Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Purchases 2.0 - Mod note in first post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

SozBbz wrote: »
    So I've just treated myself again.

*Let the self justification begin!*

I placed an order with a small independant British label, Kitri. I'd been following them on Insta for a while and they have some bold pieces that I like a lot.

So the first thing is hugely impractical and not remotely appropriate for this time of year but massivly reduced and I couldnt resist.

https://kitristudio.eu/products/olivia-cow-print-faux-fur-coat?_pos=1&_sid=32213443f&_ss=r

I love a good faux fur and I have a few in various lenghts and colours that I've been accumulating over maybe the past 10 years and I wear them all.

https://kitristudio.eu/products/lydia-animal-print-skirt?_pos=1&_sid=9dea373fe&_ss=r

I love skirts like this, so fun with just a plain white T.

Excited for both of these to arrive so I can get a measure of the fit and quality in person, I might go back and buy more.

I got 15% off my order as a first time customer and free shipping.

So my Kitri order arrived today - it looked like a sack of spuds but thankfully the contents were much better!

90% of the bulk was obviously the fur coat, which I'm really pleased with. Its not something I'm gonig to proactively show my OH but when I casually just wear it next winter, I'm sure he'll pass comment. I'd say he'll categorise it as one of my "mad auld wan" outfits but I tend to think if he thinks something is a bit mad, then I'm on the right track.

The skirt isnt exactly what I thought, but on reflection I think I like it. Its a bit more orange than I'd thought (described as mustard) so I'd imagined more yellow/gold tone, but it is really nicely cut and small details like poppers between the buttons so they sit well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I am getting addicted to wearing sweatshirts, but I love them! I ordered this from New Look
    red-mon-cheri-towelling-slogan-sweatshirt.jpg?strip=true&qlt=80&w=720

I also ordered a pair of black jogging bottoms too. I was annoyed after I paid when I saw a pair of khaki cargo trousers that look so lovely and only €25. I wish I'd seen them first. I would have put back the jogging bottoms! Might get them next week, hopefully they are still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

Bought this at the weekend from Wren clothing, got 10% off first order. Some nice dresses on their site, if only I had somewhere to go

6-112358_1800x1800.png?v=1586114886

https://wrenclothing.ie/collections/dresses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I was in depsperate need of a pair of walking runners because my current pair have a hole at the big toe!

While browsing JD sports I noticed they had 20% off for students so I asked my brother for his unidays code and since I was making such a saving I decided to treat myself to the bright pink vans. Delivery is free because its over 70 euro.I think it was 103 for the new pairs with discount. Cant wait for them to arrive.

jd_359276_a?qlt=92&w=750&h=531&v=1&fmt=webp

jd_358081_b?qlt=92&w=750&h=531&v=1&fmt=webp

Last month I ordered from Shein for the first time.I went by measurements and reviews on items rather than the letter size and I'm very happy with everything I've gotten. It's probably pennys quality but I needed some new clothes as I'm in the process of losing weight.Its a long delivery about 18 days but I didn't mind because they updated the tracker regularly.
    Strangely it was delivered by an post (but was marked DHL) on the bank holiday monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

CB17726E-B5BB-4376-B2D4-88A4D98705CB.png. I have some weddings coming up, once lockdown lifts. Sale price expensive but hopefully will get plenty of wear out of it.

• Advertisement

• Daisy78 wrote: »
    CB17726E-B5BB-4376-B2D4-88A4D98705CB.png. I have some weddings coming up, once lockdown lifts. Sale price expensive but hopefully will get plenty of wear out of it.
    That's gorgeous, I bought an Lk Bennett dress and shoes for my brothers wedding, pricey but well worth it.The cut is fabulous on the dresses and they all looked better on than on the hangers,I got 4 big occasion wears from my dress, let us know what it's like when you receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just bought a few bits from Free People on Asos. I always loved the clothes by this brand but the price always put me off buying anything. Has anyone bought clothes from Free People before? Are they good quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Just bought a few bits from Free People on Asos. I always loved the clothes by this brand but the price always put me off buying anything. Has anyone bought clothes from Free People before? Are they good quality?

I always gravitate to their concession stands in department stores in America, and can attest that the quality of the clothing is decent, particularly the organic cotton pieces (price tag aside, you can really tell it’s well spun material - ... well to my uneducated eyes anyhow! - airy and soft yet hard-wearing).

I really love the aesthetic of their clothes, but have never actual bought anything from them either :pac: Zalando stock their brand as well (free delivery and returns ftw!)

Would you mind updating the thread with regards to your impression when your order arrives?

I always gravitate to their concession stands in department stores in America, and can attest that the quality of the clothing is decent, particularly the organic cotton pieces (price tag aside, you can really tell it’s well spun material - ... well to my uneducated eyes anyhow! - airy and soft yet hard-wearing).

I really love the aesthetic of their clothes, but have never actual bought anything from them either :pac: Zalando stock their brand as well (free delivery and returns ftw!)

Would you mind updating the thread with regards to your impression when your order arrives?

Thanks for that, thats good to know. Looking at the order on my emails last night, I couldnt believe how much id spent on a t shirt, I must have read the price wrong or something? but if the quality is good then its worth it. I will post an update when they arrive.
    Ive seen Zalando advertised on facebook a few times, I dont know why but my first impression was that it looks like a dodgy/scam site so didnt bother clicking into it. Have you ordered from them before?

Thanks for that, thats good to know. Looking at the order on my emails last night, I couldnt believe how much id spent on a t shirt, I must have read the price wrong or something? but if the quality is good then its worth it. I will post an update when they arrive.
    Ive seen Zalando advertised on facebook a few times, I dont know why but my first impression was that it looks like a dodgy/scam site so didnt bother clicking into it. Have you ordered from them before?

Ha! Yes, I’ve ordered off zalando a good few times.... I’d say I order off them more than ASOS these days, as I feel they’ve a better selection of more mid-priced to higher end clothing brands compared to ASOS. They stock more European brands and also have regular discount codes and decent sales.

They’re based in Germany and returns are free via An Post Drop-off. Also worth mentioning, is their customer service is first class. I once bought a pair of Nikes off them that dropped in price a few days later. As the runners were en route to me, I couldn’t cancel and re-order. I contacted them and they refunded me the difference between the price I purchased them for and the sale price :)

• Advertisement

This seems like a strange purchase for this time of year, given the fine weather we have generally experienced over the last few weeks (last few days notwithstanding of course)

Fly London Dark Green Chelsea Boots

71xl1m3LJAL._AC_UX695_.jpg

Fly-London-Green-Ankle-Boots-FLYP144496003_2_2000x.jpg?v=1571712624

I never had Chelsea boots with such a dramatically pointed toe box, so not sure what they’ll be like until they arrive. Also, haven’t much idea how I’ll style them.... yet....

I bought them for a bargain price, so fingers crossed I like them as I looked them up elsewhere and they appear to retail for €155!

Ha! Yes, I’ve ordered off zalando a good few times.... I’d say I order off them more than ASOS these days, as I feel they’ve a better selection of more mid-priced to higher end clothing brands compared to ASOS. They stock more European brands and also have regular discount codes and decent sales.

They’re based in Germany and returns are free via An Post Drop-off. Also worth mentioning, is their customer service is first class. I once bought a pair of Nikes off them that dropped in price a few days later. As the runners were en route to me, I couldn’t cancel and re-order. I contacted them and they refunded me the difference between the price I purchased them for and the sale price :)

Wow that is amazing, Ill check them out, thanks.

This seems like a strange purchase for this time of year, given the fine weather we have generally experienced over the last few weeks (last few days notwithstanding of course)

Fly London Dark Green Chelsea Boots

71xl1m3LJAL._AC_UX695_.jpg

Fly-London-Green-Ankle-Boots-FLYP144496003_2_2000x.jpg?v=1571712624

I never had Chelsea boots with such a dramatically pointed toe box, so not sure what they’ll be like until they arrive. Also, haven’t much idea how I’ll style them.... yet....

I bought them for a bargain price, so fingers crossed I like them as I looked them up elsewhere and they appear to retail for €155!

WHere did you buy yours from? I've heard good things about the brand.

I think if you can get a good price on boots you like at any time of year its never the worst idea, especially chelsea boots which can be styled kinda boho with summer dresses etc.

I bought a pair which I though was going to be a great purchase from Superdry back in the beginning of lockdown, but unfortunatly they turned out to be a very different colour than they looked on the website. They were described as "Mocha" but they were definitely Tan, so I returned them. But they were lovely otherwise, I just already have a similar paid in a tan colour, but if the colour had been right I'd definitely have kept them and worked them into my summer wardrobe and winter wardrobe.

Zalando are like the German version of Asos, they're huge and totally legit.

Zalando are like the German version of Asos, they're huge and totally legit.

Thanks, yes I had a look at the website after posting on this thread, they are legit. I ended up spending another 100 euro on clothes :(

WHere did you buy yours from? I've heard good things about the brand.

I think if you can get a good price on boots you like at any time of year its never the worst idea, especially chelsea boots which can be styled kinda boho with summer dresses etc.

I bought a pair which I though was going to be a great purchase from Superdry back in the beginning of lockdown, but unfortunatly they turned out to be a very different colour than they looked on the website. They were described as "Mocha" but they were definitely Tan, so I returned them. But they were lovely otherwise, I just already have a similar paid in a tan colour, but if the colour had been right I'd definitely have kept them and worked them into my summer wardrobe and winter wardrobe.

I bought them from amazon of all places. Think they worked out at around 25 euro when I bought them....! Which is quite the bargain :D

However, I now see they have gone back up in price :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Bought a Barneys leather jackpot off ASOS.

Was €400.93.....I got it for €83!!!! Ordered lasr week...it was down to €104 then they had a 20percent off when I purchased.

I went up a size from my norm... Fits perfect. Been looking out for a good leather jacket for over a year. The search is complete.

https://www.asos.com/barneys-originals/barneys-originals-leather-biker-jacket/prd/10990382?ctaref=recently+viewed

Apologies if link doesn't work I'm using my phone

LilacNails wrote: »
    Bought a Barneys leather jackpot off ASOS.

Was €400.93.....I got it for €83!!!! Ordered lasr week...it was down to €104 then they had a 20percent off when I purchased.

I went up a size from my norm... Fits perfect. Been looking out for a good leather jacket for over a year. The search is complete.

https://www.asos.com/barneys-originals/barneys-originals-leather-biker-jacket/prd/10990382?ctaref=recently+viewed

Apologies if link doesn't work I'm using my phone

Thats fab. How sick would you be if you bought it full price before the sale. Price drops like this always make me wonder why theyre so expensive in the first place, theyre obviously still making a profit off it when its cheaper. How do they come up with these prices?

Thats fab. How sick would you be if you bought it full price before the sale. Price drops like this always make me wonder why theyre so expensive in the first place, theyre obviously still making a profit off it when its cheaper. How do they come up with these prices?

My thoughts also. Makes u think twice before purchasing something that's so dear, so much of it just goes into 1 greedy persons pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My thoughts also. Makes u think twice before purchasing something that's so dear, so much of it just goes into 1 greedy persons pocket.

Obviously not enough to keep them out of bankruptcy. While it's great to get a bargain your bargain is a consequence of a whole lot of people loosing their job. Top end fashion is earning huge profits and bottom end fashion is earning huge profits. It's not mid price items made to a certain quality that make huge profit, it's the Pennys and Zaras of this world who pocket the most.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Obviously not enough to keep them out of bankruptcy. While it's great to get a bargain your bargain is a consequence of a whole lot of people loosing their job. Top end fashion is earning huge profits and bottom end fashion is earning huge profits. It's not mid price items made to a certain quality that make huge profit, it's the Pennys and Zaras of this world who pocket the most.

Perhaps if higher fashion brands weren't so expensive, they wouldn't be bankrupt or people wouldn't loose their jobs in the first place.

Me and anyone else who works hard for their money are entitled to purchase a bargain or whatever they want.

I'm conscious of where I spend my money and on what. Your targeting the wrong person here. I don't spend my wages thoughtlessly in Penny's and the likes.

The option was there to take the bargain, and I took it, with no regrets. Lighten up a bit.

Perhaps if higher fashion brands weren't so expensive, they wouldn't be bankrupt or people wouldn't loose their jobs in the first place.

Me and anyone else who works hard for their money are entitled to purchase a bargain or whatever they want.

I'm conscious of where I spend my money and on what. Your targeting the wrong person here. I don't spend my wages thoughtlessly in Penny's and the likes.

The option was there to take the bargain, and I took it, with no regrets. Lighten up a bit.

TBH, I think you need to lighten up a bit. She wasnt attacking you.

The point that a real leather jacket available at that price is symptomatic of something having gone badly wrong is correct. Businesses have overheads and leather is expensive so it shouldnt really be possible to buy real leather at that price.

Personally I've no issue with anyone buying them, at that point the company would have already gone to the wall - so it doesnt matter if their stock gets sold off cheaply or not, the jobs etc are already lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I did not say that you are not entitled or that it's in any way wrong. However the full price for that jacket is not overly excessive and nowhere near the high end prices (it's a price you would expect to pay in Uterque, Arket or COS and a bit more than Massimo Dutti). There is labor, material and other cost that has to be paid and prices of the stock sold off after bankruptcy don't necessarily reflect the cost of production.

I got a pretty good deal that I'm delighted with, I posted here and get told that because of that, people are loosing their jobs and it's the cause of bankruptcy. I mean, I was only delighted with myself and wasn't expecting that kind of comment. Let me show off what I bought and not try make me feel guilty....?

Most of the posts here are, of posters showing off what we have bought... Because we want to, not to get some sh*te over it.

Start a separate thread if ye want a debate , this is a fun and enjoyable thread to follow.

I got a pretty good deal that I'm delighted with, I posted here and get told that because of that, people are loosing their jobs and it's the cause of bankruptcy. I mean, I was only delighted with myself and wasn't expecting that kind of comment. Let me show off what I bought and not try make me feel guilty....?

Most of the posts here are, of posters showing off what we have bought... Because we want to, not to get some sh*te over it.

Start a separate thread if ye want a debate , this is a fun and enjoyable thread to follow.

Again - you didnt get ****e over it. It was pointed out to you that at that price, there was a story behind it. Its not economically viable to make leather jackets and sell them that cheaply.

You made some comment about how high end brands should just be cheaper if they don't want to go bankrupt, which is just nonsense by the way. On the back of that comment, its perfectly rational to point out that a leather jacket for €80 is not normal.

If you want to infer more judgement beyond that, its up to you, but I think the points made have been clear.

FYI - ASOS must have bought all of Barneys stock of leather jackets. They've been selling them off cheaply since at least Feb - someone bought one on the predicessor to this thread. Full disclosure - I bought one, paid in £, and got a further 20% and it worked out at £47. I know that buying a leather jacket for that price, something has gone wrong somewhere, but I can see the difference between knowing that and also knowing that if I didnt buy it someone else would.

Got an ASOS order yesterday on the back of one of their 20% offers.

Bought 2 summer dresses.

https://www.asos.com/topshop/topshop-wrap-mini-dress-in-red-floral-print/prd/20269514?ctaRef=my%20orders

and

https://www.asos.com/other-stories/other-stories-ditsy-floral-print-mini-swing-dress-in-green/prd/20495129?ctaRef=my%20orders

Both really nice and flattering on, especially the Topshop one. I possibly could have sized down with the Stories dress but it has a tie waist so I don't think i'll bother reurning it as I'd have to pay full price now as the 20% offer isnt on currently.

I also had 2 jumpers from Anthropology arrive,

https://www.anthropologie.com/en-gb/shop/sasha-hacci-top?utm_source=transact&utm_campaign=order_confirmation&utm_medium=email&utm_content=product-img&color=011&type=REGULAR&quantity=1

and

https://www.anthropologie.com/en-gb/shop/emily-puff-sleeved-jumper117?utm_source=transact&utm_campaign=order_confirmation&utm_medium=email&utm_content=product-img&color=035&type=REGULAR&quantity=1

Also keeping both - nice lightweight summer jumpers. You need jumpers year round in Ireland, even on the nicest days the evenings can be chilly. Especially happy with the green one as I've no jumpers in that colour. The cream one is nice, light, very versatile. I've clearly plenty in that colour but probably nothing that light so I know i'll get wear out of it.

I think everyone thinks that the Barneys’ leather jackets on ASOS are ex-stock from Barneys Dept stores in states - I’m sorry to say, but they’re not.

They’re actually from a company called Barneys Originals in Manchester. The jackets never sold for the original stated rrp - that is a tactic employed by the brand. They inflate the price to give the consumer the feeling that they got a good deal, when in fact they are paying the original and actual price the item retails for. (For example, I think this may be your jacket or similar, lilac nails, link).

I’ve seen their jackets for sale in TK Maxx. Their jackets appear to be made from decent enough leather, but most definitely not high end.

When I first came across this brand a few years ago, I actually thought it was ex-stock from the Barneys Dept store that had ended up in outlet stores. However, when I did some research I realised it was from a UK based company.

Nevertheless, I’m cant say I’m a big fan of clothing companies that fabricate RRP prices. That gives me an unfavourable viewpoint of the company. I feel they’re trying to trick consumers into thinking they got a deal.... That’s my 2 cents anyways.

Regardless of the above, it’s a lovely jacket Lilac Nails - leather jackets are a great purchase that look effortless and cool. I hope you get great wear out of it:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

This has obviously strayed wildly off the topic, intention & spirit of the thread. The economics of a product are not up for discussion in this thread. As always, please feel free to start other discussions in a new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Advertisement