Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250euro to replace drivetrain on boardman hybrid

Options
  • 05-02-2020 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

Got a price of 250euro to replace 2 front rings....chain.... (labour price also included)
    I think they are replacing the casette as well..
    It's a boardman hybrid bike that i bought 4 years ago that i used for cycling to work every day.
    I got the drivetrain replaced 2 years ago...

Does that seem expensive?

They are also quoting an extra 80 euros to get the hubs replaced.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what groupset is currently on it (or what is the model of the bike?)
    that does seem very steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is that price from Halfords? Chain rings x 2 and a cassette and chain would probably cost around €80-€100 to buy from an online seller like CRC or Wiggle and then add labour on top of that. Id say €150-160 would be closer to the price from a non franchised shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I got drivetrain replaced on my 10yr old hybrid for 150 a few years ago in Bolton Cycles - just basic stuff he put on.

you must be putting in serious mileage if this is the second time replacing rings on a 4yr old bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

thebourke wrote: »

What wheels are on it? Would you be better off paying a bit extra and just getting new wheels instead of hubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

they recommend i get the hubs replaced..they never mentioned the wheels (can't remember the make of the wheels as the bike is still at the bike shop)..
    bike is a boardman hybrid comp bike..
    i checked, i got the drivetrain replaced nearly 2.5 years ago...i reckon i am cycling about 50kms a week for commuting to work...so roughly nearly 2000kms a year...have the bike 4 years...
    groupset is cheapr from what i remember..i will check when i have the bike back..think i will take it to another bike shop and get a quote..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you take a photo of the chainrings and post it here?
    do you use both chainrings or just usually stick to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

they recommend i get the hubs replaced..they never mentioned the wheels (can't remember the make of the wheels as the bike is still at the bike shop)..
    bike is a boardman hybrid comp bike..
    i checked, i got the drivetrain replaced nearly 2.5 years ago...i reckon i am cycling about 50kms a week for commuting to work...so roughly nearly 2000kms a year...have the bike 4 years...
    groupset is cheapr from what i remember..i will check when i have the bike back..think i will take it to another bike shop and get a quote..

That's nuts in fairness, no way can you need another new drivetrain after 2.5 years of doing 2k kms per year even if you're desperate Dan himself. Is it a different shop to the one you got it done last time and what makes them say you need all new parts? Remove bike from that establishment as sounds like they're trying to gouge you in typical Irish fashion.

For context I do 7k km per year commuting and change my chain every spring with cassette every 3 years or so and even then it's generally only the smaller rings that are worn. I've only ever changed the smaller front ring after about 50k kms clocked on the bike after a new chain wasn't sitting right and starting to skip.

no i stick to the large chainring..use the small ring very rare.

same bike shop i went to the last time,i got the drivetrain done...on the phone today they told me i need to replace both rings...
    i can see myself that the chain is not sitting on the big ring ...it keeps slipping when i am cycling...i will post photos when i get the bike back this weekend...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To me, it sounds like the only thing that definitely needs changing is where you get your bike serviced!

• Advertisement

if it's slipping on the big ring, i suspect the chain is badly worn and possibly the rings too. you might not need to change the small ring, but if they're assuming that the chain is badly enough worn to do that on the big ring, they may as well change it, the big ring, cassette, and the small ring makes sense to do while they're at it.

do you lube your chain at all?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Post a pic of the cassette, rings as everything else is guesswork until we see it. It sounds steep enough on the basis I presume it isn't the high end stuff. Chain, one ring and a cassette, 150euro at most.

Sounds like they are taking you for a ride. Did you even question why they are replacing the smaller ring if it doesn't even get used much?
    What's the name of the place you are getting it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

I have just in the last week replaced a big ring, a cassette , chain and rere brake pads. The big ring is ultegra, Shimano HG chain, 105 cassette.
    Total cost was €165 inc labour. Admittedly the chain ring was a slightly scuffed new one which was reduced to €75.00.
    Work was done in CSS
    This bike was used from Sept 17 to end April 19, and then from Sept 19 to now. I stupidly did not pay attention to the stretching of the chain which caused a lot of damage to chain drive. It was always cleaned and lubed weekly, lesson learned .....chains are cheap to replace.

Price sounds well wide of the mark for sure, wonder what the maintenance was like on the OP's side and if the bike was stored or locked up outside all year?

Mileage sounds very low for the need for those replacements otherwise.

yes i lube the chain..place is cycle super store...

i keep the bike indoors all the time...clean the bike every 2 months etc...chain is cleaned ..lubed once a month....

Got a price of 250euro to replace 2 front rings....chain.... (labour price also included)
    I think they are replacing the casette as well..
    It's a boardman hybrid bike that i bought 4 years ago that i used for cycling to work every day.
    I got the drivetrain replaced 2 years ago...

Does that seem expensive?

secman wrote: »
    I have just in the last week replaced a big ring, a cassette , chain and rere brake pads. The big ring is ultegra, Shimano HG chain, 105 cassette.
    Total cost was €165 inc labour. Admittedly the chain ring was a slightly scuffed new one which was reduced to €75.00.
    Work was done in CSS
    This bike was used from Sept 17 to end April 19, and then from Sept 19 to now. I stupidly did not pay attention to the stretching of the chain which caused a lot of damage to chain drive. It was always cleaned and lubed weekly, lesson learned .....chains are cheap to replace.

Comparing the two,
    1 chainring, chain and cassette for €165
    2 chainrings, chain and cassette for €250

The top one is with decent mid to high end parts, no reason to think the bottom is any different. Are you sure there are not any other works going on, cables replaced, overall service etc.? Like I said, it sounds expensive but someone else seems to have gotten a similar service for cheaper. 2nd chainring and fitting at the same time should add on €50 if it is the smaller one and done at the same time. I just can't help but feel there might be something else you have missed. Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

If you only use the big ring do you not cross chain the sh88 out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I'm a cycle technician and it sounds like the components are not being cleaned and stripped of lube before reapplying, which would wear it all down within 2000km especially if the chain isn't replaced before then. 250 sounds like a mid range groupset and labour to me. Depends what you're after though.

• Advertisement

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I'm a cycle technician and it sounds like the components are not being cleaned and stripped of lube before reapplying, which would wear it all down within 2000km especially if the chain isn't replaced before then. 250 sounds like a mid range groupset and labour to me. Depends what you're after though.

I could be wrong but considering it is a Boardman Hybrid, is it not more likely to be a low end groupset. Even picking out a decent but old midrange groupset (105 / Tiagra 10 speed), 2 chainrings would be €50, cassette for €30 , chain would be €20. €50 for labour (there isn't much more than 20minutes work there). Anything over €200 seems excessive, which makes me think there is more there, probably a general service, clean, oil/grease, check over pads and cables etc. Then €250 starts to make a bit more sense.

Yes, you can see a mix of stuff on their bikes at that end, like Shimano shifters then Prowheel or FSA mixed in with the rest. Usually Tektro breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

If you drive train needs replacing you are doing something wrong.

I've attached photo of crank on my current cx bike. It's the 3rd bike that crank has been on and has over 50k km on it. The inner ring, a 34, is original and the outer(which I removed for a 42) is still in very good shape.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=479177&d=1556719384

As you can see I'm not very fussy about cleanliness.

I am fussy about good quality lube and removing a chain once it starts to stretch.

Do a few things
    *use a good quality lube
    * once a month doesn't cut it, way more frequent lubing particularly in wet weather
    * fit a front mudguard with a flap
    * Learn to fit a new chain.

Don't do any and keep paying 200 odd every 2 years for a new drivetrain. For a cost of transport its a small cost when you add up all the other saving and benefits.

Left field suggestion, but a fixed gear bike for 200, treat it like sh1te and marvel and it's low maintenance!

i got the bike back on saturday..here is the quote

they were going to replace both rings,cassette,jockey wheels,chain

breakdown
    65euro for labour (25euro to fit chain/cassette,25euro to fit chain rings,15euro to fit the jockey wheels)

SRAM 9 speed chain - 17.10euro
    cost of large chainring (50T) 65.20euro
    cost of small chainring (34T) 48.60euro
    SRAM pg950 9 speed cassette 45.60euro
    jockey wheels - 9.78euro

see complete invoice attached...
    all in 250euro

that cassette is approx half that price on CRC, and two thirds that price in halfords.

my LBS charged me €15 for changing a BB, so i would find a €25 charge of changing a cassette and chain hard to swallow.

I got both front rings, complete with cranks, for €56 in 2017. 10 speed rear cassette was €21. Both Shimano Tiagra.
    Their pricing seems steep.

still no photos of the chainrings, btw. possibly just a worn chain and cassette; chainrings take longer to wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is that price from Halfords? Chain rings x 2 and a cassette and chain would probably cost around €80-€100 to buy from an online seller like CRC or Wiggle and then add labour on top of that. Id say €150-160 would be closer to the price from a non franchised shop.

20-30 minute job.

To play the devils advocate, I know from friends who ran bike shops, that you can buy parts in cheaper from CRC than you get them from the distributor. Its a bit like my local pub where the publican used to buy a few bottles of spirits from Tesco for the Christmas drinks as it was cheaper than buying from his distributor as well.

So:

Chain, cassette, jockey wheels seem fair. Labour is up there but not extortionate IMO, some will disagree, a good mechanic could have gotten them done for half that but maybe they were a PITA to take off. Where you got bent over a barrel were the chainrings, I just can't see any situation where they cost that much. Considering one appears to be BBB but even if they were Shimano or similar, minimum 10 to much for the large and 20 to much for the small and that is being grossly top of the scale with what they should be.

IMO you got ripped for €40 or maybe €50 but without seeing the bike or parts, I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Your cassette isn't worn at all, I mean it is filthy but it is unworn.

Advertisement