    Start the eviction process and follow it to the letter.

Any deviation from the process will cost you so make sure you follow it.
    Burn out their car and throw things at their kids - Bare your teeth and assert dominance
    When they separated I edited the lease at the remaining tenants request. I’ve sent the 14 notice for nonpayment of rent. The Tennant has contacted me and said she’s trying her best to get sw rent assistance sorted. I will just follow the protocol from rtb and if she catches up on the rent in the mean time then that’s fair enough

Some remarkable advice here - Strike quickly using the element of surprise and shock to guarantee victory over your unfortunate tenants OP!

I fully understand that the OP has based his financial planning around having his poor tenants pay for his investments on his behalf and that changes and upheavals in their lives might cause him huge worry and distress.

But wouldn't it be nice if someone involved stopped and employed a bit of humanity, understanding, and decency?

There should be some sort of "basics of morality" test given to prospective Landlords - And those who see fit to advise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Some remarkable advice here - Strike quickly using the element of surprise and shock to guarantee victory over your unfortunate tenants OP!

I fully understand that the OP has based his financial planning around having his poor tenants pay for his investments on his behalf and that changes and upheavals in their lives might cause him huge worry and distress.

But wouldn't it be nice if someone involved stopped and employed a bit of humanity, understanding, and decency?

There should be some sort of "basics of morality" test given to prospective Landlords - And those who see fit to advise them.

The OP isn't a housing charity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Does it not go both ways? Should the tenants not show some humanity, understanding, and decency in paying the rent they agreed to pay regardless of their circumstances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

That's an unbelievable statement. Maybe you should show some humanity and decency and ask the tenant to come and live in your house for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Will the banks do that of the OPs late mortgage repayments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

godtabh wrote: »
    Does it not go both ways? Should the tenants not show some humanity, understanding, and decency in paying the rent they agreed to pay regardless of their circumstances?

Absolutely - I'm just in shock that certain people on here are advised the OP to pitch this woman out in the snow after her husband/partner left her.

There may be children involved, children who attend a school local to the OPs investment vehicle no doubt.

OP has stated that his tenant is trying to get the Social Welfare side of things sorted out.

This is in the middle of a housing crisis.

Yet the advice is to blitzkrieg this woman while shes already on the ground.

- Why is the assumption here that this woman is a conniving parasite? She may be much more sincere and decent than the ruthless advisors on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Exactly hence the Sinn Fein win, the wealthy parasites will be on the run soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Absoulutely - I'm just in shock that certain people on here are advised the OP to pitch this woman out in the snow after her husband/partner left her.

There may be children involved, children who attend a school local to the OPs investment vehicle no doubt.

OP has stated that his tenant is trying to get the Social Welfare side of things sorted out.

This is in the middle of a housing crisis.

Yet the advice is to blitzkrieg this woman while shes already on the ground.

- Why is the assumption here that this woman is a conniving parasite? She may be much more sincere and decent than the ruthless advisors on here.

So how about you offer to pay the OP's mortgage till the tenant gets sorted?

How about the errant boyfriend pays his share till she gets sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Exactly hence the Sinn Fein win, the wealthy parasites will be on the run soon enough.

It’s easy to be the hurler on the ditch criticising the efforts of others, a very different matter when you have to do it yourself. It will be interesting to see how SF are going to build all those houses, replace all those landlords etc, and deal with the criticism themselves when they can’t do what the promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And there’ll be no houses to rent. Which won’t matter because there’ll be no jobs to earn the money to pay the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Look I wasn't expecting a balanced, fair discussion here - I'm well aware that this forum is populated exclusively by shallow Landlords baby-talking each other through the not-too complex basics of their enterprising schemes in the world of renting out property and weeping bitterly into each others shoulders re how oh so very terrible life is for them due to miscellaneous legislation changes & rent caps etc.

I'm not interested in discussing this with you at the above level - Enjoy your insular, myopic, petty outlook :D

OP Best of luck with it all - I hope it gets resolved in the short term and its not too stressful for all parties involved.

The RTA is very clear on this subject, if you do not pay your rent, you can, and will be evicted as you have breached a contract and are availing of a service without paying for it.

It is all very well pontificating about the fairness of a non paying tenant being evicted, but the reality is that if the tenant cannot or will not pay, then the owner is being penalised even though a service is being provided.

It would hypocritical of you to think you would do otherwise in the op’s place, you would not feel it is your responsibility to provide accommodation for the tenant in your house if they were not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

How about you so, Mr Humanity?

Why don't you pay the rent for her - you seem quite happy to throw a strangers money around like it's confetti at a wedding, so i'm sure you're the same with your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hi there,

Start the eviction process. No matter the stories you are told it's not your issue their personal life and they are making it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

More BS. The tenant hasn't paid. This will not end well for the LL. Been there done that. All the good will and sympathy in the world will ot help the tenant pay for something they can no longer afford. I have never seen once the anti landlord brigade say hold on.. land lord we will pay for this tenant. No it's always the rich landlord the millionaire landlord who should pay for someone else. But unfortunately as in this case alot of landlords are just getting by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hey there mate, i'm stuck for a couple of grand. can you send it my way? I'll give you nothing in return.

Are there humanity tests for other businesses? Or is it just landlords we are focusing on? If so, why?

It seems that you "fully understand" nothing in this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Was in this exact situation a few years back.

As has been suggested, start the eviction process ASAP, I stupidly tried to be accommodating and allowed a payment plan to clear the arrears which never worked - cost me 3k in the end as was ****ed over and still have a determination order from the RTB that means f all.

While not nice for the tenant it's not your problem and at the end of the day it's a business. Anyone who pleads the compassion is required card has never been in this situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Keep it civil please folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Somebody get this guy some vinegar for that massive chip on his shoulder...

People are advising the OP to immediately start the eviction process not because they want to see anybody turfed out on the street, but because not following those procedures properly can end in disaster for unaware landlords. Doing anything else would be negligent quite frankly, and hand wringing about humanity won't change that one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

what wealthy parasites ? the ones who have worked hard and saved up an bought a rental property ? im a landlord with a few places .. i wasnt given them . i worked my hole off and bought them ..carried them all thru the recession ..last year was the first year in 14 years they paid for themselves on an annual basis
    im still down 33% on what i bought them for
    i pay tax of over 50% of the rents annually .. am i a parasite ?..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

what wealthy parasites ? the ones who have worked hard and saved up an bought a rental property ? im a landlord with a few places .. i wasnt given them . i worked my hole off and bought them ..carried them all thru the recession ..last year was the first year in 14 years they paid for themselves on an annual basis
    im still down 33% on what i bought them for
    i pay tax of over 50% of the rents annually .. am i a parasite ?..

Yes. Because rabble rabble bumble something. Grrr.

Also, fair play. Long term you won’t lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

This is the most bizarre non-advice I've read on this sub.
    I'm no fan of Landlords (in principle) but to say the OP should employ some humanity is risible. The OP has an obligation to their bank to pay on time. Their tenant in turn, has an obligation of same to OP.
    Some landlords go through the ringer with tenants that are just taking the mick - the advice here to get the ball rolling on eviction in case things deterirate is spot on IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hate to break it to you but it can take months to get rent assistance (usually hap) set up and you'll have to jump through hoops to get approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

Caranica wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but it can take months to get rent assistance (usually hap) set up and you'll have to jump through hoops to get approval.

3 month delay on HAP .. i had a tenant move in , in october and i only got my first payment last month . had to cover the mortgage untill then ..no point asking the tenant as she didnt have it .. was a bit of a pain .. the hap used to just take a week

Advertisement