Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB QR code reader/ scanner

Options
  • 05-02-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all,

Currently we use Windows 10 laptop and manually input a machines serial number into an excel spreadsheet. We would prefer to eliminate manual errors and increase efficiency, and use a usb QR scanner to input the serial numbers.

We have already tried a QR scanner but it grabs all the info on the QR code ie serial number, Manufacturing info, country of origin etc and enters this into the spreadsheet along with a page of code. By the time we edit this info, the efficiency is lost.

Is there any way to change or set what a scanner copies from the machines QR code I.e. just copy or past the serial number? Maybe there is settings within Excel which control this?

Any suggestions, brands or makes for scanner and software is appreciated.

Thanks a million,

Duckytech.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nsi423

I'm not familiar with scanners like this, but Excel itself is quiet powerful and could be programmed to chop up the incoming text, especially if the scanner output is in a similar format each time. But that would mean writing macros (i.e. code), there isn't a 'setting' for that.
    Post or PM me with some examples of the text, I'll see if it's something an spoofer like me could do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Zbar is a simple software QR code reader and is cross platform.
    It does both bar codes and QR codes.

It should run on the laptop with the aid of a cheap camera for input.

http://zbar.sourceforge.net/

Other than that I could only refer to a bar code reader, connected by USB and hand held

Honeywell Adaptus 3800G

which operated quite quickly.

The one I used looked like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-3800G-Handheld-Barcode-Scanner-Reader-30206-000693E-with-USB-Cable-NEW/133317522906?hash=item1f0a57f5da:g:lHoAAOSwh-JeL0nf

EDIT: I forgot to mention there is an addon for Firefox to read QR codes from a webcam input.
    That might suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

nsi423 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with scanners like this, but Excel itself is quiet powerful and could be programmed to chop up the incoming text, especially if the scanner output is in a similar format each time. But that would mean writing macros (i.e. code), there isn't a 'setting' for that.
    Post or PM me with some examples of the text, I'll see if it's something an spoofer like me could do! :)

Thanks for the info, im away from the office for a few days but as soon as i get the chance ill post an example of the text and maybe theres something that can be done. Ill look into some options within excel too.

Thanks again,

Duckytech.

Zbar is a simple software QR code reader and is cross platform.
    It does both bar codes and QR codes.

It should run on the laptop with the aid of a cheap camera for input.

http://zbar.sourceforge.net/

Other than that I could only refer to a bar code reader, connected by USB and hand held

Honeywell Adaptus 3800G

which operated quite quickly.

The one I used looked like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-3800G-Handheld-Barcode-Scanner-Reader-30206-000693E-with-USB-Cable-NEW/133317522906?hash=item1f0a57f5da:g:lHoAAOSwh-JeL0nf

EDIT: I forgot to mention there is an addon for Firefox to read QR codes from a webcam input.
    That might suit?

Cheers Johnboy, ill look into this software and see if it can do what we want.

Thanks!

Duckytech

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Another thought ...... I haven't used them but there are QR Code reader apps on mobile phones, would any of them provide the functions you require?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

apologies for the delay in getting back with an update.

The scanner we use is a Zebra DS2208.

When i scan into Excel, i get the following data scanned over:

01108845217385221118033121N18711294 where what i require is the last part from the letter N onwards: N18711294

Thanks for any assistance guys.

Duckytech.

Another thought ...... I haven't used them but there are QR Code reader apps on mobile phones, would any of them provide the functions you require?

I have seen some of these apps and although they seem like they would work, we would rather use a handheld scanner if possible.

Thanks JohnBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Assuming 01108845217385221118033121N18711294 gets scanned in to A1 and there will never be two 'N's in the input, just put this formula in B1:
    ="N" & RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1) - SEARCH("N", A1))

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Assuming 01108845217385221118033121N18711294 gets scanned in to A1 and there will never be two 'N's in the input, just put this formula in B1:
    ="N" & RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1) - SEARCH("N", A1))

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try and see. I actually realised that the barcode is a Data Matrix style and not QR as I thought originally. I'm not sure if this makes any difference.

Thanks again.

Hi all, just a follow up on my problem.

I downloaded SW called 123scan from Zebra. It allowed me to program my scanner the way I needed.

In case anyone needs to know, there are a couple of handy videos on youtube showing steps for different programming options.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Much appreciated.

Duckytech.

• Advertisement
Advertisement