Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennant can’t pay rent!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Politelymad

what wealthy parasites ? the ones who have worked hard and saved up an bought a rental property ? im a landlord with a few places .. i wasnt given them . i worked my hole off and bought them ..carried them all thru the recession ..last year was the first year in 14 years they paid for themselves on an annual basis
    im still down 33% on what i bought them for
    i pay tax of over 50% of the rents annually .. am i a parasite ?..

I wouldn't get too worked up about the opinions of people who are only brave when it doesn't cost them anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Ah come here, go away and get a violin for them will ye.
    Talk about separation and the kids and the whole ins and outs of the tenants personal life and relationship difficulties is neither here not there. It has no bearing on the contract and is completely and 100% irrelevant.

OP, take no excuses or sobs stories. If you yield at that and they are going to take you as a soft touch and will run rings around you with excuse and sob stories.

Issue the notice of arrears.
    Then the notice of termination.

Follow everything to the letter of the RTA law and RTB guidelines. Be aware that any deviation, nomatter how slight, will invalidate the whole process.

Once the 14 notice goes out all further contact should be by registered post.

if she gets sorted with her SW, and clears the arrears then fair enough. How she does it is of no relevance. So don't be getting involved in discussions about SW or this or that. It's all an attempt to bamboozle you and pull the wool over your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Would your landlords insurance cover IED damage?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

<snip>

Was he elected yesterday by any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

emeldc wrote: »
    Was he elected yesterday by any chance.

hahahaaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Some remarkable advice here - Strike quickly using the element of surprise and shock to guarantee victory over your unfortunate tenants OP!

I fully understand that the OP has based his financial planning around having his poor tenants pay for his investments on his behalf and that changes and upheavals in their lives might cause him huge worry and distress.

But wouldn't it be nice if someone involved stopped and employed a bit of humanity, understanding, and decency?

There should be some sort of "basics of morality" test given to prospective Landlords - And those who see fit to advise them.

it would have been decent of the tenant to notify the landlord of the issue in advance and work out a short term payment plan, perhaps. Landlord is not running a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

3 month delay on HAP .. i had a tenant move in , in october and i only got my first payment last month . had to cover the mortgage untill then ..no point asking the tenant as she didnt have it .. was a bit of a pain .. the hap used to just take a week

HAP I dont think will pay for a house when a one bed apt would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

HAP I dont think will pay for a house when a one bed apt would suffice.

They will i have a same sex couple both on HAP living in a 3 bed house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Some remarkable advice here - Strike quickly using the element of surprise and shock to guarantee victory over your unfortunate tenants OP!

I fully understand that the OP has based his financial planning around having his poor tenants pay for his investments on his behalf and that changes and upheavals in their lives might cause him huge worry and distress.

But wouldn't it be nice if someone involved stopped and employed a bit of humanity, understanding, and decency?

There should be some sort of "basics of morality" test given to prospective Landlords - And those who see fit to advise them.

I love this line. It's effectively saying that it's unreasonable for anyone to be expected to pay for anything. "Pay for his investments on his behalf" makes it sound like an investor should be paying the return on their investment out of the same investor's own pocket.

"I fully understand that the shopkeeper has based his financial planning around having his poor customers pay for the products they take."

"I fully understand that the builder has based his financial planning around having his poor customers pay for the buildings he constructs for them."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I love this line. It's effectively saying that it's unreasonable for anyone to be expected to pay for anything. "Pay for his investments on his behalf" makes it sound like an investor should be paying the return on their investment out of the same investor's own pocket.

"I fully understand that the shopkeeper has based his financial planning around having his poor customers pay for the products they take."

"I fully understand that the builder has based his financial planning around having his poor customers pay for the buildings he constructs for them."

Yep it's the usual anti landlord nonsense.

It's an assumption everyone wants to buy and landlords are preventing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Well the tenant has to pay their rent, or chase their ex-partner for their half of the rent - that's the contractual and morally correct thing to do. There's no argument there.

However, yes being is a landlord is a business, needs to be run as a business, and thus they should likely budget for the unexpected such as boiler servicing, washing machine replacement, and missed rental payments, like any other business would have a cash reserve for emergencies.

The original poster said that their tenant stopped paying rent but that they needed the rental payment to make their mortgage payment. That's poor planning. Landlord's with no cash reserve, whose business plan is for their renters monthly payment to cover the full 100% of their monthly mortgage payment is too naive a plan and a massive financial risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I love this line.

Its the hypocrisy of it that gets me, though hypocrisy may not be the right word.

The landlord gets chided for treating his tenants as little more than investments or mortgage payments. Ok, fair enough, its more than just a business contract then.

But why is it only one way? Why aren't the tenants chided for the personal stress they are causing the landlord?

Advertisement