Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Am I the only one that a random wiki page of some old times person keeps popping up alot of the time when I unlock my phone? Is this anything to do with Bixby being installed, why would any phone/software ever implement the loading of random wiki pages? Its quite annoying at this stage, I installed new browser and same thing.

Sounds like you've got malware on your phone. Do a full reset in the phone and don't install from your backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Has anyone found the need to get a protector for the camera lens?

I bought a Spigen tough armor case https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082LNHFG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my s20 plus is that enough or?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Madio Sane

I currently have a Galaxy S7 which is pretty clapped out at this stage. I've been looking at various options for a new phone. I've been looking at the S10 and S20 mostly. I am thinking that paying that bit extra for a 5G enabled model so it is future proofed for 5G's more comprehensive rollout.

I've read some of the takes and the feedback seems mixed here. I am leaning towards the S20 or S20+. Is it worth paying the bit extra for the S20+ in your opinion? Any comments are welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Madio Sane wrote: »
    I currently have a Galaxy S7 which is pretty clapped out at this stage. I've been looking at various options for a new phone. I've been looking at the S10 and S20 mostly. I am thinking that paying that bit extra for a 5G enabled model so it is future proofed for 5G's more comprehensive rollout.

I've read some of the takes and the feedback seems mixed here. I am leaning towards the S20 or S20+. Is it worth paying the bit extra for the S20+ in your opinion? Any comments are welcome.

Coming from an s9+ to the s20+ im very happy so far!.

Anyone receive the May security update on their S20,+, yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

1jcdub wrote: »
    Anyone receive the May security update on their S20,+, yet?

Yeah got it on may 2nd

jones wrote: »
    Yeah got it on may 2nd

I'm on Vodafone. I believe the S20 plus is SIM free.
    Nothing yet for my phone

Anyone else with any of the S20 models experiencing their Samsung or Chrome browser freezing?
    I've experienced it the may few weeks. I've have to force close Chrome numerous times during the day. Switched to Canary Chrome and seems to be stable so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

1jcdub wrote: »
    Anyone else with any of the S20 models experiencing their Samsung or Chrome browser freezing?
    I've experienced it the may few weeks. I've have to force close Chrome numerous times during the day. Switched to Canary Chrome and seems to be stable so far

Yeah, happens alot. Happened on my s10 too.

Reati wrote: »
    Yeah, happens alot. Happened on my s10 too.

Running Canary Chrome the past week and hadn't frozen since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

What's the consensus on the S20 Ultra guys? Im due an upgrade with Vodafone and im ready to pull the trigger on this?
    Will be coming from an S9+ and battery life is starting to wane badly and i would be a heavy user throughout the day for both calls and internet.

(I have subscribed to this thread since it first appeared and the reason im asking is because I wanted some first hand info and reactions have seem mixed.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What's the consensus on the S20 Ultra guys? Im due an upgrade with Vodafone and im ready to pull the trigger on this? Will be coming from an S9+ and battery life is starting to wane badly and i would be a heavy user throughout the day for both calls and internet.

It depends on the price you get the phone for. If you take a two year deal then the phone itself will probably set you back close to 2k over two years. If you pay upfront for the phone then you can get them for around 1100 euro if you really search online for a 256g version. I don't think the s20 ultra 128GB is worth anywhere near 2k.

Battery is brilliant. It not only has fast charging but also has super fast charging. It even has fast wireless charging but you need a fast wireless charger. Camera is brilliant. HDR and 8K is brilliant. You will notice a huge difference in everything going from s9+ to the s20 ultra. Everything from size, battery, storage, memory and speed. It has the option of 120 refresh rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Thanks Sleeper12 you have just squeezed my finger on the trigger!
    Appreciate the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Purchased Galaxy Buds plus to go with my s20 plus from amazon at the start of the month for 182euro ..

Still no sign of them, however they got posted on Monday and if they don't arrive today I get my refund..

Wonder would I get to keep the buds if they ever arrive after that date.. Will be ridiculous having to wait another 3 weeks for them to arrive ..

Wonder would I get to keep the buds if they ever arrive after that date.. Will be ridiculous having to wait another 3 weeks for them to arrive ..

Eglobal have Galaxy Buds Plus for about 50 euros cheaper. Takes about a week before they get dispatched but you should have them 2/3 weeks after date of order

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Eglobal have Galaxy Buds Plus for about 50 euros cheaper. Takes about a week before they get dispatched but you should have them 2/3 weeks after date of order

Why they so cheap? I know they had a cheap s20 plus but that version appeared to have less ram than the one i got from Samsung...

I see they appear as 112euro .. Amazon is great for returns etc also but not sure its worth paying 30euro more to Amazon..

Why they so cheap? I know they had a cheap s20 plus but that version appeared to have less ram than the one i got from Samsung...

They ship from Korea. There is no eu vat. They also usually have better versions of Samsung phones. Most have the superior Snapdragon chip that EU phones don't get.

Amazon is more expensive but they have a terrific customer care system. For something like Buds though I'm happy to save & buy from Eglobal

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They ship from Korea. There is no eu vat. They also usually have better versions of Samsung phones. Most have the superior Snapdragon chip that EU phones don't get.

Amazon is more expensive but they have a terrific customer care system. For something like Buds though I'm happy to save & buy from Eglobal

Might just do that if they don't arrive within a week cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Been keeping an eye on a few phones lately but I think I'll go for the s20 128gb. Not overly fussed about 5g at the minute. The above price is the cheapest I've seen it from any sort of reliable site. It's 599stg on teco buy but the reviews of that site wouldn't fill me with too much confidence

Edit to add - I have found a 'pristine' refurb version for under 600 euro from a site that I have bought new phones from before. Unfortunately they aren't too forthcoming in how much previous usage etc.

Teco has some connection to eglobal ...... there is some long delays at the moment so if you go that route be prepared to wait

Next weekend could be a Samsung sale here given the bank holiday. If I were you, I would wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Another update out and about (ATE6) last couple days.

Camera improvement etc

Did the camera issue just affect the Ultra model or was there issue with the other 2 models as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

McDermotX wrote: »
    Another update out and about (ATE6) last couple days.

Camera improvement etc

Just got that update there. I wish they would explain what changes they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Just got that update there. I wish they would explain what changes they did

Aye

Some speculation here, but certainly the camera is to the forefront

https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-plus-ultra-quicker-autofocus-other-improvements-with-latest-update/

My yoke was updated yesterday, but haven't really noticed much as of yet. Must have a look at the close-up zoom function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

What network did you get the update on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

What network did you get the update on?

Eir

I'm on Vodafone. I got the update today for my S20+

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭butrasgali

On ebay.de
    The s20 ultra can be bought for less than 700 euro new..this sounds like a good deal..what do people think??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Finally got the May update on Three this morning.

• Advertisement

Been keeping an eye on a few phones lately but I think I'll go for the s20 128gb. Not overly fussed about 5g at the minute. The above price is the cheapest I've seen it from any sort of reliable site. It's 599stg on teco buy but the reviews of that site wouldn't fill me with too much confidence

Edit to add - I have found a 'pristine' refurb version for under 600 euro from a site that I have bought new phones from before. Unfortunately they aren't too forthcoming in how much previous usage etc.

If you still on the look out I posted this deal on BA which might suit.

Comes from Amazon with 3 year warranty so plenty of reassurance if anything does go wrong

Offer is on Amazon.de site . Phone is €696. Plus they are running offer to trade in your old phone . I just tried a 5 year old phone there and they are giving €116 for it.

So effectively getting the latest flagship under €600 inc 3 year warranty

https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Smartp...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Barr wrote: »
    If you still on the look out I posted this deal on BA which might suit.

Comes from Amazon with 3 year warranty so plenty of reassurance if anything does go wrong

Offer is on Amazon.de site . Phone is €696. Plus they are running offer to trade in your old phone . I just tried a 5 year old phone there and they are giving €116 for it.

So effectively getting the latest flagship under €600 inc 3 year warranty

https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Smartp...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Error on page?

Shiny new S20 for about €500 !

Seems to be only blue and pink though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

How do you see how much they'll give you for your old phone ? Do I need to be on the desktop site ?

Also a lot of reviews on Amazon seem to be 1-3 star, can't tell what people are saying as it's in German but does the S20 have it's fair share of problems ? Was considering the S10 but could stretch a little extra for the S20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

How do you see how much they'll give you for your old phone ? Do I need to be on the desktop site ?

Also a lot of reviews on Amazon seem to be 1-3 star, can't tell what people are saying as it's in German but does the S20 have it's fair share of problems ? Was considering the S10 but could stretch a little extra for the S20.

If you're not coming from the S10 then I'd say it's worth it if you get a good trade in value.

Anyone coming from the S10 is going to be very disappointed. There's more cons than pros.

I came from S10 to S20+ and regret it.

This was the site but the offer is offer now. I used chrome to translate

https://tradein.teqcycle.com/samsung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Going from an iPhone 11 to S20+ tomorrow. Has anyone done the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

rizzee wrote: »
    Going from an iPhone 11 to S20+ tomorrow. Has anyone done the same?

No, always had an android, did you always have an Iphone?

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    No, always had an android, did you always have an Iphone?

No, I change fairly regularly. Had the Note 10+ 5G in March also. Just fancied a change and want to check it out. Probably not much different, minus the s-pen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

MarkY91 wrote: »
    If you're not coming from the S10 then I'd say it's worth it if you get a good trade in value.

Anyone coming m th9e S10 is going to be very disappointed. There's more cons than pros.

I came from S10 to S20+ and regret it.

I've a choice between s10 and s20 or the notebook, can you tell me why not the s20?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I've a choice between s10 and s20 or the notebook, can you tell me why not the s20?

From my recent research I believe the camera has a few issues on the S20. There could be more but that what I've learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

From my recent research I believe the camera has a few issues on the S20. There could be more but that what I've learned.

Well I'm going from the Razer phone, I'm sure either would be a vast improvement.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Just got this phone, I've had it about 24 hours so far. Upgrade from an S9, and despite the bigger screen the handset really does not seem much bigger or bulkier in my hand.

Really happy with the build quality, screen etc so far. I've not been out to test the camera much but will have a play around over the weekend. Headphones seem decent, though I've realised that I don't have any USB/wireless headphones so if I lose the bundled pair I'm kinda fùcked.

How are people finding battery life? I'm not blown away yet, but in saying that I didn't have power saving on all the time and I was using it pretty constantly over the last 24 hours. Also it did warn me that Google chrome was draining battery in the background so it corrected that.

What settings have people used on power saver? I don't know the difference between the resolutions etc.

weemcd wrote: »
    Just got this phone, I've had it about 24 hours so far. Upgrade from an S9, and despite the bigger screen the handset really does not seem much bigger or bulkier in my hand.

Really happy with the build quality, screen etc so far. I've not been out to test the camera much but will have a play around over the weekend. Headphones seem decent, though I've realised that I don't have any USB/wireless headphones so if I lose the bundled pair I'm kinda fùcked.

How are people finding battery life? I'm not blown away yet, but in saying that I didn't have power saving on all the time and I was using it pretty constantly over the last 24 hours. Also it did warn me that Google chrome was draining battery in the background so it corrected that.

What settings have people used on power saver? I don't know the difference between the resolutions etc.

Got mine Thursday afternoon , when I turned it on it was at 51% and I got all my apps and set up the phone the way I wanted it. Charged to 95% @ 7pm and didn't put it back on charge until 11pm last night - it was on 8 or 9% at that stage. That's with the 120hz screen on and a few apps sleeping & deep sleeping too.

Charged it up last night to 94/5% again and used it from this morning with 60hz settings. Doesn't seem that much different battery wise so will probably bump it back up for the experience.

Picked up my Spigen Ultra Hybrid clear case today too - very sleek!!

Very happy so far :D

Edit - mines the Plus model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Devilfish698

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a s20+ at the min?

Got my S20 plus - it certainly looks the part .

I got a clear otterbox symmetry case to go with it . However it is not raised much at the sides to fill me with confidence.

Do ye find that with other cases ?

The Spigen Ultra Hybrid was the other one I looked at - does that offer any more side protection.

• Advertisement

Got a two pack of glass protectors delivered today. Fit perfect with my case and no bubbles or lift etc but they have an eye sore of a circle where the fingerprint sensor is. It's now not working and when I try to add fingerprint it says '' press harder on the screen'' I've disabled the FP for now and using facial unlocking and a pin code. Would rather the peace of mind of a glass protector than using FP anyway and the responsiveness is brilliant. Are there any glass protectors available without the FP style hole?

Advertisement