Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam, what to get and where to get it - vol. 2

Options

Comments

Masala wrote: »
    Hi,,,, not sure if Boards have a dedicated Dash Cam buyers thread

Looking to buy a front Cam as a Xmas present for daughter new car and would appreciate Boards advice as to what to get and where o get it

many thanks in advance...

MODS.... feel free to move if I am posting in wrong forum

regards
    The mods here don’t like them and have shut a few so I don’t think one exists. Before this goes I’d recommend Anker if not looking to spend too much or Viofo if quality matters more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Next base, think the 522gw is supposed to be the business... think I seen bob flavin giving it thumbs up too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nextbase gets my vote.
    The one with the built in G sensor and WiFi so a GW version.

You can add rear view camera and also an internal facing camera.

I always found the real life picture out of a nextbase to be hugely inferior to what the specs tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

LillySV wrote: »
    Next base, think the 522gw is supposed to be the business... think I seen bob flavin giving it thumbs up too

I have this one & find it great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

The mods here don’t like them and have shut a few .

Pardon my ignorance but why don't they like them?

I'm in the market for one too but I need one with the impact activation feature, as it's people hitting it in car parks is our greatest concern.
    Will the Anker do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We just keep all the same questions in one thread.
    Merged this to current dash mega thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

looking to get a front and rear dash cam, any good makes / model out there, Black Friday is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

tech wrote: »
    looking to get a front and rear dash cam, any good makes / model out there, Black Friday is coming

I was thinking something like this, as i have the front only version in a previous car.
    https://www.halfords.ie/black-friday/all-black-friday-deals/nextbase-522gw-front-and-rear-dash-cam-bundle-450454.html

then you have this model which my brother has.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/%E3%80%90Updated-Version%E3%80%91APEMAN-Recording-Detection-Monitoring-C-550/dp/B07GPWV9RV/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2W44GXZ0P1IX9&dchild=1&keywords=front+and+rear+dash+cam&qid=1605434059&sprefix=front+and+%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-11

Viofo A129 Duo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Viofo A129 Duo.

where is the cheapest you have found this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Does anyone know if a Nextbase 522 can be left running all the time after ignition off or does it need a special hot wire from the battery , or does anyone do that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Looking at this:
    https://www.nextbase.com/en-ie/dash-cam-features/intelligent-parking-mode/

it goes to sleep but will be activated by any bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

trellheim wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a Nextbase 522 can be left running all the time after ignition off or does it need a special hot wire from the battery , or does anyone do that sort of thing

I have mine (same one) hardwired to be be powered when the accessory is on, but there is an internal battery to allow it to record in the event of vibration.

Got the Nextbase 522 in Halfords today and installed in the son's car. He is delighted with it. Thanks lads for the help and Phil for the heads up on the Black Friday offer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Micksgarage.com have big sales on dash cams today. 50% on at least one model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Just a heads up about the 522. I have one but had problems where it would freeze/stop recording after about 30 minutes of driving. It seems to be a common enough problem going by an English forum, but I sorted it by doing a complete format (not a quick one) of the card on my pc.

Just double check that it's actually recording every now and then because you're given no notification that it stops and the live view stays on. There should be a small recording symbol at the bottom left of the screen and a timer counting up. It was weeks before I realised mine wasn't actually recording!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

Is this Garmin mini any good? IT looks really small. Is a screen really needed on dash cams? You can download to phone

https://www.halfords.ie/seasonal/christmas/christmas-gifts/motoring-gifts/technology-gifts/garmin-dash-cam-mini-256150.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi all, has anyone spotted any Black Friday deals on good dashcams?

I have a family Kris Kindle with a €75 budget that I'm really struggling to nominate something for so thinking dashcam!

Priorities are:
    • As subtle as possible. Not a fan of trailing wires or anything extraneous in the car.
    • High image quality
    • GPS seems like it would be a good thing to have?
    • Good connectivity to phone. Don't really see the need for a screen on the unit itself

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

The Halford's one in Post 124 above is good. My son says it's discreet, haven't seen it installed yet myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xiaomi-70mai-d06-1s-smart-car-dash-cam-1080p-ps2799-delivered-at-mymemory-3606450

Might be of some use to some one. I can't speak for the dash cam but in general Xiaomi make very good stuff for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Rocko wrote: »
    Is this Garmin mini any good? IT looks really small. Is a screen really needed on dash cams? You can download to phone

https://www.halfords.ie/seasonal/christmas/christmas-gifts/motoring-gifts/technology-gifts/garmin-dash-cam-mini-256150.html

Also considering this one. Is the lack of GPS an issue ?

Hi all, has anyone spotted any Black Friday deals on good dashcams?

I have a family Kris Kindle with a €75 budget that I'm really struggling to nominate something for so thinking dashcam!

Priorities are:
    • As subtle as possible. Not a fan of trailing wires or anything extraneous in the car.
    • High image quality
    • GPS seems like it would be a good thing to have?
    • Good connectivity to phone. Don't really see the need for a screen on the unit itself

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

I have this one - Nextbase Rear View Mirror Dashcam.

Its really come down in price too - with hardwire was €200 when I got it installed about 18 months ago, so thats a good price.

It fits over the current mirror, and hardwired in, you wouldn't even notice it. The screen can be set to turn off after 30 seconds, so its recording in the background but doesn't interfere with the mirror.

With Brexit coming shortly and parcel motel essentially ending I'm definitely going to make a move on a dash cam in the next day or two.

Was looking at the Garmin stuff but there's a lot of over heating issues being reported with them.

The Nextbase 522gw is too big for my liking but the 422gw seem a contender. The only difference between the two seems to be the 522 anti glare lense.

The Viofo A129 seems to tick all the boxes but am curious if anyone on here uses one ?

Dash Cam VIOFO A129 Duo Dual Full HD 1080P Sony Sensor Front and Rear Cameras Super Night Vision 2.0" LCD 5GHz Wi-Fi GPS Included, Buffered Parking Mode, Motion Detection, G-sensor, WDR https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DHKLH4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_0oO3Fb5NTEQ76

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Viofos are known for their reliability and decent picture quality. I use A119S myself, nothing but praise. :)

That A129 Duo is what I’ve had for a good while now (coming on 2 years) and it’s been flawless since I got it. Way more discreet than a next base too with much better video quality.

I've ordered the A119 V3 for £100. From a brief look at reviews it supposedly has better resolution than the A129 and not as prone to overheating. Should have in a few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Looking for opinions please folks, looking to get dual cams for the car. Narrowed it down to Viomo A129 Pro Duo and Blackvue DH750X-2CH. Both are coming in around the same price when specced to have parking mode and hard wired in the car. I like how discreet the front cam is for the Blackvue, but I've a buddy singing the praises of the Viomo which he has himself. Ideally want something easy to use with good quality at night.

Which would people recommend, or is there an alternative I've missed?

I've ordered the A119 V3 for £100. From a brief look at reviews it supposedly has better resolution than the A129 and not as prone to overheating. Should have in a few days :)

Anyone recommend a SD card for this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

This is what I use in my 119:

https://www.mymemory.ie/samsung-128gb-evo-plus-micro-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-u3-adapter-100mb-s-16824.html

2 years of daily use next week, not a single problem ever.

Advertisement