Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More homeless fake news.

Options

Comments

optogirl wrote: »
    Don't read the tabloids.

I am caught up in the shortage of affordable housing but I don't blame people who are less well off than me.

i dont

and its not blame, its "not ahead of me, thanks"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I dont, we dont gather info unless its needed.

I was adding accuracy to the figures. I'll be sure to seek your approval before quoting in future.

You don't need my approval at all, but since the latest figures from the relevant department are subject to question how are you adding accuracy. What metric/data are you using that the state has no access to?

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/nothing-is-adding-up--charity-asks-for-clarification-on-decembers-drop-in-homelessness-numbers-979581.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Do we remember the. homeless guy who died outside the Dail a few years ago? The one where it turned out he'd been given at least one house by his family. So the poor guy had mental issues.

Before that there was the elderly couple who briefly lived in a tent outside the house they'd been evicted from for non payment of the mortgage. Who turned out to have ten other properties that they were renting out.

In each case there was the morale outrage of the week which died away when the full facts came out.

Cynicism is a rational response.

Ehh you forgot the other poster boy for the homeless.
    Unfortunately he died and the state, the government, the authorities and any of us naysayers were terrible for allowing it to happen and were being lambasted by the NGOs, the media and the eternal dogooder class.

Then suddenly it didn't really seem to matter to even them, when it was found out he was chucked out of Australia for being a paedo.

And of course the most famous homeless person was the one that spent the night in a Garda Station with her kids.
    And she was adopted straight away as the poster child for all that was wrong with Ireland.
    Inconveniently it turned out she was quite a frequent visitor to Garda stations.
    And she seemed to be more a prime example of all that is wrong with Ireland's career welfare entitlement system.

Things are rarely as straight forward as some would like you to believe.

There have always been homeless people, there always will be simply because some people are incapable to keeping a roof over their heads.

Now through bad luck and no fault of their own some people do become homeless and this number has increased over the last decade during the housing shortage.
    But the funny thing is you often find these people are the ones shouting least and trying their best to get back on their feet.
    I think it often that they are ashamed and don't want to be seen as a failure.

On the other hand the career welfarists have no such qualms about shouting from the rooftops about their exacting demands and entitlements.

I am not allowed discuss …

optogirl wrote: »
    Don't read the tabloids.

I am caught up in the shortage of affordable housing but I don't blame people who are less well off than me.

1. It isn't just the tabloids. The homeless issue is absolutely everywhere.
    2. Nobody is blaming the less well off. The blame is on those who have a vested interest in artificially inflating the numbers (the media, the various charities and the opposition etc.) as a means of furthering their own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I can guarantee that those looking for social housing don't give a flying duck about people who are paying through the nose in rent

*Looks at rent payment on bank statement*

"Who's fault is it that I'm paying eye-watering rent? Let's see... let's see... the gover...no, couldn't be them. Hmmm...my landlo... no, no, impossible. I have it! THE POVS! THE POVS! It was the Povs all along! In their stupid sleeping bags and emergency accomodation. That's why I have to fork out so much for this sh*tbox!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yurt! wrote: »
    *Looks at rent payment on bank statement*

"Who's fault is it that I'm paying eye-watering rent? Let's see... let's see... the gover...no, couldn't be them. Hmmm...my landlo... no, no, impossible. I have it! THE POVS! THE POVS! It was the Povs all along! In their stupid sleeping bags and emergency accomodation. That's why I have to fork out so much for this sh*tbox!"

I think you have comprehension difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Dublin and to a lesser extent Cork are the first port of call for homeless services. Would it be more appropriate to redistribute these services across the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You don't need my approval at all, but since the latest figures from the relevant department are subject to question how are you adding accuracy. What metric/data are you using that the state has no access to?

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/nothing-is-adding-up--charity-asks-for-clarification-on-decembers-drop-in-homelessness-numbers-979581.html

I am one of the people involved in physically counting rough sleepers. On a given night there is between 150 and 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

jmayo wrote: »
    And she was adopted straight away as the poster child for all that was wrong with Ireland.
    Inconveniently it turned out she was quite a frequent visitor to Garda stations.
    And she seemed to be more a prime example of all that is wrong with Ireland's career welfare entitlement system.

Adopted is right, shur the Irish taxpayer is her Mammy and Daddy and they've given her access to her own credit card. Complete and utter infantalisation.

I am one of the people involved in physically counting rough sleepers. On a given night there is between 150 and 250.

Well done you, had a look at the thread title mentions homeless and that is what my replies are based on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Anyone remember the Apollo House feeding frenzy, things went a little quiet in the media coverage after this one.

https://www.thejournal.ie/vigil-stephen-watson-conviction-3583811-Sep2017/

brucky wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Apollo House feeding frenzy, things went a little quiet in the media coverage after this one.

https://www.thejournal.ie/vigil-stephen-watson-conviction-3583811-Sep2017/

So attitudes changed on foot of new information? What's strange about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Biggest peddler of fake news this election is Leo.his NI homeless numbers debunked and the charities asking for answers on the alleged drop in homelessness.of and the massaged daft figures too.goebels would blush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

smurgen wrote: »
    Biggest peddler of fake news this election is Leo.his NI homeless numbers debunked and the charities asking for answers on the alleged drop in homelessness.of and the massaged daft figures too.goebels would blush!

Yeah sure it’s all the governments fault.

Blaze420 wrote: »

Who makes the policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Blaze420 wrote: »

Fudged/misleadingly downplayed figures by govt departments are the government's fault, correct and right.

Someone give that man a prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Who makes the policies?

And what policies would they be? Bad policy would surely affect more than 0.2% of the population?
    McMurphy wrote: »
    Fudged/misleadingly downplayed figures by govt departments are the government's fault, correct and right.

Someone give that man a prize.

Oh you mean those figures that nobody will actually tell the public truthfully as to how they are calculated and what the criteria is for inclusion? Better to shout about 10k homeless without context, it gets headlines better that way

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You are going to be hit with variations of ' beggars can't be choosers".

Yes I am sure of that!

So; a while ago some researchers were in Dublin, asking rough sleepers in doorways why they were there.. One young woman, pregnant, thrown out by her boyfriend, had been offered emergency accommodation ie a bed in a hostel. The girl in the next bed was dead, with a needle in her arm and the warden told her nothing would be done until morning.
    I would choose a doorway or a tent in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes I am sure of that!

So; a while ago some researchers were in Dublin, asking rough sleepers in doorways why they were there.. One young woman, pregnant, thrown out by her boyfriend, had been offered emergency accommodation ie a bed in a hostel. The girl in the next bed was dead, with a needle in her arm and the warden told her nothing would be done until morning.

Not a hope im believing that im sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...The girl in the next bed was dead, with a needle in her arm and the warden told her nothing would be done until morning...

Are you telling me that in Ireland, in the 21st Century, the functionaries at a hostel did not attend to a dead body in one of the beds until the following morning? No, no I can't believe it.

• Advertisement

Not a hope im believing that im sorry

Not the only such case. Hostels are not good places or well run in Ireland

jimgoose wrote: »
    Are you telling me that in Ireland, in the 21st Century, the functionaries at a hostel did not attend to a dead body in one of the beds until the following morning? No, no I can't believe it.

Yes that is exactly so. Many rough sleepers refuse to go near some of the hostels.

Yes I am sure of that!

[Citation needed]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

is there a problem with availability of affordable and social housing? Yes

is the problem of homelessness hammed up by vested interests, the charity industry, political parties in opposition? Yes

has the social housing system been gamed by its clients for decades? Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

genuine concern and a fair point well raised- kudos

families struggling with buying houses isnt much to do with hysteria over """""""10000""""""" """""homeless""""" tho, imo

Do you think theres a factory making homeless people?
    The economy is going great.
    We've high employment.
    So where's the disconnect with the rising numbers? Might it be the current 'way we do business' is broken?
    Landlords selling a private rental property one of the main drivers of family homelessness in Dublin
    A THIRD OF homeless families in Dublin lost their home when a landlord decided to sell the property or move back into it, according to new research published today.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-families-8-4680518-Jun2019/

focus ireland research, for the purposes of the research the term "homeless" was held to apply to over 10k people

two pinches of salt, then. each pinch to be delivered in a lorry.

edit- im also struggling, but not struggling very hard tbh given yr record, to see where the point is.

im not saying housing is good in this country- its ****ed and fg bear responsibility.

build houses. tens of thousands of houses. social houses.

im saying hysteria and bolloxology over 10k homeless is just that, and helps nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

All of those people in doorways in Dublin, they all have mental health and addiction issues. What is the solution really? To give each of them a flat or something? Or should they be in care somewhere involuntarily? The whole thing is so complex.

The majority of homeless people on the streets are there due to mental health/ addiction. They would be incapable of running a home. If these people have children, they should be taken off them by Tusla until the parents sort out their metal health/ addiction issues and are actually capable of raising a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The majority of homeless people on the streets are there due to mental health/ addiction. They would be incapable of running a home. If these people have children, they should be taken off them by Tusla until the parents sort out their metal health/ addiction issues and are actually capable of raising a child.
    All of those people in doorways in Dublin, they all have mental health and addiction issues. What is the solution really? To give each of them a flat or something? Or should they be in care somewhere involuntarily? The whole thing is so complex.

Correct. Conflating rough sleepers and "ten thousand homeless!!" is disingenuous to say the least . The vast majority of rough sleepers should be classed under HSE statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyone ever see that heroin addict begging in dublin who pretends to cry, really loud? it's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

Advertisement