Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Paschal Donohoe be made leader of FG?

Options
  • 05-02-2020 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Michael Noonan seems to think so.

Paschal Noonan for leader of Fine Gael? 26 votes

I'm in
    88% 23 votes
    I'm out
    11% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Sorry, I typed Paschal Noonan there; my apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No, I do be scarleh for him with that voice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Too hardline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

He would rule with an iron lisp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Moved to CA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In fairness it was a podcast interview with both of them present and the question was put to him, he didn't raised the issue. And he said be had huge confidence in Paschal Donohoe and said he is in "no doubt" about his leadership potential. Pascal was a protegee of Michael's and in the situation he could hardly say anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Coveney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Both FF and FG should join up because both parties are becoming stagnant as they are now. Fianna Gael or Fine Fail. The civil war was 100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Coveney.
    Si-Co (Psycho) as he's commonly know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Doesn't have the steel. In fact, I'd say Paschal is an all-round good guy in his personal life and probably quite pleasant to be around. You need to have a bit of dog in you to be Taoiseach or potential Taoiseach, and pleasant Paschal doesn't have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Noonan kicked off the leadership race as a last **** you to Leo as he left. I see Pascal has denied it today presumably on the basis that he won't get it if he is the one who brings down Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Coveney comes across better than any of them.
    Don’t know if there’s much substance to any of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

All of the current fg tds are a joke. They want to get back on track. They need a leader who will make decisions and unpopular choices. They opposite of varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A strange case of a politician who was successful before he entered politics

A TD´s salary sure is higher than a teacher or auctioneer or many publicans so they are stepping up big time.

Donohue was a director in Proctor & Gamble and gave it up to move to Dublin and try to get on Dublin City Council. Was a mad decision tbh with a young family! :confused:

Even today his ministers salary is lower than what P&G would pay him. Can't throw the greedy tag here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I could be wrong but I thought Donoghue decided he didn't want to be included at the leadership vote last time out.

Coveney for me anyway IF there is a leadership vote. Noonan is retiring so he should keep his gob shut. But I suppose he is entitled to speak. But sounds odd to me at this stage of the game.

I get a feeling there is something afoot. But honestly people like Noonan are trying to undermine Vlad for some reason or other. But hey that's politics. Noonan is on a mission here but he should just back off and see what happens.

Who the heck would be enticed into politics these days anyway with all the night of the long knives, backstabbing, undermining the TS, and being kind of afraid of the Opposition. Mad times.

Very brave souls the lot of them in the era of SM anyway. I'm sitting by the fire now, with the doorbell disconnected. Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I like Simon Coveney. Good head on his shoulders. Seems a solid individual. Not the most inspiring of gods creatures. But I think he is sincere. Just can’t warm to Varadkar. His appointment smacked of the leadership just going back to Dublin rather than on the basis of the best candidate. I expect Michael Martin to be our next Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

What was Noonan doing even raising a leadership issue during a General Election?
    It's not exactly a vote of confidence in the present leader

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Edgware wrote: »
    What was Noonan doing even raising a leadership issue during a General Election?

**Looks at the last 3 weeks polling trends**

You answered your own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

119566c9-7f51-4a2f-882c-7224bcc4f3fd.jpg?h=375&resize=fit&w=250 I knew Donohoe reminded me of someone! look, if / when varadkar gets the chop, forget Donohoe, he couldnt lead the boyscouts! you could take coveney, but have they not got anyone, never mind good, but half bloody decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Edgware wrote: »

Vicious old k***, should have bleed beaten up and down the country for what he did to Bridget mc Cole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yes, he's just awful. :)

Edit: pascal.

Advertisement