Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Best Song of the 60s

Comments

Match 5: Feelin Good - Nina Simone
    Match 6: Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane
    Match 7: Suspicious Minds - Elvis
    Match 8: Respect - Aretha Franklin

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 7: House of the Rising Sun - The Animals

#5 Nina Simone
    #6 Jefferson Airplane
    #7 Elvis (one of the only songs of his I like!)
    #8 Aretha Franklin

Match 6: hard to decide. Will come back to this one....

4-4 suspicious minds vs house of the rising sun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

4-4 suspicious minds vs house of the rising sun?

giphy.gif

Come on now, House of the Rising Sun should have easily won this one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Match 1: River Deep Mountain High - Ike and Tina Turner
    Match 2: California Dreamin - Mamas and Papas
    Match 3: Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
    Match 4: Last Train to Clarksville - The Monkees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Match 5: Feelin Good - Nina Simone v All Day and All of the Night - The Kinks

Match 6: Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane v She's not There - The Zombies

Match 7: Suspicious Minds - Elvis v House of the Rising Sun - The Animals

Match 8: Respect - Aretha Franklin v Turn, Turn, Turn - The Byrds

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Oooooh that’s a big loss. Had house of the rising sun down as a finalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Absolute bullsh*t result there between The Animals and Elvis...

giphy.gif

Match 6: the zombies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Absolute bullsh*t result there between The Animals and Elvis...

We should team up to remove Elvis from the competition now most of the Beatles have been culled

My new prediction is we’re gonna see a lot of this from now on

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29cbdfa46b61a87327d817c77585ad5e26ca5c0a5b&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Necro wrote: »
    We should team up to remove Elvis from the competition now most of the Beatles have been culled

No Necro, I've got nothing against Elvis in general - just thought House of the Rising Sun was final material, whereas Suspicious Minds probably isn't... I'll not join your weird crusade against the Beatles and Elvis, ya hear! :D

giphy.gif

Omackeral wrote:

It's too late Omack :(

The backstards killed it for that croony piece of opposing crap

Waiting for Mack to catch up and react now :D

No Necro, I've got nothing against Elvis in general - just thought House of the Rising Sun was final material, whereas Suspicious Minds probably isn't... I'll not join your weird crusade against the Beatles and Elvis, ya hear!

The Beatles are Yesterday's news

Thankfully everyone Came Together to unite in removing most of their stuff from the contest.

;)

Meh, I don't even like Elvis in general (oversang the crap out of most things) but Suspicious Minds is a top-quality tune. House of the Rising Sun is grand but I just went with the one I'm more likely to listen to if I'm at home and fancy some sixties music. *shrug*

7 of my 10 nominations got wiped out before the top 32 so I won't be made feel guilty about any of my choices! :p

• Advertisement

The Beatles are Yesterday's news

Thankfully everyone Came Together to unite in removing most of their stuff from the contest.

;)

giphy.gif

It's too late Omack :(

The backstards killed it for that croony piece of opposing crap

I'll join your crusdade to kill Suspicious Minds.
    Waiting for Mack to catch up and react now :D

tenor.gif

Meh, I don't even like Elvis in general (oversang the crap out of most things) but Suspicious Minds is a top-quality tune. House of the Rising Sun is grand but I just went with the one I'm more likely to listen to if I'm at home and fancy some sixties music. *shrug*

7 of my 10 nominations got wiped out before the top 32 so I won't be made feel guilty about any of my choices! :p

giphy.gif

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Waterloo Sunset should go far. It’s as good a song as any of the Beatles.

My new prediction is we’re gonna see a lot of this from now on

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29cbdfa46b61a87327d817c77585ad5e26ca5c0a5b&rid=giphy.gif

Pfft, that's been me in every round of every "Best of..." decade comp (and the one-hit wonder one). This is serious business, after all!

Personally I think I should have just been allowed choose the Top 32 for each competition and then let you lot fight among yourselves, safe in the knowledge that something I approve of will win. :cool:

Personally I think I should have just been allowed choose the Top 32 for each competition and then let you lot fight among yourselves, safe in the knowledge that something I approve of will win.

Maybe I'll do that for the best song ever..

Probably gonna be voting off of my phone for awhile and won't be able to gif my reactions, so I'll just leave this here as my reaction to all future poor decisions the rest of you make... ;)

giphy.gif

Maybe I'll do that for the best song ever..

Necro, would you run a comp based off my idea (which I haven’t disclosed yet)?

Necro, would you run a comp based off my idea (which I haven’t disclosed yet)?

I might be coerce... I mean convinced into doing so :P

PM me if ya want to keep it under wraps

• Advertisement

I think we should have a
    Who had the best number one on their birthday competition. They have to included what was No1 on their actual birth date plus other songs from whatever year they choose.

I use a website frequently that gives the no1s from loads of different countries which could open the game right up.

Even if you hate the song you’re dealt, you have to try and win and receive the MOBO. (Music of birthdate origin).

So we'll all be revealing our ages and dob's then? I've looked mine before, American and Australian charts were acceptable but the Irish and British ones were rubbish!

I think we should have a Who had the best number one on their birthday competition. They have to included what was No1 on their actual birth date plus other songs from whatever year they choose.

Ooh interesting.

Would be a very entrant dependant competition but I'll consider it... after best ever song ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Match 1: You Really Got Me - The Kinks v River Deep Mountain High - Ike and Tina Turner
    Match 2: Blowin in the Wind - Bob Dylan v California Dreamin - Mamas and Papas
    Match 3: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones v Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
    Match 4: Last Train to Clarksville - The Monkees v Whiter Shade of Pale - Procul Harum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I have no idea whats still outstanding (although I heard a nasty rumour about the Animals), so gonna throw my vote in below

Match 1: You Really Got Me - The Kinks v River Deep Mountain High - Ike and Tina Turner
    Match 2: Blowin in the Wind - Bob Dylan v California Dreamin - Mamas and Papas
    Match 3: Paint it Black - Rolling Stones v Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
    Match 4: Last Train to Clarksville - The Monkees v Whiter Shade of Pale - Procul Harum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Simone
    Zombies
    Elvis
    Aretha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Good afternoon everyone.

I think everything is resolved already. For what it's worth my votes would have been:
    Match 1: Ike and Tina Turner
    Match 2: The Mamas and The Papas
    Match 3: The Rolling Stones
    Match 4: Procul Harum
    Match 5: Nina Simone
    Match 6: Jefferson Airplane
    Match 7: Elvis (unpopular opinion based on the discussion above, but I never liked The House Of The Rising Sun. . .)
    Match 8: Aretha Franklin

And I will admit I'm impressed that The Beatles got almost wiped out from this competition. I was half expecting a Beatles vs The Rolling Stones battle. Good for competition I think, same is in the 90's with the Oasis/Blur songs not going very far (iirc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Edit: just seen Elvis beat The Animals, what a travesty. Girls Aloud beating MGMT levels of bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

ShaneU wrote: »
    just seen Elvis beat The Animals, what a travesty. Girls Aloud beating MGMT levels of bad.

Ah come on now - there's no comparison with the latter! Anyone who voted for Girls Aloud over MGMT should be banned for ever voting in anything ever again!!

Actually, they should be banned from ever having an opinion ever again.

And banned for life from Boards.

And the entire Planet.

Look, let's just track them down and shoot them into space on a one way ticket, yeah?

BandMember wrote: »
    Ah come on now - there's no comparison with the latter! Anyone who voted for Girls Aloud over MGMT should be banned for ever voting in anything ever again!

If you were talking about TMNT you might have a point but otherwise nah.

Also:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Match 9: Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival v People are Strange - The Doors

v

Match 10: All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix v Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

v

Match 11: Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles v Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks

v

Match 12: Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones v Good Vibrations - Beach Boys

v

Match 9: Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival v People are Strange - The Doors

Match 10: All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix v Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

Match 12: Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones v Good Vibrations - Beach Boys

Match 9: People are Strange - The Doors

Match 10: Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

Match 11: Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks

Match 12: Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones

Pfft, that's been me in every round of every "Best of..." decade comp (and the one-hit wonder one). This is serious business, after all!

Personally I think I should have just been allowed choose the Top 32 for each competition and then let you lot fight among yourselves, safe in the knowledge that something I approve of will win. :cool:

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Match 9:
    Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Match 10:
    All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

Match 11:
    Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks

Match 12:
    Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones

I think we should have a
    Who had the best number one on their birthday competition. They have to included what was No1 on their actual birth date plus other songs from whatever year they choose.

I use a website frequently that gives the no1s from loads of different countries which could open the game right up.

Even if you hate the song you’re dealt, you have to try and win and receive the MOBO. (Music of birthdate origin).

I'm not going to win that one when the act that was No. 1 was slated on the 70s thread and didn't make the long list.....

Match 9: People are Strange - The Doors

Match 10: All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

Match 12: Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones

Match 9: Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Match 10: Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

Match 12: Good Vibrations - Beach Boys

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Hendrix

Kinks

Good Vibrations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

CCR

Hendrix
    Beatles
    Beach boys

Match 5: Feelin Good - Nina Simone 6 v 0 All Day and All of the Night - The Kinks
    Match 6: Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane 6 v 0 She's not There - The Zombies
    Match 7: Suspicious Minds - Elvis 6 v 5 House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
    Match 8: Respect - Aretha Franklin 6 v 1 Turn, Turn, Turn - The Byrds

• Advertisement
Advertisement