Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler needs servicing

Options
  • 05-02-2020 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Just moved into a property that I'm renting. It has a Gas boiler. The boiler has a sticker on it to say it was serviced in January 2017. I'm not sure if it was serviced after this but who pays to get it serviced the landlord or tenant. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Spring Chick

As far as I know it is the landlord's responsibility to ensure that it's serviced regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

It's typically the landlord/landlady's responsibility to arrange and pay for the service. all you should have to do is be there when the engineer comes along to let them in and to do the service. If you incur any costs from the engineer you can generally ask that it be deducted from the rent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Just moved into a property that I'm renting. It has a Gas boiler. The boiler has a sticker on it to say it was serviced in January 2017. I'm not sure if it was serviced after this but who pays to get it serviced the landlord or tenant. Thanks.

As a landlord I’d say it’s the landlords responsibility.
    I arrange servicing for my rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Sound guys. I'll message the landlord and see. Never thought of checking before moving in. I hope it was done and engineer just never put a service sticker on.
    How often should a boiler be serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

Generally it's like everything else that needs to get serviced(Car, Smoke Alarm, etc), usually once a year excluding emergencies.

Just make sure if you are charged for anything to ask for and keep hold of receipts and also take a few photos before and after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

CosmicFool wrote: »
    How often should a boiler be serviced?

Annually- ideally during the summer months when you don't have to wait weeks on end for an appointment...…. Problem with trying to get it serviced at this time of the year- is it takes weeks to get an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I might just wait for a while and then ask during the summer I think. Only moved in last week so dont want to be asking straight away. Sound for the info guys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s also worth noting that if the property gets selected for a private tenancy inspection, they will request a service certificate dated within the last 12 months as part of the compliance.

Advertisement