Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck piston rings

Options
  • 04-02-2020 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭

Bike was standing for 8 years. Engine turns fairly freely...turns by itself when past tdc. 100psi on dry compression test, 160 on wet. Specs are 140 to 190.
    Do ye reckon rings are stuck in ring grooves?
    Anybody get these unstuck through lubrication?
    I'm going to put a half cup of oil down cylinders and hand crank for a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-IN-1-Waterproof-USB-Inspection-Camera-Boroscope-Snake-Scope-Endoscope-6-LED-UK/114033029163?hash=item1a8ce5f02b:m:m-VeZmSE6Sj9L36Igm5BGNA
    Pull a plug and have a look see.
    I'm guessing it's a rust mark from standing as you say. That is assuming it hasn't coated bores of some sort, if she does its rip her time.
    I'd probably do as you are suggesting as you've nothing to lose but I'm not terribly experienced here. The smart move is probably pull the barrel and hope a hone solves the issue.
    If she does free up after hand cranking on and off for a week keep a real close eye for smoke and oil consumption afterwards.

Love to see the pic of the bores at bdc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

No big difference so far, got most of the oil out and am going to add half cup of diesel. Also going to do valve clearance as if I get her up a few psi enough to start the temp rise is supposed to free the rings over time.
    If those don't work tis time to go digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jeremyr62

If you actually plan on using the bike then I would recommend riding it for a while. If its a multi then you might find it OK. I have seen engines with low compression run fine when used.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

lalababa wrote: »
    No big difference so far, got most of the oil out and am going to add half cup of diesel....
    If those don't work tis time to go digging.
    used a bit of kerosene before and it did a trick on various engines

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

lalababa wrote: »
    No big difference so far, got most of the oil out and am going to add half cup of diesel.

to the engine oil? Why?
    Diesel has no lubricity so I'd wonder about its effects on bearings...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

hello i once used a light oil on a 3 cylinder bike and a heat gun with the plugs out wait until the oil starts to boil and try moving the engine with a spanner front wise and backwards nice easy until the engine turns over it worked or me

Advertisement