Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More homeless fake news.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

it's still a thing

because if the contribution you pay for your home is provided to you for nothing

then its free

to you

not to the taxpayer, who pays for it

and then pays extra because of your home being free so competition is increased in an already blown market

and then lives a hundred miles away because you deserve to be on a handy bus route in a handy area, and the punter can only afford to live in the back arse of commuter land

so yes, its free, yes its still a thing, yes these points are always raised by someone protesting the definition and no those same people never really address the above response.

Show me somebody who got a free house. And I don't mean someone who is paying subsidised rent as they don't own a house. Social housing tenants pay in the region of 350 million annually to local authorities in rent.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Isn't it a fact that there's a housing list, social hosing, rent allowance, temporary accommodation and emergency accommodation etc.

So yes 'free houses' are still a thing. You're wrong.

You consider emergency accommodation getting handed a free house? :(

optogirl wrote: »
    Show me somebody who got a free house. And I don't mean someone who is paying subsidised rent as they don't own a house. Social housing tenants pay in the region of 350 million annually to local authorities in rent.

im not awful bothered by what you mean

your housing needs are met from the exchequer, you are getting a free house

if we disagree on the finer points, meh

im paying rent, i get a house for what i pay, simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

You consider emergency accommodation getting handed a free house? :(

Answer me this - why do you think so many children are being born in emergency accommodation? Have a good think about it before you reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

im not awful bothered by what you mean

your housing needs are met from the exchequer, you are getting a free house

if we disagree on the finer points, meh

im paying rent, i get a house for what i pay, simples

C'mon now, you know full well every social housing tenant is billed rent. The amounts me be small in many instances but saying 'free house' is as big a lie as any made in this thread. It's factually incorrect.

If you want to make the case for higher social housing rents to put the system on a more sustainable footing make it, I'd be among those that might agree with you, but stop telling porkies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yurt! wrote: »
    C'mon now, you know full well every social housing tenant is billed rent. The amounts me be small in many instances but saying 'free house' is as big a lie as any made in this thread. It's factually incorrect.

If you want to make the case for higher social housing rents to put the system on a more sustainable footing make it, I'd be among those that might agree with you, but stop telling porkies.

I don't know the percentages but a lot of the people will be using their welfare to pay is, so free in way.

I don't know the percentages but a lot of the people will be using their welfare to pay is, so free in way.

Goalposts. Where did they go? I can't see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Oranage2 wrote:
    Genuine Question:

Oranage2 wrote:
    I rent, am I homeless?

Of course...you haven't been provided with a free house. Disgraceful

Goalposts. Where did they go? I can't see them.

If you don’t work, have never worked and receive welfare payments, then a house on top of that for which a meagre rent is charged, which you pay from the welfare you never worked for - that’s essentially a free house by any stretch isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's gas that all these people enraged about 'de homeless' are posting from warm comfy beds or air con offices and never had to choose which doorway to sleep in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I lived in a social house with my family till May 2004. The weekly rent I was paying was 114 euro. The mortgage on my house was less than a month's rent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Answer me this - why do you think so many children are being born in emergency accommodation? Have a good think about it before you reply.

People who have no money like sex like everyone else and cannot afford contraception?

I wouldn't presume to be able to answer that question because there are too many variables and happily I don't subscribe to the notion that poverty is a choice or that most people are on the make.

If you don’t work, have never worked and receive welfare payments, then a house on top of that for which a meagre rent is charged, which you pay from the welfare you never worked for - that’s essentially a free house by any stretch isn’t it?

Go back and edit your post so. 'Essentially' free homes (but not really) for those social housing tenants who happen to be on the live register, but not really.

Looks a little better but is still right wing angryman b*llocks.

Go back and edit your post so. 'Essentially' free homes (but not really) for those social housing tenants who happen to be on the live register, but not really.

Nothing angry about me, I simply don’t subscribe to the free **** for everyone bollixolgy you’ve clearly signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You forgot "triggered", "gammon" and "OK Boomer". :pac:

I wouldn't presume to be able to answer that question because there are too many variables and happily I don't subscribe to the notion that poverty is a choice or that most people are on the make.

I’ll give you a hint - each one extra of these you have while on the list is the difference between an extra bedroom or not. Any logical person would be trying to avoid bringing children in to such an environment - I wonder why it’s so rampant among the “homeless”??

Nothing angry about me, I simply don’t subscribe to the free **** for everyone bollixolgy you’ve clearly signed up to.

Like I said, right wing angryman b*llocks.

Do you think if houses became affordable that that would solve the 'homeless crisis'?

As opposed to the naive bollocks you have on display?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Dude, you seem very angsty this morning. You ok?

Dude, you seem very angsty this morning. You ok?

Do you mind? I'm toying with Piers Morgan lite here.

I'm giving him a 'free education.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

How do the papers get away with such lies?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/pregnant-dublin-woman-living-flimsy-21439983?fbclid=IwAR21W4e_C7ouFAKvosx84baW3rTl_2ewOxnF9M0YEvJGjl-5wvPymwEJD5g

"Pregnant Dublin woman living in flimsy tent challenges Taoiseach over homeless hell"

Nice headline grabber, then right conveniently at the end it actually saumys:

"A DRHE spokeswoman added last night: “I can confirm this couple were offered emergency accommodation when they recently presented to homeless services, but did not wish to take up this offer. They have since been offered alternative emergency accommodation and have accepted this offer.”

So basically she isn't living in a tent.

Why? To sell papers, that's all... They don't give a fiddlers fúck about the truth.

Do you think if houses became affordable that that would solve the 'homeless crisis'?

I think it would go a long way, yes. Most people presenting as homeless are coming directly from the private rental sector which simply means they can't afford a rental increase/landlord is selling up or not renewing & the tenants can't afford to buy a house. If I didn't have family around me and my landlord decided he was selling up, I'd be f*cked. Husband and I have 3 jobs between us.
    House are not affordable but that is not the fault of poor people.

There are also the massive numbers sleeping in doorways - Dublin is actually a shameful place to be early in the morning. Every doorway on Grafton street has at least one sleeping bag in it. Are these people just ingorant to the fact that there's a 'free house' waiting for them if they just fill in the right form?

Do you mind? I'm toying with Piers Morgan lite here.

I'm giving him a 'free education.'

Ah I get it now, you have no logical or valid responses to what I posted so you choose to deflect with low wit comments. Carry on.

Ah I get it now, you have no logical or valid responses to what I posted so you choose to deflect with low wit comments. Carry on.

Ah come off it Blaze.

As if you're not coiled up in rage at have the twaddle you were peddling being demonstrated as factually incorrect.

The only people that parrot 'free houses' are entry-level angrymen.

May I recommend you waste your vote this Saturday on the National Party or Renua, you're exactly the type they court.

I think it would go a long way, yes. Most people presenting as homeless are coming directly from the private rental sector which simply means they can't afford a rental increase/landlord is selling up or not renewing & the tenants can't afford to buy a house. If I didn't have family around me and my landlord decided he was selling up, I'd be f*cked. Husband and I have 3 jobs between us.
    House are not affordable but that is not the fault of poor people.

There are also the massive numbers sleeping in doorways - Dublin is actually a shameful place to be early in the morning. Every doorway on Grafton street has at least one sleeping bag in it. Are these people just ingorant to the fact that there's a 'free house' waiting for them if they just fill in the right form?

Real homelessness I've a lot of sympathy for, there's some hard luck stories though I do believe there's a lot of mental health issues there as well, along with addictions.

However I've a suspicion that a lot of the homeless now are playing the system.

Have you got a sourse for your assumption that the majority of the homeless are coming from the commercial sector?

Also what would you consider affordable housing? 100k, 150k, 200k?

As if you're not coiled up in rage at have the twaddle you were peddling being demonstrated as factually incorrect.

The only people that parrot 'free houses' are entry-level angrymen.

May I recommend you waste your vote this Saturday on the National Party or Renua, you're exactly the type they court.

Would you mind demonstrating what I said that is “factually incorrect”? I haven’t seen one response from you against any of the points I raised. Go on, I’ll wait for you to come back with that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

There's loads of them, take your pick. Eoghan Murphy built them all. Rolled up his sleeves.

Those people on the streets are hobbyists and spongers. There's a good reason why rent in Dublin costs more than Tokyo or Sydney. It's because Fine Gael are awesome and anyone who says otherwise is a WASTER.

:D

Advertisement