Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250euro to replace drivetrain on boardman hybrid

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

photos of chainrings attached
    chainring is FSA 110mm BCD 50/34T
    cassette is shimano hg32T
    sram x5 rear derailleur

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chainring are really worn, cassette looks like the large cogs have wear but nothing major. Your chain and rings are worn crazy though (see the way it doesn't sit right at the top). Mine don't look that worn after 10k+ km, your getting it at 4000km suggest something else is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

To me it looks like you took those photos just after cycling on roads that have been gritted/salted? That stuff eats thru chains/ cassettes/chainrings and will certainly drastically reduce the life of your components. €250 still sounds very expensive! Are they also changing cables and carrying out a service on the bike as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I'm a cycle technician and it sounds like the components are not being cleaned and stripped of lube before reapplying, which would wear it all down within 2000km especially if the chain isn't replaced before then. 250 sounds like a mid range groupset and labour to me. Depends what you're after though.

Probably crossing the chain a lot as well if letting it in the big ring

No I cycle in the big ring 95% of the time..roughly cycling 50km a week...i basically cycle the grand canal in dublin from inchicore to parkwest for work .so its not gritted...

no full service carried out on bike....no changing of cables...
    although i did get my break pads/inner and outer brake cable replaced recently in that same shop for 110 which i thought was a bit expensive at the time

i went back about a week later and asked them could they have a look at the drive train etc...thats when i got this quote

So all in
    110euro for brakes (this is done already)
    250euro for drivetrain etc
    80 euro (replacement of hubs they recommended)

so total price would 440euro ...
    nearly worth it to get a new bike instead??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    Chainring are really worn, cassette looks like the large cogs have wear but nothing major.
    It wouldn't be that unusual to suggest changing cassette when changing chain/ chain ring though would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be that unusual to suggest changing cassette when changing chain/ chain ring though would it?

I suspect they took one look at that chainring and quoted for everything.

anyone recommend a good bike repair shop in dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which side of dublin?

city centre...south side....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Break pads and cable for 110! That's a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I suggest you learn to maintain the bike more regularly. A weekly wash and a regular degrease and lube will save you an awful lot of money on the long run ... lack of maintenance has made bits of the drivetrain which should last a lot longer than that.

Also a chain wear tool will help you know when to replace the chain and save needing the rest replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bendip

I suggest you learn to maintain the bike more regularly. A weekly wash and a regular degrease and lube will save you an awful lot of money on the long run ... lack of maintenance has made bits of the drivetrain which should last a lot longer than that.

Also a chain wear tool will help you know when to replace the chain and save needing the rest replaced[/QUOTE

i'm guilty of this, my team hybrid (9 yrs old) is the bike i rely on most (daily commuter) yet i don't clean it regularly and fix it when busted (no real ongoing maintenance), curious sort of self sabotage i'm hooked into..the road bikes get all my attention and pocket money !!

Advertisement