Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing and recommendations for dry lining insulation

Options
  • 05-02-2020 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am in the process of purchasing an old 1890's red brick 65m2 end-of-terraced house. Surveyor has been in and highlighted Raising Damp and Insulation as the big issues to fix. I have somebody already for the raising damp, he is doing an assessment and has already provided a quote which i am happy with.

I want to get the dry lining insulation done at the same time, as from what i know the first four feet of plaster will be removed to treat the rising damp, and the plaster will be removed to add the insulation anyway. So two birds one stone.

The surveyor has said; "External walls to this house composed of 9" thick brick construction with solid internal wall plastering. This gives very poor heat insulation with extensive heat loss presently occurring through the external walls of this house. I therefore recommend that the internal face of all external walls throughout this house be covered with a 72.5mm thick Kingspan insulation backed plasterboard having a plaster skim finish to give the external walls of this house a heat insulation factor comparable with current heat Insulation Standards. Approx. Cost € 3,500.00."

The cost of the raising damp treatment was in line with what the surveyor quoted but i want to check insulation.

Also does anybody know any good companies for inner city Dublin that do this? :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Research ‘interstitial condensation in external walls’.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Riki_road

BryanF wrote: »
    Research ‘interstitial condensation in external walls’.

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for that, its something that has been on the back of my mind but i didnt want to lose the red brick external.. i plan to get the bricks repointed and looking like new in a year or two :)

If the internal dry lining is done correctly the risk of condensation and mold etc is gone isnt it? I could get the external done but would hate to lose the red brick features

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I'd be very wary of what is proposed.

Research "Joseph Little - breaking the mould".

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Riki_road wrote: »
    Hey Bryan,

Thanks for that, its something that has been on the back of my mind but i didnt want to lose the red brick external.. i plan to get the bricks repointed and looking like new in a year or two :)

If the internal dry lining is done correctly the risk of condensation and mold etc is gone isnt it? I could get the external done but would hate to lose the red brick features

Both in my day job and as a DIYer I’ve seem the challenges to retro-fitting a Vapour barrier or using foil-backed boards to eliminate the condensation risk. The junctions are the challenge.

But The number of people on here going this route.. I just hope they ventilate their houses enough.

Advertisement