Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Physical Competency Test

• 05-02-2020 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Just got word I passed the interview and I jumped 450 places in my OOM!

So I now have the PCT to worry about.

I just tried doing the push ups/sit ups and they were no bother.
    The obstacle course should be grand.
    I don't think I'll have any issue with the push pull, I'm 5'7 but I've been working part time in a shop dragging combi's around the place and stacking crates of beer for the past few months.

The beep test is the only thing that worries me, I'm asthmatic but I also haven't played sports in a good while.
    How hard is it? I need an 8.8 apparently.

For those who've done it? Was it tough?
    I've heard from lads who've said 'oh it was handy' but they're big GAA fellas..

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

MrMiata wrote: »
    Just got word I passed the interview and I jumped 450 places in my OOM!

So I now have the PCT to worry about.

I just tried doing the push ups/sit ups and they were no bother.
    The obstacle course should be grand.
    I don't think I'll have any issue with the push pull, I'm 5'7 but I've been working part time in a shop dragging combi's around the place and stacking crates of beer for the past few months.

The beep test is the only thing that worries me, I'm asthmatic but I also haven't played sports in a good while.
    How hard is it? I need an 8.8 apparently.

For those who've done it? Was it tough?
    I've heard from lads who've said 'oh it was handy' but they're big GAA fellas..

Any advice?

I'm not going to lie - I found the beep test the toughest, and I'm female so I had to get less of a score than you.

I originally applied for the 2018 campaign and failed the PCT on the beep test, the retest got lost between the cracks and didn't take place until 8-12 months later, and I also failed the beep test (didn't really keep the training up during the interim).

I applied for the 2019 campaign and I'm just waiting for a start date now - I just passed my level on the beep test for the PCT. I go to the gym three to four times a week for PT classes that focus on strength/conditioning, with cardio (AMRAP/crossfit) mixed in. I also do running in my personal time on a treadmill.

I definitely suggest you practice, practice, practice - there's a few apps out there that have the beep test on it so you can work on the timing and some videos on youtube etc.

The main thing to remember is not to go hell for leather for the first few rounds - pace yourself. Take long strides, remember that your foot only has to touch the line, not cross it. I always had my toe just tipping the line, my second leg already a stride away for when the beep would sound so that I essentially already had a stride in. I had it paced out so that my last stride would be more of a 'hop' than full stride so I could end with my toe tipping the line and save half a stride on the way back.

Don't take the push/pull for granted though - the quicker you get through the obstacle course the better, as you could get a concession on the weight. But I've seen plenty of fit people fail on the push/pull because they don't generate the required weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

I'm not going to lie - I found the beep test the toughest, and I'm female so I had to get less of a score than you.

I originally applied for the 2018 campaign and failed the PCT on the beep test, the retest got lost between the cracks and didn't take place until 8-12 months later, and I also failed the beep test (didn't really keep the training up during the interim).

I applied for the 2019 campaign and I'm just waiting for a start date now - I just passed my level on the beep test for the PCT. I go to the gym three to four times a week for PT classes that focus on strength/conditioning, with cardio (AMRAP/crossfit) mixed in. I also do running in my personal time on a treadmill.

I definitely suggest you practice, practice, practice - there's a few apps out there that have the beep test on it so you can work on the timing and some videos on youtube etc.

The main thing to remember is not to go hell for leather for the first few rounds - pace yourself. Take long strides, remember that your foot only has to touch the line, not cross it. I always had my toe just tipping the line, my second leg already a stride away for when the beep would sound so that I essentially already had a stride in. I had it paced out so that my last stride would be more of a 'hop' than full stride so I could end with my toe tipping the line and save half a stride on the way back.

Don't take the push/pull for granted though - the quicker you get through the obstacle course the better, as you could get a concession on the weight. But I've seen plenty of fit people fail on the push/pull because they don't generate the required weight.

Have you any advise for the push/pull. I failed on this. Have my repeat in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

St.Brigids wrote: »
    Have you any advise for the push/pull. I failed on this. Have my repeat in 2 weeks.

The sensors on the machine measure the force exerted when you are pushing and pulling so concentrate on pushing/pulling as hard as you can. Not the speed or amount of reps. The harder you push then the more resistance the machine puts up and the higher your score is. The requirement is not that high so do a few dumbbell to build up biceps and triceps a few weeks before the test.

Also keep a wide karate stance with your feet to generate extra power

Advertisement