Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More homeless fake news.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

Anything to say about the lies peddled in the OP?

Constant lies everyday and people just accept it.

But if the government say anything we'll their éis uproar about spin and lies.

People accept lies on a daily basis.

I've lost count on how many stories that have been in the media about people, that the public blindfully accept as the truth, without doing any sort of digging or research themselves.

Lack of independant thinking on people's part in this day and age is fascinating yet, terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's gas that all these people enraged about 'de homeless' are posting from warm comfy beds or air con offices and never had to choose which doorway to sleep in their lives.

I don't have a womb, and am hetrosexual, does that mean I shouldn't have an opinion/empathy with SSM or abortion?

What an utterly stupid comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

How do the papers get away with such lies?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/pregnant-dublin-woman-living-flimsy-21439983?fbclid=IwAR21W4e_C7ouFAKvosx84baW3rTl_2ewOxnF9M0YEvJGjl-5wvPymwEJD5g

"Pregnant Dublin woman living in flimsy tent challenges Taoiseach over homeless hell"

Nice headline grabber, then right conveniently at the end it actually saumys:

"A DRHE spokeswoman added last night: “I can confirm this couple were offered emergency accommodation when they recently presented to homeless services, but did not wish to take up this offer. They have since been offered alternative emergency accommodation and have accepted this offer.”

So basically she isn't living in a tent.

Small question. Did anyone see the first " emergency accommodation" that was offered? Clearly a tent was preferable.

So the second offer was better. So they took it.

Being homeless does not mean you have to accept unacceptable accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Graces7 wrote: »

Being homeless does not mean you have to accept unacceptable accommodation.

You are going to be hit with variations of ' beggars can't be choosers".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Real homelessness I've a lot of sympathy for, there's some hard luck stories though I do believe there's a lot of mental health issues there as well, along with addictions.

However I've a suspicion that a lot of the homeless now are playing the system.

Have you got a sourse for your assumption that the majority of the homeless are coming from the commercial sector?

Also what would you consider affordable housing? 100k, 150k, 200k?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/majority-of-homeless-have-been-evicted-by-landlords-in-the-private-rental-sector-37660062.html

https://www.newstalk.com/news/families-homelessness-private-rented-870203]

https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-families-8-4680518-Jun2019/

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0613/1055055-homelessness-focus-ireland/

Affordable for me would be adequate family housing that is under 3.5x the median wage (and I don't mean the average wage as that gets skewed by high earners)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 cosybeach

optogirl wrote: »
    There are also the massive numbers sleeping in doorways - Dublin is actually a shameful place to be early in the morning. Every doorway on Grafton street has at least one sleeping bag in it. Are these people just ingorant to the fact that there's a 'free house' waiting for them if they just fill in the right form?

There is free emergency accommodation available to anyone who want it in fact the original post had someone presenting themselves as sleeping rough read it you will see they are in accommodation.
    As in the past most of these publicity stunts are promoted by a hugh homeless industry 70 in dublin alone

Yurt! wrote: »
    C'mon now, you know full well every social housing tenant is billed rent. The amounts me be small in many instances but saying 'free house' is as big a lie as any made in this thread. It's factually incorrect.

If you want to make the case for higher social housing rents to put the system on a more sustainable footing make it, I'd be among those that might agree with you, but stop telling porkies.

i said no such thing

and im not referring to social housing at all

im referring to those people who rely entirely on the exchequer to fund their housing needs

i laid it out quite clearly, i thought

now, my last response to you was needlessly sharp, reading back, and im sorry about that

but id like you to address the point, or admit that you know perfectly well what people refer to when they say "free house' and to whom they refer when they say it-

those who have never paid their way, have no intention of paying their way, whos only interest in society is rights and not responsibilities, and who, if there were 10k homeless (there arent) would make up the majority of any such list

not anyone in a social house (plenty who inhabit same and pay their way, which i fully believe in)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Your posting history of right-wing rants?

cosybeach wrote: »
    There is free emergency accommodation available to anyone who want it in fact the original post had someone presenting themselves as sleeping rough read it you will see they are in accommodation.
    As in the past most of these publicity stunts are promoted by a hugh homeless industry 70 in dublin alone

A lot of emergency accommodation is unsafe and not fit for purpose. You honestly think that these people in doorways are gaming the system. I'm actually ashamed for you.

It's gas that all these people enraged about 'de homeless' are posting from warm comfy beds or air con offices and never had to choose which doorway to sleep in their lives.

How many of the 10,000 figure that's bandied about have ever slept in a doorway?

• Advertisement

From the article:
    ...staying with friends and relatives when there is nowhere else to go...

Living in your ma's gaff doesn't mean you are homeless, FFS.

How many of the 10,000 figure that's bandied about have ever slept in a doorway?

Seeing as circa 4000 are children I hope none of that figure ever has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anybody pregnant or under the age of 18 is given emergency accommodation. Anybody working or volunteering within homeless services should know where to report this.

Homelessness is being used as a stick in this election and no party has any real solution. SF's figures just don't add up and FF/FG don't really GAF.

Dublin usually has 150-250 people a night sleeping rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Would you know how many of these unfortunate people couldn't pay rent so had no other choice but to go to the streets?

What relevance has your reply to my post?

see, the problem with this tack- and you see this tack a lot- is that it handwaves away any effort, any sacrifice, any responsible decision, any study, any working for the bossman, any late shift, any weekend shift, any keeping yer nose clean, any 'itll be worth it someday' that anyone might have undertaken in order to enjoy the privileges of.....not being homeless and reliant on everyone else for everything you get.

you might think that your approach is the sympathetic "nice" approach

really, you are showing total disregard for the efforts of a large tract of your fellow citizens just so you can be the 'aha' person on the internet

i mean, i dont think that makes you the good guy, youre just the guy willing to argue the case for the problem case over the normal case. doing with an eye on the overall good, or the benefits, or the consequences- hey, fine.

doing it reactively or just to be the holier-than-thou is worthless

So, according to the other poster, 97.5% of the homeless figure have never had to "choose which doorway to sleep in" either. Your original post is a bunch of emotive nonsense.

Edit: not yours, whiskey galore's

So, according to the other poster, 97.5% of the homeless figure have never had to "choose which doorway to sleep in" either. Your original post is a bunch of emotive nonsense.

How is stating the number of children defined as homeless emotive? I'm fairly ok knowing they aren't sleeping in doorways. You plus other individuals seem to have an issue with the definition of the term. Get over it. It's a recognised term internationally and applied to describe the circumstances of people who present as homeless.
    Last how an anonymous person on Boards describes my comment really is of no interest to me.

Last how an anonymous person on Boards describes my comment really is of no interest to me.

just love this type of performative irony

thats yr real name there above that post, is it?

• Advertisement

thats yr real name there above that post, is it?

Yes, my family traces it roots back to Cu Cuchulain. Surely you heard of his loyal hand 'Thedepths'. Fierce lad with a hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Politelymad

Do we remember the. homeless guy who died outside the Dail a few years ago? The one where it turned out he'd been given at least one house by his family. So the poor guy had mental issues.

Before that there was the elderly couple who briefly lived in a tent outside the house they'd been evicted from for non payment of the mortgage. Who turned out to have ten other properties that they were renting out.

In each case there was the morale outrage of the week which died away when the full facts came out.

Cynicism is a rational response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Anything to say about the lies peddled in the OP?

But if the government say anything we'll their éis uproar about spin and lies.

I can assure you our government lies are inline with other countries government lies! We are NOT exceptional in this regard! Rabble rabble.

How is stating the number of children defined as homeless emotive? I'm fairly ok knowing they aren't sleeping in doorways. You plus other individuals seem to have an issue with the definition of the term. Get over it. It's a recognised term internationally and applied to describe the circumstances of people who present as homeless.

Not that one about the children, the original one by Whiskey_Galore. Here's a quick synopsis:

W_G - It's gas that those giving out about homeless figures never slept rough
    Me - How many of the homeless figure have themselves never slept rough?
    You - hopefully none because WON'T SOMEBODY PLEEASE THINK OF THE CHILDER111?!

You are, for all intents and purposes, proving the point I was trying to make. The sheer irony of saying "You've never had to sleep on the streets, so you cannot be allowed to say anything negative about the 10k other people who have also never had to sleep on the streets" is absolutely astounding.

Is there a serious lack of housing, both to buy and to rent?.......yes, of course.
    Is there a serious issue of people unable to afford either?.......also, yes.
    The average punter is well aware of this, as they too are caught up in the same market affected by these issues. Asking them to care about others who aren't contributing as much as they are is absurd. Especially when the councils and charities are further exacerbating the problems by buying up / renting out these properties.

"I know you have to live out in the sticks and pay through the nose for the privilege, as well as spend half your time commuting from Navan and the other half working your ass off to pay for childcare, but spare a thought for your wan on the news with more kids than she has previous employers. She's living in Drumcondra but kicking up stink because she wants a gaff next door to her Ma's gaff....which is coincidentally also next door to where your office is......but anyone who dares question the narrative is a blueshirt"

Not that one about the children, the original one by Whiskey_Galore. Here's a quick synopsis:

W_G - It's gas that those giving out about homeless figures never slept rough
    Me - How many of the homeless figure have themselves never slept rough?
    You - hopefully none because WON'T SOMEBODY PLEEASE THINK OF THE CHILDER111?!

You are, for all intents and purposes, proving the point I was trying to make. The sheer irony of saying "You've never had to sleep on the streets, so you cannot be allowed to say anything negative about the 10k other people who have also never had to sleep on the streets" is absolutely astounding.

Is there a serious lack of housing, both to buy and to rent?.......yes, of course.
    Is there a serious issue of people unable to afford either?.......also, yes.
    The average punter is well aware of this, as they too are caught up in the same market affected by these issues. Asking them to care about others who aren't contributing as much as they are is absurd. Especially when the councils and charities are further exacerbating the problems by buying up / renting out these properties.

"I know you have to live out in the sticks and pay through the nose for the privilege, as well as spend half your time commuting from Navan and the other half working your ass off to pay for childcare, but spare a thought for your wan on the news with more kids than she has previous employers. She's living in Drumcondra but kicking up stink because she wants a gaff next door to her Ma's gaff....which is coincidentally also next door to where your office is......but anyone who dares question the narrative is a blueshirt"

TLDR
    Care to summarise?

Caring about people who aren't contributing as much as you is absurd? I hope it stays fine for you, really I do.

Caring about people who aren't contributing as much as you is absurd? I hope it stays fine for you, really I do.

again, the idea that 10k people are homeless (again, the point of the thread is that nobody believes this) because "it hasnt stayed fine for them" is not the winning argument for a lot of people that you might believe!

a great many people are caught up in the shortage of affordable housing, and the prioritisation of those that are prepared to do the least for themselves to remedy it but who are happy to make the most noise about it in the tabloids is extremely alienating to the rest of us.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Would you know how many of these unfortunate people couldn't pay rent so had no other choice but to go to the streets?

I dont, we dont gather info unless its needed.
    What relevance has your reply to my post?

I was adding accuracy to the figures. I'll be sure to seek your approval before quoting in future.

again, the idea that 10k people are homeless (again, the point of the thread is that nobody believes this) because "it hasnt stayed fine for them" is not the winning argument for a lot of people that you might believe!

a great many people are caught up in the shortage of affordable housing, and the prioritisation of those that are prepared to do the least for themselves to remedy it but who are happy to make the most noise about it in the tabloids is extremely alienating to the rest of us.

Don't read the tabloids.

I am caught up in the shortage of affordable housing but I don't blame people who are less well off than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I can guarantee that those looking for social housing don't give a flying duck about people who are paying through the nose in rent

Advertisement