Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance or Travel Insurance?

• 05-02-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Looking for some advice here, as the replies I've gotten from insurance companies have been a bit vague (to me anyway).

I work in Ireland for an Irish company etc, but spend more or less 3 weeks every few weeks abroad working remotely. (the working remotely is a personal thing, not a company thing)

I don't have any health insurance plan in Ireland or abroad (another long story). I have the EU health card etc, but looking at getting some kind of basic plan as I'm in my 40s, and you never know!

So currently I never spend more than 30 days abroad at a time. Should I look at a travel insurance plan, or should I look at a health insurance plan in Ireland with some kind of hospital cover for the EU? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

maybe an irish life paln that also offers travel insurance?

I have 4D health 3 through work and this has it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

maybe an irish life paln that also offers travel insurance?

I have 4D health 3 through work and this has it

Yeah, maybe so. I may be going to get a routine procedure done abroad down the line in a private hospital, so just want to see if there might be any cover at all if I do go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Table of Cover

^ theres the table of cover for it anyways if thats of some use to you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Travel insurance and the EC health card only cover medical emergencies, nothing more and then only for the purpose of tourism, not remote working. If the claims are small, it will almost certainly go unchallenged. But if you have to make a big claim, then you can expect the loss adjusters to get involved and it may be a different outcome.

Start by deciding what coverage you want and then seek appropriate policies. For abroad I'd suggest at a minimum, the typical holiday insurance plus repatriation and acknowledgement that it is not restricted to holiday type activities nor has any kind of limitation on the amount of time covered in a single or multiple visits to a given location - which some policies do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marepacificum

The first question one would have to ask before attempting to answer the original question is: Where are you resident?

Everything depends on your residency status and the statutory cover you would already have through residency.
    EU rules (E111, E126) would cover quite a bit of risk. Also, there is a statutory EU entitlement to get a refund on health expenses anywhere in the EU from the health insurance of your EU country of residence depending on its level of cover.

It all depends on your residency status.

Private health insurance considerations come after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

The first question one would have to ask before attempting to answer the original question is: Where are you resident?

Everything depends on your residency status and the statutory cover you would already have through residency.
    EU rules (E111, E126) would cover quite a bit of risk. Also, there is a statutory EU entitlement to get a refund on health expenses anywhere in the EU from the health insurance of your EU country of residence depending on its level of cover.

It all depends on your residency status.

Private health insurance considerations come after that.

Apologies for the late reply here. I missed the reply notifications.
    I am resident in Ireland officially. And I pay my taxes etc here. It just so happens I am able to work remotely.
    If I were to get a social security number etc in Spain, I don't know how messy things would get.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Granadino wrote: »
    Apologies for the late reply here. I missed the reply notifications.
    I am resident in Ireland officially. And I pay my taxes etc here. It just so happens I am able to work remotely.
    If I were to get a social security number etc in Spain, I don't know how messy things would get.

But if you were to become seriously sick while abroad and the loss adjustors get involved... the first thing they will do is challenge your actual residence, not what you have on paper and bang goes your insurance.

If you feel the need for insurance, then you need to make sure it is well locked down for when you need it.

Advertisement