Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10K to Marathon

• 05-02-2020 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

I just wondering is now to October enough time to go from 10k to doing a Marathon in under 4 hours ?

I applied for the Marathon lotto and didn't get it but might on the second round, Im just wondering is now till October enough to get a decent Marathon time say 3:45 or would I be best leaving it and doing it next year with a year of running under my belt ?

Currently im doing 10k in about 50 minutes and only started just running about 5 weeks ago , Iv always kept myself fit enough from different sports but never just RAN if you get me , 10 k is the furthers iv tried so far ,

Im running 3 times a week, two 5k's and a 10k at the weekends
    I'm very tired at the end of the 10 k and push myself to get in around 50 minute mark

Just wondering do you think iv enough time till October to do a decent time without killing myself training ,I can't really commit to more than 3 days of running a week ?

Any opinion would be great , ,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I did my first marathon 4 months after lacing up my runners for the first time, trained by running just once a week and finished in 4:06, so you would be well ahead of me in that respect and it's definitely possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Personally went from no running at all to the Cork city marathon in 7 months after a friend convinced me it would be a good idea to enter. Haven't look back since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thanks for the replies so it's do able,
    I should ask what age where you guys when you done it, I'm closer to 40 than I am 35,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It was a long time ago :) but i was 34 when I started running. You're fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Was just over 40 myself when I started training for that marathon, still remember finding some plan online (maybe runireland) & following it religiously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ooter

have you ever ran a 10k race OP and if so what was your time?
    I was 40 when I trained for my first marathon in the june and at that point the furthest I had ever run was 10k and would've been just ticking over doing 15-20 miles a week, 3 runs a week.
    you have plenty of time to go sub 4 hour but to be honest you'd really want to be getting out minimum 4 days a week from june/july onwards.
    best of luck with it, hopefully you get an entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Personally i wouldn't worry about finish time yet... you're a long way from that stage yet!

If you keep your eye out here a novice thread usually starts up in late May/early June which could really benefit you.

Advertisement