Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens to a house if someone dies with no family?

Options
  • 06-02-2020 12:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

Does it just go derelict or does the state take it over or what happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Does it just go derelict or does the state take it over or what happens?

Most of what you need to know starts in the link below:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/the_deceaseds_estate/what_happens_the_deceaseds_estate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Usually the deceased will have extended family, nieces/nephews etc. If no Will is left its divided equally amongst them.

I've seen this happen first-hand, but maybe there are alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Usually the deceased will have extended family, nieces/nephews etc. If no Will is left its divided equally amongst them.

The relations crawl out when there is no will ... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

Where there’s a Will, there’s a.............relative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

BuboBubo wrote: »

I think there’s a much larger tax liability if someone dies intestate and without any direct heirs.
    If there was a will, their inheritance would be larger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

About 20 years ago, each household in my extended family got a letter from a solicitor in England to tell us that a distant, distant cousin on my father's side had died in England with no descendants. I don't know if he had a will or not, but the estate was divided up among such family as could be found.

I think my Dad got something like £700 in the end; it seemed a kind of a sad way to go out. If I end up without any descendants, I will leave everything I have to some organisation (who knows, I may end up doing that anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If someone has no living relatives and no will then their estate goes to the State

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Can you actually leave your property to an animal welfare group??

We have a house jointly purchased - no children (and won't have either)
    Both have siblings and the likely hood of them having children is slim to none

Don't actually have a will in place as of yet, but, when we do get a will done, can we leave the house to an animal welfare group?
    And if so, how would they work that?

If someone has no living relatives and no will then their estate goes to the State

Known in Law as an "Escheated Estate"

Wiki link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Can you actually leave your property to an animal welfare group??

We have a house jointly purchased - no children (and won't have either)
    Both have siblings and the likely hood of them having children is slim to none

Don't actually have a will in place as of yet, but, when we do get a will done, can we leave the house to an animal welfare group?
    And if so, how would they work that?

I presume they sell it, and keep the proceeds (minus the solicitors' fees, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You get a solicitor to draw up the will and make and agreement with the animal welfare group.

When they "inherit" the property they will more than likely just sell it on immediately to release the value of it for their use. They won't hang onto it unless the property would be useful for them to build something on for their use.

Be careful though, a lot of these animal welfare groups are corrupt and rotten to the core. I know of one locally where I live and I donated to. A while late I heard they had to close down as they no longer had any money to keep going. Then I heard the real story a few months later - the main organiser had a serious gambling addiction and squandered all the money, many many thousands given by regular people. There were massive veterinary bills left unpaid and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

You get a solicitor to draw up the will and make and agreement with the animal welfare group.

When they "inherit" the property they will more than likely just sell it on immediately to release the value of it for their use. They won't hang onto it unless the property would be useful for them to build something on for their use.

Be careful though, a lot of these animal welfare groups are corrupt and rotten to the core. I know of one locally where I live and I donated to. A while late I heard they had to close down as they no longer had any money to keep going. Then I heard the real story a few months later - the main organiser had a serious gambling addiction and squandered all the money, many many thousands given by regular people. There were massive veterinary bills left unpaid and everything.

Hmmmm......sounds interesting - would definitely need to research it alright - it's one of the bigger charities, they are the only charity i have donated to in the past but your right, a lot of charities in general (not just animal ones!) are corrupt so would need to be 100% certain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

The nieces and nephews start their grovelling about 2 or 3 years before their aunt or uncle croak it. They drive them here and there and the one who plays the cutest game gets the loot, simple as. Its the most common game in rural Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

El Tarangu wrote: »
    About 20 years ago, each household in my extended family got a letter from a solicitor in England to tell us that a distant, distant cousin on my father's side had died in England with no descendants. I don't know if he had a will or not, but the estate was divided up among such family as could be found.

I think my Dad got something like £700 in the end; it seemed a kind of a sad way to go out. If I end up without any descendants, I will leave everything I have to some organisation (who knows, I may end up doing that anyway).

My Mam got similar, heir hunters found her, they think it was a great aunt who got herself up the duff and was ran out of town. She ended up quite rich in London and a whole pile of cousins and aunts etc got a few quid. Sad to think she ended up not knowing her relatives.

Advertisement