Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT expired few months ago! Penalty points?

Options
  • 06-02-2020 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi, my NCT expired in Dec/2019.
    I have the test booked for 2 weeks from now.
    My question is, will I get 3 penalty points upon my arrival to the test centre? Or that only applies if garda stop me on the road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Bobo2606 wrote: »
    My question is, will I get 3 penalty points upon my arrival to the test centre? Or that only applies if garda stop me on the road?

Only if Garda stops you. My Mrs just did her test & her car was 10 months late.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Have all your paper work to hand on the Passenger seat just in case to prove where your going. You would want to be really unlucky to happen upon a checkpoint. But I wonder does the NPR systems catch out of date NCTs? Might get picked up by one of them by a passing NPR equipped car if indeed the NCT is linked to the system

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Even if stopped, you have a letter for an NCT appointment. The Garda would have to be a awful dick to give you points.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Effects wrote: »
    Even if stopped, you have a letter for an NCT appointment. The Garda would have to be a awful dick to give you points.

So... people can just keep deferring the test once they've print outs that one is booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

So... people can just keep deferring the test once they've print outs that one is booked?

They can do it without a print out too, it's a matter of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They can do it without a print out too, it's a matter of luck.

Have the booking text on your phone, worked for me ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bobo2606 wrote: »

I'd be more worried about your insurance than the Gardai, as they regularly ignore our laws. Your aren't insured if you don't have a valid NCT, they will pay for 3rd party damages but the insurance companies have stated going after uninsured driver's in the courts to recoup these payouts. To have valid insurance you need to be have a roadworthy vehicle and if the vehicle cannot legally be driven on a public road because it doesn't have a valid NCT it's not road worthy, having a valid NCT doesn't automatically make a car roadworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about your insurance than the Gardai, as they regularly ignore our laws. Your aren't insured if you don't have a valid NCT, they will pay for 3rd party damages but the insurance companies have stated going after uninsured driver's in the courts to recoup these payouts. To have valid insurance you need to be have a roadworthy vehicle and if the vehicle cannot legally be driven on a public road because it doesn't have a valid NCT it's not road worthy, having a valid NCT doesn't automatically make a car roadworthy.

Thats not true, to be honest its scaremongering. All that will happen when you claim without an NCT is that you get a lower payout as the car is "worth less" without the NCT.

OP - have proof of the booking and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Certain posters have habits of posting what they would like to be true rather than actual reality.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sure my car can't even be NCTd. I tried and as it's too old it doesn't even appear on their system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Limits on that I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bobo2606

antodeco wrote: »
    Sure my car can't even be NCTd. I tried and as it's too old it doesn't even appear on their system!

Haha.. what car do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I'd be more worried about your insurance than the Gardai, as they regularly ignore our laws. Your aren't insured if you don't have a valid NCT

Nonsense. Some insurers require a valid NCT to initiate cover, many don't.
    This is not the 1st time you have come out with this totally incorrect information.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Some insurers require a valid NCT to initiate cover, many don't.
    This is not the 1st time you have come out with this totally incorrect information.

All insurance policies require the vehicle to be maintained in a road worthy condition, how can a vehicle which can't legally be on the road road worthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

An NCT simply means that the car was roadworthy only at the time of testing. Most Insurers understand this.....

Also a car must be taxed to be legally on the road. Many Insurers do not require this either.

You have stated here many times that a car is not covered by insurance without a current NCT. This is totally incorrect. It depends on the individual Insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

While awaiting the test make sure all lights are working by checking them daily, tyres are well in to legal territory and that you have no modifications like a 90% blocking sunvisor. Chances are Garda will let you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bobo2606

While awaiting the test make sure all lights are working by checking them daily, tyres are well in to legal territory and that you have no modifications like a 90% blocking sunvisor. Chances are Garda will let you go.

The car is in great condition. New Michelins all around, no mods.
    Plus I don't drive it to work, so I should be fine.

Many thanks everyone! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Get it booked asap and make sure you have the letter in the car, with the hassle with the lifts at the moment no guard will go any further as you have a booking. Friend of mine got 3 points for no NCT on the car, it was a company car and he never got the notice, he's still freaking about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

All insurance policies require the vehicle to be maintained in a road worthy condition, how can a vehicle which can't legally be on the road road worthy?

Of course a vehicle can, as "road worthy" is merely the physical condition of the vehicle. Insurance, Tax and NCT are needed in addition to a roadworthy vehicle in order to make a road legal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Car doesn't have to be taxed to get to or from a test only once it's declared off the road.

If you're in a crash and car is wrote off, you will be given much less then car is worth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement