Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Lodgers usually late with paying rent?

Options
  • 05-02-2020 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys a quick one for anyone availing of rent a room scheme or even lodgers themselves if you have an opinion. Is it par for the course for lodgers to be late with rent? I rent two rooms for the last few years and I have rarely if ever had a payment on time. I have a licence that states rent due date is "on or before last day of month" Last year I even put in a late fee clause in the hope it would deter late rents. (im not cheeky enough to ask for the late fee when they eventually pay:o). Of course I dont care if its a day or so late if its a bank holiday or the odd time if theres something up but its constant!
    I am fairly quiet and hate confrontation. Am I being a bit OTT / Mean spirited to ask them nicely but firmly to pay as per agreement on the last day of the month or else pay the late fee. Now in fairness they do eventually pay, But my mortgage goes out on the last day of the month and they ad-hoc pay on the 4th....5th...6th.. sometimes 7th. I am job hunting so the cash flow is fairly tight which means I am missing the odd mortgage and find it hard to catch up. (maybe I need to work on my budgeting possibly too :o
    I don't actually want a late fee at all from the guys I just want them to pay on time. When any lodger moves in I actually always mention my mortgage comes out on the last day and that's why its important to pay on that day and if that is in anyway a problem for them they always say no problem at all. If they wanted a different payment date that suited their own wage date that would be no problem at all. In fact I normally ask is on or before last day of month ok with you or would you like an alternate date. I don't want to go moaning to them that I am tight as I am between jobs as its not their problem. Should I just suck it up and try budget better or should I grow a pair and say come on lads cough up the rent PLUS the late fee :cool: Any thoughts or opinions :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

In your own words, you should grow a pair and tell them to cough up on time BUT you should also work on your budgeting skills (I say this because you say there’s room for this to happen) and try to get a bit ahead so you’re not quite so dependant on that money on a certain day. Your credit rating is affected if you’re struggling with paying on tine, theirs is not. It’s not easy, but if one of them skipped off leaving you short on rent, you’d still have to pay your mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Hi Guys a quick one for anyone availing of rent a room scheme or even lodgers themselves if you have an opinion. Is it par for the course for lodgers to be late with rent? I rent two rooms for the last few years and I have rarely if ever had a payment on time. I have a licence that states rent due date is "on or before last day of month" Last year I even put in a late fee clause in the hope it would deter late rents. (im not cheeky enough to ask for the late fee when they eventually pay:o). Of course I dont care if its a day or so late if its a bank holiday or the odd time if theres something up but its constant!
    I am fairly quiet and hate confrontation. Am I being a bit OTT / Mean spirited to ask them nicely but firmly to pay as per agreement on the last day of the month or else pay the late fee. Now in fairness they do eventually pay, But my mortgage goes out on the last day of the month and they ad-hoc pay on the 4th....5th...6th.. sometimes 7th. I am job hunting so the cash flow is fairly tight which means I am missing the odd mortgage and find it hard to catch up. (maybe I need to work on my budgeting possibly too :o
    I don't actually want a late fee at all from the guys I just want them to pay on time. When any lodger moves in I actually always mention my mortgage comes out on the last day and that's why its important to pay on that day and if that is in anyway a problem for them they always say no problem at all. If they wanted a different payment date that suited their own wage date that would be no problem at all. In fact I normally ask is on or before last day of month ok with you or would you like an alternate date. I don't want to go moaning to them that I am tight as I am between jobs as its not their problem. Should I just suck it up and try budget better or should I grow a pair and say come on lads cough up the rent PLUS the late fee :cool: Any thoughts or opinions :confused:
    Cough up the rent and the late fee. Though it depends how late of course.

And remember if it is a bank transfer the tenant might pay on Monday and you not get the money till Friday. You have to go by the date they pay not the date that you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Cough up the rent and the late fee. Though it depends how late of course.

And remember if it is a bank transfer the tenant might pay on Monday and you not get the money till Friday. You have to go by the date they pay not the date that you get it.

I don't agree with that.
    I don't rent but if I'm paying a credit card bill or any utility, it's up to me as the payer to allow the clearing days for the payment to hit the payee account.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you don't make a big deal out of it then it will continue to happen.

Make it clear to them that rent must be paid on time and enforce a late charge.
    If they are late a few times then get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I don't agree with that.
    I don't rent but if I'm paying a credit card bill or any utility, it's up to me as the payer to allow the clearing days for the payment to hit the payee account.
    Wrong. Payment is made when payment is made. It's settled law.

OP change the date of payment to the 21st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Maybe a long time ago, but bank transfers happen within 1 working day now.

I don't agree with that.

Your credit card company must love you, but thats not how the world works.

Once the money leaves your account its out of your hands. The bank can decide to transfer it straightaway, or hold onto it for a day or two to get some interest.

Anyway, thats an aside.

OP, is there a particular reason you have selected the arbitrary date of last day of the month?

The reason I ask, is because people get paid on different days. When I get paid, the first thing I do is pay my rent. Maybe ask the tenants when they get paid and ask for the rent 2-3 days after that?
    Maybe a long time ago, but bank transfers happen within 1 working day now.

Mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Once the money leaves your account its out of your hands. The bank can decide to transfer it straightaway, or hold onto it for a day or two to get some interest.

Anyway, thats an aside.

OP, is there a particular reason you have selected the arbitrary date of last day of the month?

The reason I ask, is because people get paid on different days. When I get paid, the first thing I do is pay my rent. Maybe ask the tenants when they get paid and ask for the rent 2-3 days after that?

Mostly.

Rent day is "anyday on of before the last day of the month" so literally anytime day time at all before that as my mortgage comes out on the last day of the month. :p I did ask for rents on other dates but it doesnt matter what date I give they are allways anywhere from 4 to 7 days late no matter what.

I don't agree with that.

I really dont mind if they pay at 2 minutes to midnight on the 31st and takes a day or two to come through to my bank i can live with that. As it takes normally 2 days for the bank to reverse the mortgage out as unpaid. Its the 4 and 5 plus days that are the issue.:cool:

Rent day is "anyday on of before the last day of the month" so literally anytime day time at all before that as my mortgage comes out on the last day of the month. :p I did ask for rents on other dates but it doesnt matter what date I give they are allways anywhere from 4 to 7 days late no matter what.

Then you need to have a conversation with them and say Rent day is the day before the last day of the month. If they can't pay it on that day, they should look for elsewhere to live.

It's a renters a market. You could find another lodger by 5pm this evening who will pay rent on time.

• Advertisement

Wrong. Payment is made when payment is made. It's settled law.

OP change the date of payment to the 21st.

I used to ask for rent on the 15th halfway through month but majority of lodgers preferred end of month as the were paid monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭hawley

I really dont mind if they pay at 2 minutes to midnight on the 31st and takes a day or two to come through to my bank i can live with that. As it takes normally 2 days for the bank to reverse the mortgage out as unpaid. Its the 4 and 5 plus days that are the issue.:cool:
    Maybe you could tell them that you are quite short on cash at the moment and that it's really necessary for you to get the rent on time. I don't think you need to have any sort of confrontation. If they don't pay on time after that, tell them that you are going to give them notice if it happens in future.

Then you need to have a conversation with them and say Rent day is the day before the last day of the month. If they can't pay it on that day, they should look for elsewhere to live.

It's a renters a market. You could find another lodger by 5pm this evening who will pay rent on time.

To be honest im a major "people pleaser" and hate being the big bad greedy landlord . So it looks like the majority of you guys say put your foot down peppa. I did put down 15 euro per day as a late charge would ye think thats a bit stiff ;) Im sure no-one is going to happily pay me an extra 40 or 50 yo yos a month for a few days credit lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

To be honest im a major "people pleaser" and hate being the big bad greedy landlord . So it looks like the majority of you guys say put your foot down peppa. I did put down 15 euro per day as a late charge would ye think thats a bit stiff ;) Im sure no-one is going to happily pay me an extra 40 or 50 yo yos a month for a few days credit lol

Don't be slobbering around with late fees. Tell them to have the rent on time or look for somewhere else to live

Don't be slobbering around with late fees. Tell them to have the rent on time or look for somewhere else to live

Ill have my bluetooth headphones on when the Violins come out :rolleyes:

It shouldn't matter but I'm a renter.

So many conversations on this forum become Landlord versus Renter/lodger, but this is not one of those. I think everyone universally agrees, late payment of rent is not on.

Next time the rent is late, make sure you get the late fee. And a few days later say to them, "Due to spiralling costs, the late fee is going up to 20 euro".

If my rent was late by four days my estate agent would hound me every waking minute until it got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Rented rooms for 5 years and never had a lodger pay late. My rule is the money is in my account BEFORE the 1st of the month. That's a contract and that's settled law.

It shouldn't matter but I'm a renter.

So many conversations on this forum become Landlord versus Renter/lodger, but this is not one of those. I think everyone universally agrees, late payment of rent is not on.

Next time the rent is late, make sure you get the late fee. And a few days later say to them, "Due to spiralling costs, the late fee is going up to 20 euro".

If my rent was late by four days my estate agent would hound me every waking minute until it got paid.

thanks denartha , Definitly I am so grateful there are people happy to rent a room in my home and it makes a HUGE difference to my income and puts a serious dent in the mortgage. I allways say to them "this is your home" I 1000% appreciate the income. I just didnt want to throw the baby out with the bathwater annoying them every month about late rent and extracting extra cash from them. I just kinda thought it would start to give a slight chill to the otherwise friendly homely atmosphere. But as you say "thems the rulez"

Rented rooms for 5 years and never had a lodger pay late. My rule is the money is in my account BEFORE the 1st of the month. That's a contract and that's settled law.

I actually might amend my contract to that Samuel. Then theirs no vagueness about 28 month days etc:cool: seems more straight forward
    Cheers I think ill take that nugget. How did you never have a late rent? Im thinking your 6 foot 6 and look like a doorman :P

I actually might amend my contract to that Samuel. Then theirs no vagueness about 28 month days etc:cool: seems more straight forward
    Cheers I think ill take that nugget. How did you never have a late rent? Im thinking your 6 foot 6 and look like a doorman :P

My wife is 6'3 :pac: but seriously we've just been firm but fair on the rules from day 1 with people. Did have some issues with bank holidays etc on an apartment we rent but thankfully and touch wood that's sorted now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You should never tell your business to the lodgers. You should not be explaining about your mortgage to them. That is actually showing weakness. Usual insist on payment on time because your deck and if you don't get payment on time it's door. That should be the case whether you need money now or in 10 years.
    You have started on the wrongfoot with those lodgers and you just have to get rid of them and get some new lodgers who are housetrained.
    Some people insist on paying their bills on time as the don't like the stress of going money, others pay when prodded or reminded and some never pay. If you start to the tenant and insist on being paid on time it would become a habit and they will do it. If you allow slackness that will become a habit and they will continue to do it.

You should never tell your business to the lodgers. You should not be explaining about your mortgage to them. That is actually showing weakness. Usual insist on payment on time because your deck and if you don't get payment on time it's door. That should be the case whether you need money now or in 10 years.
    You have started on the wrongfoot with those lodgers and you just have to get rid of them and get some new lodgers who are housetrained.
    Some people insist on paying their bills on time as the don't like the stress of going money, others pay when prodded or reminded and some never pay. If you start to the tenant and insist on being paid on time it would become a habit and they will do it. If you allow slackness that will become a habit and they will continue to do it.

im my own worst enemy and I made the situation true. I didnt go into too much detail re mortgage i just said all "my bills and direct debits come out last day of month" I just didnt get your comment about it being my deck? i never heard the phrase before. Whats it mean?

You shouldn't have any contract with a lodger, it will do nothing but potentially give them something to try to use against you.

Tell them rent must be paid to you and be in your account on the last day of the month or else they will be given a week to move out simple as that.

That's a contract in fairness, albeit a verbal one but I agree on written contracts.

Yes for years I didnt have any sort of "Licence" the place was a disaster. House left filthy, parties, breakages. At least a hell of a lot of messing came in when I had them sign a licence outlining deposit ... smoking policy... It definitly helps its not a contract but a licence which can be revoked at any time by either party if they give at least 30 days notice.

Yes for years I didnt have any sort of "Licence" the place was a disaster. House left filthy, parties, breakages. At least a hell of a lot of messing came in when I had them sign a licence outlining deposit ... smoking policy... It definitly helps its not a contract but a licence which can be revoked at any time by either party if they give at least 30 days notice.

I wouldn't outline the notice period. You're contracting yourself to additional rights there as Nox was alluding to. Fine to have a set of house rules though, get them to sign it and you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I don't agree with that.

If my credit card payment is due say on 29th then that is when I pay it. I don't pay it earlier to allow for clearance, and have not heard of this as an obligation.

OP could you put aside one month's advance mortgage so that you are not always waiting on rent to come in so that the mortgage can be paid? Presumably you also have money siphoned in case of urgent repairs needed to the property etc.? What would happen to your mortgage if the boiler needed replacing etc.?

Re the tenants, it is possible that people are struggling and trying to cover gaps with long and short pay periods e.g. paid last day of the month might be 24th sometimes and 31st others. Not an excuse though - I would probably still take a harder line.

Antares35 wrote: »
    If my credit card payment is due say on 29th then that is when I pay it. I don't pay it earlier to allow for clearance, and have not heard of this as an obligation.

OP could you put aside one month's advance mortgage so that you are not always waiting on rent to come in so that the mortgage can be paid? Presumably you also have money siphoned in case of urgent repairs needed to the property etc.? What would happen to your mortgage if the boiler needed replacing etc.?

Re the tenants, it is possible that people are struggling and trying to cover gaps with long and short pay periods e.g. paid last day of the month might be 24th sometimes and 31st others. Not an excuse though - I would probably still take a harder line.

Im paycheck to paycheck as between jobs, while working I really didnt care how late people were to be honest its just its gotten a little tighter. Luckily have had very good luck and nothing major has broken thankfully. I hope to be working soon so I wont be so tight then:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Don't mind this asking for payment and EFT and all the other excuses and bullsh!t.

It is your house and your rules.

Tell them that you have new payment terms - standing order only to be made on a particular date each month. Effective immediately. if they have a problem with it they know where the door is.

They see you as a soft touch and you'll do nothing so they are taking the piss.

Your business and the ins and outs of your mortgage is none of their business. They do not need to know any of that.

You are better off without a written contract and I'll tell you why. You can be held to it. With no written contract you are the one in a stronger position as it is your house, owner occupied and the accepted thing is for reasonable notice to vacate to be given. Reasonable can depend on the circumstances. In my view, if a lodger was getting lippy i would consider reasonable notice the amount of time it would take to effect their ejection from the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Anyway, thats an aside.

Mostly.
    Credit card statements clearly state to allow 2 to 3 days for payment to clear.
    If the money leaves my account on time but it doesn't hit the credit card company until its a day 'late', as per their payment date, I'm absolutely going to be charged interest and maybe a late payment fee.
    The credit card company does not give a fiddlers when the money left my account.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your replies, I have amended the Licence to "rent must be paid on or before the 1st of the month"
    Also I just found out to my surprise I can alter my payment date with the bank! I didnt realise you could adjust your Mortgage Payment date so have changed the mortgage payment date to the 5th of the month to allow for late rents !:cool: That gives me some great breathing room. :cool:

Advertisement