Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medea - Gate Theatre

• 05-02-2020 12:11pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I haven't been to the theatre for a long time so was very excited to be invited to the opening night of Medea in the Gate last night by a friend.

The two boys who were playing the main parts of Leon and Jasper were great. However I found the play overall a bit...boring. Please note that I was not familiar with the original text/story so maybe some background info would have added texture to it for me.
    No doubt that won't be a popular opinion and I've already seen someone enthusing about it on Facebook this morning but it was dull, boring and inevitable in my opinion. When you know what is going to happen there are no surprises but it's surely still possible to make it engaging. It was engaging at the start but lost something along the way for me.

Comment on storyline:
    I suppose I found it a bit tasteless given the recent tragedy in Newcastle that they were making 'entertainment' out of the same type of situation and it was hard to feel any real connection with what was happening on stage with that in mind. And yes, I know this was in production long before that happened. Unfortunate timing perhaps.

Not one I would recommend to you unless you had a specific desire to see it. Running time was just one hour (no interval).

If anyone else sees it, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I'm going to see it on the 22nd - a relative of mine is in it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Very good, the actors were all great. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:D

Advertisement