Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angle Grinder Arrived Today

Options
  • 06-02-2020 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Delivered to my neighbours place. (We'd each bought something, to hit the free postage mark. And I'm not fond of couriers)

Got an email, early afters, to say it was here. Rang him to confirm. Yep. He'd drop it down " Later today. "

Managed to feed the horses. Dogs. Even myself! Before deciding, by 21:30 he wasn't coming tonight. Relaxed ~ at last. Was enjoying my Jameson ration. Just considering it's time I let the Dogs out. Alarm goes off! :rolleyes:

He wanted more light, to see the notes he was going to pay me, for his order, with. So, we stepped inside. One thing led to another, till he's asking if I have a disc, or one came with the grinder. Incidentally; He's Reeking of garlic!

No disc. But, I have one in my dead Makita. I pop that in my new MacAllistar and fire her up. We both agree it has a lovely, slow start. Goes 0 to 60. Doesn't start at 60! Gotta be better for the motor :) All is good.

Only, I was Seriously enjoying the peace of that Jameson. My Dogs know it's their let out time. Ye Do rather f***ing bang, mate! Can I just Relax now? Please?

But, no. He's got one of the guards in his hand. (He's already fitted the side handle) Did I get a little spanner in the box? This isn't fitting! It Needs A Spanner!

I'm a seriously laid back guy. I'm like; What ever. I'll buy a little spanner. Tools! LOL! (Ye can stop getting so agitated over my tool now, man. My Dogs ....?)

But, he's getting Visibly wound up now. All I can smell is garlic. All I Want is my Jameson, and to let my Dogs out. Then, I'll kick back and slowly read the manual. I Always read the manuals! Hey, look; I'll go and get the manual? We'll see what That says. Right?

Come back through the door to find him jamming one of my Best, bloody screwdrivers into the thing!!! I'm bloody sure That's not in the manual! :eek:

Managed to throw a bucket of cold water over him. Much Steam! Ushered him out, him muttering about 'Spanners! Tomorrow!'.

Dogs out. In. Air cleared. I sat down with my reading glasses and the manual. " Remove fixing nuts (Fig. 9 & 10) " 10 rolled off. 9, the back nut? Having none of it. This nut is on top of the guard he'd put on. It's visibly out of flat / true. Forcibly cross threaded.

What Could he have been doing with that screwdriver? Levering away, all het up, as I came back through the door?

I'm impressed! Haven't I always told ye that I am the nemesis of 4 1/2" grinders? That I've killed more of them ~ with minimal, light use ~ in a decade, than you've had hot dinners?

Now, I think, I've found a true Master! Box to bin in under ten minutes?! Respect!!!

TL;DR?Neighbour wrecked my brand new tool ~ Fresh out the box. Grinder shopping, Again! Iron is? I needed to do a five minute job. But, wouldn't borrow his. Because I'd kill it!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I think you had a bit more Jameson than you're letting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Stigura

Think my mate may not have been giving off fumes, because of the garlic! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Is it definitely goosed? Throw up a picture, it might be salvageable

Nothing to show, mate. We all know what the back nut on a grinder looks like. It's just slightly lifted, to one side, and can't be turned.

Before I caught him jamming my Stanley in there, I was spinning it with my finger tips.

So; No one of The Massive has any words of wisdom on cross threaded flanges then?

The Twitteraty are all giggling, " Ooh! He was pissed! ". No, actually. But, I sure as hell woke up pissed, today. Been totally pissed All day! Today I was supposed to be putting my new grinder to five minutes use. Then setting my new trap.

As it is? I can't even bring myself to look at the bloody thing. And no sign of my neighbour.

Weeks I've waited. I am So damn pissed!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »
    So; No one of The Massive has any words of wisdom on cross threaded flanges then?

The Twitteraty are all giggling, " Ooh! He was pissed! ". No, actually. But, I sure as hell woke up pissed, today. Been totally pissed All day! Today I was supposed to be putting my new grinder to five minutes use. Then setting my new trap.

As it is? I can't even bring myself to look at the bloody thing. And no sign of my neighbour.

Weeks I've waited. I am So damn pissed!!! :mad:

Honestly, stick up a picture, so we can see exactly what's what. I'd prefer that than offer advice without seeing the problem

It's unlikely that he pulled the nut up and over the threads with a screwdriver

P2060435.jpg

There ye go. I tried to make a clip of me turning (Trying to turn) it. But, I need a hand to press the lock button and one to work the flange. Couldn't get the camera in my mouth.

P2060435.jpg

There ye go. I tried to make a clip of me turning (Trying to turn) it. But, I need a hand to press the lock button and one to work the flange. Couldn't get the camera in my mouth.

What happens if you try tighten the lock nut? You might be able to square it up and then remove it

Actually, it looks very close to the end of the threads, are you sure he didn't just tighten it down?

All I know is that it has a couple of degrees of free turn, in either direction. Then it's solid.

I've read the manual too. No where does it say ye even need a spanner (Common sense would say ye use ye fingers to run the little nut down till the lever works)

It certainly doesn't mention screw drivers and levering actions anywhere.

18:00 and gone. No word from my neighbour. Perhaps he's the one nursing a sore head?

Me? I'm well past pissed now. I'm absolutely f'ing Gutted!!! :mad:

He may have wedged the threads together. I'd be inclined to put a bit of pressure on tightening it to see does it unbind.

Look at it this way, if it's already fückered, you can't fücker it any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Isn't that a back washer that should just lift off? It sits on two flats on my grinder. Not threaded on.

Silent Running!!! Get f***ing running ~ before I find ye and Kiss ye!!!! :D

I'm sat here, practically in tears of laughter! Trying to follow what I understood to be both of ye's advice there, I pushed and pulled and wiggled it? Bloody thing just popped off in my hand!!! :D

Bleedin' idiot most likely Was pissed, last night! Got himself worked up. Found the flange jammed. I caught him trying to Lever off what should come Straight off, look! Idiot was making it worse! (And, worse than that; He was using my bloody Stanley screw driver to do it!)

Thank You, gentlemen! A Thousand times, Thank You! I'll Finally sort that bloody trap out, tomorrow! :D

As for the; " Tee hee! He's drunk! Types more characters than Twitter allows us! " lot? Yeah. Thanks a ton, Millennials :rolleyes:

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am so confused.

That's alright, Awec. I think my neighbour was, last night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sledge hammer will sort that right out....

The essay hurt my brain....

Top tip, mate: Once the words start to make ye brow furrow? Give up and move on ;)

Twitter, Text and Janet and John may be more to ye taste. Short words in little bites :)

Why come round making snide and 'clever' comments on a thread ye clearly have nothing else to put into? I mean seriously: Why?

This isn't After Hours.

Drill it out and get a replacement.

Thanks, but: Post 13 ....?

Thanks, but: Post 13 ....?

Ah skipped over the other essay and missed that....

Happy cutting...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What’s your favorite humming sound?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I am so confused.

It's the rear flange, the bit that the metal centre of the grinding disk locates onto. It's not a nut, which apparently Stigura thought it was. And his mate Pat thought it was too. The blind leading the blind.

The thing that really gets me is that there's supposedly a big 9" grinder to hand also that the disk was removed from in order to fit it to this new 4 1/2" grinder. So the components and assembly order should be pretty familiar, even more-so for someone who's supposedly wrecked a load of 4 1/2" grinders in their time.

I also can't for the life of me understand how it wouldn't be noted that the threads are not at all damaged, marred, deformed, for starters. It's also pretty bloody clear to see that the threaded part of the shaft doesn't actually extend to where the 'nut' was located.

Makes no sense at all and I'd share your confusion except for the fact that this all par for the course.

Top tip, mate: Once the words start to make ye brow furrow? Give up and move on ;)

Twitter, Text and Janet and John may be more to ye taste. Short words in little bites :)

Why come round making snide and 'clever' comments on a thread ye clearly have nothing else to put into? I mean seriously: Why?

This isn't After Hours.

Snide and clever? A sense of humour helps at times.

But moving past that oversensitivity, the simple fact is that people who can't assemble a cutting disk onto an angle grinder should not be using such tools in the first place. They're a dangerous tool even in the right hands at times.

Akrasia wrote: »
    What’s your favorite humming sound?

Mmmmmmmmmmm or is it mmmmmmmmmmmeeeeemmmmmmmmmm

Jaysus lads lighten up. Nobody died or anything. And the joy of the internet is you can ignore anyone you want, and they won't even know :D

cletus wrote: »
    Jaysus lads lighten up. Nobody died or anything. And the joy of the internet is you can ignore anyone you want, and they won't even know :D

Your going in the black book of others to ignore....

Your going in the black book of others to ignore....

:D grand, I'll try not lose too much sleep over it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

JayZeus wrote: »

Makes no sense at all and I'd share your confusion except for the fact that this all par for the course.

And wearing a bit thin...

people who can't assemble a cutting disk onto an angle grinder should not be using such tools in the first place. They're a dangerous tool even in the right hands at times.

Thanks. I'll pass ye sentiment onto Pat the Drunkard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Snide and clever? A sense of humour helps at times.

They're a dangerous tool even in the right hands at times.

Very true. It's one of those tools that I treat with the utmost respect. When spinning, it's capable of doing huge damage to skin and bone with even the slightest contact.

• Advertisement

It's one of those tools that I treat with the utmost respect. When spinning, it's capable of doing huge damage to skin and bone with even the slightest contact.

< People; Please feel free to move along, should the below look beyond ye concentration span. Perhaps that of a Halting Site? :) >

Did I ever tell ye the one about the time I got a Hoof Disc for one? Vicious looking, copper coloured thing. Think like a flying saucer with the coating of a cheese grater.

Back was too shot, even then, to do the bending over stuff, let alone while gripping a donkeys leg and supporting the bugger. Ye'll like this!

Down on one knee. Donkeys back leg gripped with my left hand. Resting it on my right thigh. Mini grinder held in (One!) right hand. Fired it up and hoof particles are flying!

Then, something happened. God knows what. It was all so fast and painful. But, 'obviously'; The bloody grinder shot off at a tangent. Came back at me, with a vengeance!

I lost a pair of denims and some skin and blood. If Ian Paisley there wants to call me a Liar again? He's more than welcome to come see the scar.

So close to my femoral artery, I get cold sweats just thinking about it! My equally close 'nads? Debatable, at my age. But, opening a main artery? Alone, down there in the stables. A fifty minute ambulance trip from the general? Nah!

Anyway; Got This, today :D

Grindertn.jpg

Specifically told the lad ~ good lad ~ I wanted to rub a mm or two off a little slab of post mix. 8 x 3". He said it'd be grand.

I'll wear my full face visor and keep my parts out of the way :eek:

Trap.jpg

Advertisement