Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Best Song of the 60s

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

things are getting severe now. . .

Match 1: The Mamas and The Papas (I like both but I will give it to California Dreaming for the nostalgia)

Match 2: Jefferson Airplane (a great song, and it got in my radar for good when it played in the Apollo 13 film/soundtrack)

Match 3: The Rolling Stones (Not my favourite Stones song, but the CCR song says nothing to me)

Match 4: The Rolling Stones again (just because I nominated it, I won't mind if Marvin Gaye goes through, great song as well)

Match 1: Rolling Stones - Paint it Black

Match 2: Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love

Match 3: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad moon rising

Match 4: Rolling Stones - Satisfaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

California Dreaming and Bad Moon Rising. The only two songs left I like

Match 1: The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin

Match 2: Elvis - Suspicious Minds

Match 3: Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil

Match 4: Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

I’m an equal opportunities voter this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

California Dreamin
    Elvis
    Stones

Gaye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Match 1: The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin v Rolling Stones - Paint it Black

Match 2: Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love v Elvis - Suspicious Minds

Match 3: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising v Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil

Match 4: Rolling Stones - Satisfaction v Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

Two of my nominations in there, fairly confident one of them will win the crown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Match 1: The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black ; tough choice as I really love both, but Paint It Black is one of my nominations, so gets my vote.

Match 2: Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love ; the superior song here. I like Suspicious Minds, but this should be the end of the road for it in this comp.

Match 3: The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil ; Bad Moon Rising just doesn't have winner potential for me and even though I like it, its probably my least favourite remaining song in the comp. Paint It Black is the superior Stones song, but Sympathy For The Devil is a cracker too.

Match 4: Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine ; one of my nominations and an iconic '60s classic with mass appeal regardless of what genre people personally favour.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 1: Rolling Stones - Paint it Black. Very nearly made my own list of nominations.

Match 2: Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love.

Match 3: Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil. Left Bad Moon Rising off my own list in favour of a different CCR song as I reckoned it might get nominated by someone else. But I have to go with my actual nomination here.

Match 4: Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine. Two absolute classics that I love equally, but I can't vote for three Stones songs in the one group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Match 1: The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin v Rolling Stones - Paint it Black

Match 3: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising v Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil

Match 4: Rolling Stones - Satisfaction v Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

#1 Paint It Black
    Dark, mysterious and cool as fúck. Imo this just has more going for it than California Dreamin' , although the latter certainly has very nice vocal harmonies.

#2 Somebody to Love
    Other than sticking by my nomination, this song is just a brilliant tune. Aside from Grace Slick's powerful vocals, the instrumental bits in the middle and the end are also terrific.

#3 Sympathy for the Devil
    The WOOH WOOH chorus is pretty iconic. Would struggle to choose between this and Paint It Black, if they got through and faced each other (Gimme Shelter was my Stones nomination). This was the toughest pick for me in this round because I really like Bad Moon Rising too.

#4 I Heard It Through the Grapevine
    Along with ASLB I also nominated this, and totally agree with their assessment that this is a song that transcends genres - whether your preferred genre is country, metal or techno I think this song has mass appeal as it's so well written. And his voice was superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Match 1:
    Rolling Stones - Paint it Black

Match 2:
    Elvis - Suspicious Minds

Match 3:
    Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil

Match 4:
    Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Match 1: The Mamas and the Papas - California dreaming

Match 2: Elvis - Suspicious Minds

Match 3: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising

Match 4: Rolling Stones - Satisfaction

Necro wrote: »
    California Dreaming. Paint It Black is probably the better song and will likely win but sticking with my nomination here, I just enjoy it more.

Jefferson Airplane - no contest. Fun song, and Elvis must be stopped..

Visit Graceland, you’ll change ur mind on Elvis

What's elvis ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

ShaneU wrote: »
    Match 5: Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival great song

v Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones what a tune
    (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones class

Match 8: Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix just wow

What's elvis ever done for us?

The Elvis sandwich (peanut butter, bacon and banana)

nonfeature-elvis-grilled-cheese-sandwich.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ixjsv=2.2.3&w=750

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Zaph wrote:

*Shudders*

Match 13 now 5-5
    Necro wrote: »
    After listening to the two I'm gonna go Jackie Wilson
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Match 13: Summer in the City - The Lovin Spoonful

Match 14: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones

Match 15: Keep on Running - Spencer Davis Group

Match 16:I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
    Match 13: Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher 6 - 5 Lovin Spoonful - Summer in the City

Rainbow what happened here?

The Necro school of competition running?

Edit: or was it just up to 6?

I’ll retract the Necro comment
    it was an awful slur and I’m sorry

Green&Red wrote:

I voted first :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Zaph wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Green&Red wrote: »

The Necro school of competition running?

Edit: or was it just up to 6?

I’ll retract the Necro comment
    it was an awful slur and I’m sorry

It was up to 6 like all of the other votes in that round and Necro's vote was valid. Not sure what the problem is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Match 1: Rolling Stones - Paint it Black

Match 2: abstain, no great love for either

Match 3: Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil, tough one that

As we're a few pages down shall I do a public service announcement? Until midday to pick between these...

Match 1: The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin 10 v 6 Rolling Stones - Paint it Black

Match 2: Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love 10 v 5 Elvis - Suspicious Minds

Match 3: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising 9 v 8 Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil

Match 4: Rolling Stones - Satisfaction 5 v 11 Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

So the Rolling Stones that had an impressive three songs in the last eight have all three knocked out in the quarter finals. Semi finals coming shortly.

SEMI- FINALS: There is no quota. Voting is open until 6:30pm. Please give a reason with your vote, for your vote to count.

SEMI FINAL 1:

The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' v Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love

v

SEMI FINAL 2:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising v Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through the Grapevine

v

SEMI FINAL 1:
    The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' v Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love

California Dreamin. Lovely song, and I really don't get the hype over the other one

SEMI FINAL 2:
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising v Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through the Grapevine

This is a toughie. both excellent songs. Will give it to Marvin Gaye, one of the best openings to a song ever

Sticking with my nominations here

Match 1: Mamas and Papas - California Dreamin. I just think it's the better song tbh. I like Jefferson Airplane but California Dreamin is just better. Surprised both made it to the semis but one has to lose here.

Match 2: Creedence Clearwater Revival - some are saying about Marvin Gaye being genre transcending - I think it's equally true for Bad Moon Rising tbh. Short and sweet, and excellent. No hard feelings if Gaye wins here though, it's an excellent song too.

SEMI FINAL 1:
    The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin'.

This is tough now but California Dreamin' is just so perfect for singing along to!

SEMI FINAL 2:
    Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through the Grapevine

Struggled with this one but even the intro to this gives me goosebumps! It's such a good song.

• Advertisement

Semi Final 1: The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreamin' - difficult enough choice as I really like both songs, but California Dreamin' is an outright classic and was probably one of my favourite songs as a youngster. Would be happy to see it in the final and it would be a worthy winner of the competition.

Semi Final 2: Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine - this I think could be a worthy overall winner, and a song I'm always happy to hear, definitely makes me want to get up and dance or sing along whenever it comes on... Bad Moon Rising on the other hand just doesn't evoke any particular emotion in me, it's a fairly inoffensive enjoyable song but nothing particularly special about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

California Dreamin - great melody and harmonies.

Marvin Gaye - fantastic voice. Don't understand the love for the CCR song at all.. it's very twee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Mamas and papas and marvin gaye for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Where is Waterloo sunset in this god forsaken poll??

Where is Waterloo sunset in this god forsaken poll??

Knocked out by a bang average Stones song, Sympathy for the Devil

I'm going to pass on the first as I've no strong feelings for either

It's just a stone cold classic, every time I hear it I love it

• Advertisement

Wooo Wooo! :D

California Dreamin’ - it is the better song.

Marvin Gaye - no contest really for me here. Should also be a contender for best song ever!

California dreaming is such a great song,, really enjoy it,

Heard it through the grapevine, is a beautiful and soulful song

While we're all waiting, why not check this out folks...

Best Song EVER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

SEMI FINAL 2:

Should be the winner in my opinion. Just a class song that never ages. Marvin's vocals are just stunning on this and if it weren't for the fact that I nominated it, I would if thought it came out in the 80's as it just sounds so ahead of its era.

• Advertisement

SEMI FINAL 1:

My nomination and THE BEST song of the 60's

SEMI FINAL 2:

My nomination and The ALMOST BEST song of the 60's :D

I want to see these two fight it out in the final!

#1 Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love
    Because it's the song I listen to more, has a very powerful vocal and some great instrumentation. Also really damn catchy. While Calufornia Dreamin' is very nice, I would rarely go oyt if my way ro listen to it.

#2 Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through the Grapevine
    Bad Moon Rising is great but Grapevine is probably one of the greatest songs ever written. The melody is great, the vocal is flawless and it has mass appeal.

SEMI FINAL 1:
    Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love. Not really a fan of The Mamas and the Papas tbh. It's an OK song, but Somebody to Love has more of a kick to it.

SEMI FINAL 2:
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising. Really tough one this, both songs are classics. Going with this just because I only left it off my list in favour of another CCR song.

792193_4934d3c9ecc24488b84dc1b0a20dcbb4~mv2.webp

SEMI FINAL 1: California Dreamin' - The Mamas and the Papas 9 v 2 Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane

SEMI FINAL 2: Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival 2 - 11 Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

A fairly emphatic result in both semi-finals. Final coming shortly.

FINAL

Like our national polling stations voting will be left open until 10pm. Please give a reason with your vote to make it count. There is no quota

California Dreamin' - The Mamas and the Papas v Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

v

Yay epic final! Two great songs but slightly prefer California Dreamin' love that flute solo!

Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

Not the semi-final winner I'd have preferred, but I can't be too disappointed about it as this is a certifiable classic that would have got my vote if it was matched against at least 90% of the other songs in the competition.

I'm actually ok with either song winning this but I'm gonna go with....

Marvin Gaye - Heard It Through The Grapevine.

Delighted one of my nominations made it to the final but this is quite clearly the better song.

Probably not 'the best' of the 60's but these are the choices and that's my vote :)

This is really tough because I really really love both these songs. Heard It Through The Grapevine was one of my noms and I've been championing the song all through the competition because it kind of transcends genres and who doesn't love it. On the other hand California Dreamin' is a just a beautiful song and I've always been a big fan of it too, it was certainly a childhood favourite.

Very very close call, but my pick for overall winner is...

Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine

• Advertisement
Advertisement