Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training a two year old sheep dog

• 05-02-2020 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Have two year old sheep dog, she is very interested in sheep, she goes around behind them, but rather than bringing them forward, she circles them all or circles some of them. In the past I trained all my young dogs with their mothers, but this one is not out of my own sheep dog. She is very strong headed and slow to respond to commands, I have to shout constantly or she will do her own thing. Any tips on training her?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Have two year old sheep dog, she is very interested in sheep, she goes around behind them, but rather than bringing them forward, she circles them all or circles some of them. In the past I trained all my young dogs with their mothers, but this one is not out of my own sheep dog. She is very strong headed and slow to respond to commands, I have to shout constantly or she will do her own thing. Any tips on training her?

I had a dog doing the same, he was less than a year old, I've a paddock about 20 ft wide by 50yds long and trained him in that with about 6 ewes, I'd stand in front of the sheep and send him back to the back of the sheep everytime he came forward.
    I'd have to wave a stick at him at the start to get him back around the sheep and it took a long time to convince him to stay behind the ewes, but eventually he got the idea, it takes a lot of work to train a keen dog.
    Eventually the sheep were trained as well, Some trainers puts a front paw into the collar to slow them down so they're running on three legs or even pulling a twenty foot rope slows them and makes them easy caught by standing on the rope

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭countyhouse

Thank very much, I will have to persevere and try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

How's the sit and stop commands

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭countyhouse

148multi wrote: »
    How's the sit and stop commands

They are good, but she is a bit too friendly with the texel lambs I have. She would be better with horned sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyonea any idea how to stop a 1.5 yr old sheepdog grabbing/biting at sheep when working and also to stop biting at tyres of cars, quad and tractor, the outcome of the latter will be a seriously injured or worse a dead dog if it cant be stopped from doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyonea any idea how to stop a 1.5 yr old sheepdog grabbing/biting at sheep when working and also to stop biting at tyres of cars, quad and tractor, the outcome of the latter will be a seriously injured or worse a dead dog if it cant be stopped from doing this.

If you muzzle him when he's out he'll probably lose interest after a while,
    also give him a slap anytime he does it when you're near him.

DJ98 wrote: »

Pm sent

They are good, but she is a bit too friendly with the texel lambs I have. She would be better with horned sheep

When you say friendly?

Advertisement