Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration and the housing crisis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

alastair wrote: »
    Yeaaah - again - nonsense. Irish isn’t ‘anyone’. It’s those who hold Irish citizenship. Regardless of any other criteria. It’s the sole meaningful criteria for determining their Irishness.

Its your sole meaningful criteria. Many, many people would disagree with you. But like a true ideological extremist you can't countenance the perceptions and beliefs of others and see your own ideology as the only truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Would that mean you'd refuse to call, or refer to, a black person from the US an "African American"?

There are plenty of people in the US without Irish citizenship, who maybe just haven't claimed it but might be entitled to it, who call themselves "Irish".

I am sure you would quickly poo-poo the latter. So I included he former too in case it confuses your wokeness

If you’re entitled to Irish citizenship, then you’re entitled to be considered Irish.
    African Americans aren’t African - so I’m not sure what your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Why have Irish people got the highest incidence of CF in the world? Genetics, IRISH GENETICS.

But to what degree? Isn't there a fair number, that a country our size can accommodate?

It seems that some people (and our Taoiseach is one of them), think we should accommodate as many as we can squeeze into the country! Little or no consideration given, to how that might impact the social fabric of our small Island. And our infrastructure is already stretched to near breaking point, with the population we currently have!

It's nice to be charitable... but pretty soon, we might be needing charity ourselves if we can't look after our own people!

There are a 1.5 million odd Syrian refugees in Lebanon, a country half the size of Leinster. Is that ‘fair’ or is it an international responsibility? Asylum isn’t charity.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Why have Irish people got the highest incidence of CF in the world? Genetics, IRISH GENETICS.

Cystic Fibrosis isn’t any sort of benchmark for Irishness. Wise up.

• Advertisement

Its a genetic trait, but in your world genetics dont exist, wise up, haha get over yourself, you lose every argument on here.

Its your sole meaningful criteria. Many, many people would disagree with you. But like a true ideological extremist you can't countenance the perceptions and beliefs of others and see your own ideology as the only truth.

Nah - the ideological extremism is pretending that a national identity is framed by DNA. That’s got the bonus of being patently idiotic into the bargain.

Its a genetic trait, but in your world genetics dont exist, wise up, haha get over yourself, you lose every argument on here.

Nope. Nobody denied genetics. They just form no part in determining nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Yeaaah - again - nonsense. Irish isn’t ‘anyone’. It’s those who hold Irish citizenship. Regardless of any other criteria. It’s the sole meaningful criteria for determining their Irishness.

Pity that well known fraudster Padraig Pearse doesn’t qualify for being Irish on account of his ‘Foreign’ DNA, eh?

Your disdain for ethnic Irish people seems second to none.

Criticizing them at any given opportunity,

The Marxist brainwashing has worked a treat on you.

Nope. Nobody denied genetics. They just form no part in determining nationality.

Argue all you want i have all day to laugh at your posts, you are quite simply wrong. What are Jamaicans famous for sprinting- part of jamaican identity, good at sprinting because of west african genetics.

• Advertisement

Your disdain for ethnic Irish people seems second to none.

Criticizing them at any given opportunity,

The Marxist brainwashing has worked a treat on you.

Avoiding the awkward Pearse issue all the same. Noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you’re entitled to Irish citizenship, then you’re entitled to be considered Irish.
    African Americans aren’t African - so I’m not sure what your point is?

You were "poo-poohing" the notion of any form of connection between heritage and identity.

I think an Irish-American is entitled to identify as Irish if they want to. Even if they don't have a passport.

You appear to purport that the sole criteria for identify as Irish is possession of a passport. How you feel about those with dual citizenship is unclear. Perhaps a kind of "citizenship Schrodinger's cat"?

Argue all you want i have all day to laugh at your posts, you are quite simply wrong. What are Jamaicans famous for sprinting- part of jamaican identity, good at sprinting because of west african genetics.

Sprinting ability is also not a benchmark for being a a Jamaican. Most Jamaicans can sprint no better than you or I.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/14/ethnicity-is-not-something-dictated-by-peoples-genes

You were "poo-poohing" the notion of any form of connection between heritage and identity.

I think an Irish-American is entitled to identify as Irish if they want to. Even if they don't have a passport.

You appear to purport that the sole criteria for identify as Irish is possession of a passport. How you feel about those with dual citizenship is unclear. Perhaps a kind of "citizenship Schrodinger's cat"?

Dual nationality isn’t any sort of conundrum. Not sure why you would imagine it is. It simply proves the point that you can’t pigeonhole identity into ‘blood’.

No. Don't be silly. It is because they have Irish passports apparently.......maybe we should get onto the passport office to have them check whether there is anything in the material they use to make them

No. Don't be silly. It is because they have Irish passports apparently.......maybe we should get onto the passport office to have them check whether there is anything in the material they use to make them

I take it you have CF then? Otherwise you’re clearly not Irish?

You obviously have no clue about how genetics work if you think you are being smart asking that.

You obviously have no clue about how genetics work if you think you are being smart asking that.

There’s nothing but idiocy wrapped around the introduction of CF into the issue of national identity. Nothing. Rubbish in, rubbish out.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/14/ethnicity-is-not-something-dictated-by-peoples-genes

Im off,cant argue with somebody who cheery picks guardian articles to suit an argument. Ancestry would be a better term to use instead of ethnicity being honest.

No don't be silly. However Irish people do have the highest incidence of CF in the world. It does not mean that they all have it.

Serous question for you. How would you react if you met an American who introduced themselves as "Irish" because all of their 4 grandparents had emigrated from Ireland and the families had settled and lived in a majority Irish neighbourhood in the US ever since.

You skirted the question about the African American. Would you tell him he isn't "African American" and is instead just "American". That he isn't entitled to his own history, but rather that his history is just the same shared history of any other American?

• Advertisement

Im off,cant argue with somebody who cheery picks guardian articles to suit an argument. Ancestry would be a better term to use instead of ethnicity being honest.

So Pearse isn’t Irish? Gotcha.

No don't be silly. However Irish people do have the highest incidence of CF in the world. It does not mean that they all have it.

Serous question for you. How would you react if you met an American who introduced themselves as "Irish" because all of their 4 grandparents had emigrated from Ireland and the families had settled and lived in a majority Irish neighbourhood in the US ever since.

You skirted the question about the African American. Would you tell him he isn't "African American" and is instead just "American". That he isn't entitled to his own history, but rather that his history is just the same shared history of any other American?

The Americans you refer to in both cases are, eh, Americans. Every American has their own unique history - just like every other individual on this planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

There are a 1.5 million odd Syrian refugees in Lebanon, a country half the size of Leinster. Is that ‘fair’ or is it an international responsibility? Asylum isn’t charity.

If it's an international responsibility, why are ME countries not shouldering more of the burden - particularly the super wealthy gulf states? And these countries have a much better chance of assimilating syrians into their country, given that they have a similar culture and religion!

The truth is that some countries are allowing themselves to be walked all over... in our case, it is partly because of ulterior motives by our leaders. They want to flood our country with as many impoverished 3rd world people as they can, so they can artificially stimulate our dropping birth rate... (because obviously impoverished people historically always have more kids)

But they do not care about the social consequences of these decisions. They don't care if we end up with ethnic slums, with mass unemployment, rampant crime and generations of knock on effects from this! Leo and his buddies will be long gone, and everyone else will have to clean up their mess!

If it's an international responsibility, why are ME countries not shouldering more of the burden - particularly the super wealthy gulf states? And these countries have a much better chance of assimilating syrians into their country, given that they have a similar culture and religion!

The truth is that some countries are allowing themselves to be walked all over... in our case, it is partly because of ulterior motives by our leaders. They want to flood our country with as many impoverished 3rd world people as they can, so they can artificially stimulate our dropping birth rate... (because obviously impoverished people historically always have more kids)

But they do not care about the social consequences of these decisions. They don't care if we end up with ethnic slums, with mass unemployment, rampant crime and generations of knock on effects from this! Leo and his buddies will be long gone, and everyone else will have to clean up their mess!

Middle Eastern countries, and Turkey, are shouldering the bulk of the problem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War

So Pearse isn’t Irish? Gotcha.

What are you talking about he was born in Ireland to an Irish mother so yes i would consider him irish. Has Irish ancestry. In saying all i said i would consider anybody born here irish. Just pointing out that geographical regions have genetic traits. Anyway im back to work.

What are you talking about he was born in Ireland to an Irish mother so yes i would consider him irish. Has Irish ancestry. In saying all i said i would consider anybody born here irish. Just pointing out that geographical regions have genetic traits. Anyway im back to work.

Why is he not English on the basis of your criteria?

Why is he not English on the basis of your criteria?

He has Irish ancestry through his mother.

The Americans you refer to in both cases are, eh, Americans. Every American has their own unique history - just like every other individual on this planet.

Ok. So you would correct the black fella for calling himself an African American?

We know you would correct the Irish-American for calling himself Irish. A bit trickier when it comes to the black fella though isn't it?

How about an intermediate one. You know, along the woke scale but not as high profile as the African Americans. How about a Mexican American who was born and grew up in the US, speaking only Spanish who identifies as Mexican. Will you tell them they can't do that because they don't have a Mexican passport?

DelaneyIn wrote: »

Is one of the main causes of the housing crisis immigration? It seems so yet it’s never discussed when debating the issue.

Wasters housed in Sheriff Street isn't discussed much either.

• Advertisement

He has Irish ancestry through his mother.

And? He has English ancestry through his father. Could it possibly be that ancestry isn’t particularly important in defining nationality?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement