Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More homeless fake news.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Maybe they are pissed off at the inequality of the welfare system against those who work and pay their way? I have to pay 100e a month for medication I need, they get it for what - a bank busting 50c or 1e?

I have to work 5 days a week to receive a paycheck at the end of the month that is littered in taxes - taxes that are used to fund these ****ing wasters sailing by in life without a care in the world.

Working people have every right to be pissed off or comment on this.

It's a therapist you need, not a tax cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Yurt! wrote: »
    We hear this quite a bit. Who's making shedloads of cash out of this? Are we talking staff at the Peter McVerry trust getting paid 35k a year? Would you like a homeless alleviation charity to pay full-time staff poverty wages?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/irish-charity-ceo-salaries-spending-best-practice-2659408-Mar2016/%3famp=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/irish-charity-sector-is-being-drained-by-duplication-1.2717375%3fmode=amp

There’s loads of stuff about this all over the internet. Irish charities are coining it. It’s hard to believe so much public money is being poured into these NGOs and the standard of the homeless accommodation is still so poor.
    Would you not wonder where it all goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

splinter65 wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/irish-charity-ceo-salaries-spending-best-practice-2659408-Mar2016/%3famp=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/irish-charity-sector-is-being-drained-by-duplication-1.2717375%3fmode=amp

There’s loads of stuff about this all over the internet. Irish charities are coining it. It’s hard to believe so much public money is being poured into these NGOs and the standard of the homeless accommodation is still so poor.
    Would you not wonder where it all goes?

Eh, the two homeless related charities there (Depaul and Focus) have CEO salaries of 82k and 114k respectively, not exactly a kings ransom for organizations with headcounts of over 300. There's spotty coders in their mid 20s in Grand Canal Dock's on more than that. I'm not sure you buttressed your point all that well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Eh, the two homeless related charities there (Depaul and Focus) have CEO salaries of 82k and 114k respectively, not exactly a kings ransom for organizations with headcounts of over 300. There's spotty coders in their mid 20s in Grand Canal Dock's on more than that. I'm not sure you buttressed your point all that well there.

Spotty coders in their 20s are on nowhere near that.

I dont give to the SVP because the money goes to people who dont really need it a lot of the times.

I dont mind helping out the real genuine cases but not the ****ing wasters. No more.

I think people who are working full time and whose taxes fund these people to sit around all day on their holes have every right to “whinge” about it.

The real lol happens when those welfare people start shouting about gubbermint this and that - when the lazy bastards have never contributed a ****ing red cent to the country.
    Fully agree. Im sick of it too. Let them stay in their tent until they try and improve their situation themselves. Then give them support. But stop giving people money for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

optogirl wrote: »
    Christ, is this still a thing? Nobody wants or indeed gets a 'free home'. No doubt they are also abandoning the brand new buggy & car they got the moment they stepped off the boat in order to get even brander newer ones. Stop reading tabloids.

Could you please tell us how this couple paid their 1350e per month rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Can I take it all the people whinging about the homeless conspiracy and foreva homes won't be voting FG? Or is it the classic, 'sure the others I'd be worse'?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Maybe they are pissed off at the inequality of the welfare system against those who work and pay their way? I have to pay 100e a month for medication I need, they get it for what - a bank busting 50c or 1e?

I have to work 5 days a week to receive a paycheck at the end of the month that is littered in taxes - taxes that are used to fund these ****ing wasters sailing by in life without a care in the world.

Working people have every right to be pissed off or comment on this.

They just seem angry in general. You'd wonder how they cope in workplaces tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Firstly im too late, this game has to start in your teens when your ma teaches you how to game the system, secondly im not a woman or the kind of lad that goes round throwing kids into half the dole queue, thirdly I believe people have a responsibility to work and contribute to their families and support themselves so I find it morally wrong , lastly it would only get me a gaf next to those people I want to get as far away from as possible

If only we had some sort of system to fix those people . Get them to contribute. A business.like a laundry or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

McMurphy wrote: »
    Anything to say about Leo completely trying to mislead the public on the debate show the other night when he said vulture and Cuckoo funds only represent 1 or 2 percent of all transactions in property last year?

Problem is, pat Kenny pulled him up on it yesterday morning, and Leo had no counter for him.

Kenny said he was being completely disingenuous, because transactions isn't a fair metric if you're buying in bulk as these organisations do.

Simply put, a family buying a semi detached house are registered as buying a property, and a vulture fund buying an entire complex with 4 or 500 apartments is also registered as buying a property.

Pat Kenny said they own in and around the mid 40% of new builds recently provided, and they're only offering them out on long term renting/leasing plans.

Why would Leo want to downplay it do you think?

yup I was listening and I think Pat let him off the hook slightly..it was swiftly moved on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I did some research on these boards some months back about the dreadful wastage on salaries in homeless charities, the duplication of functions, and the cut off the top to fundraisers.

Quango heaven is what the property industry is.

smurgen wrote: »
    If only we had some sort of system to fix those people . Get them to contribute. A business.like a laundry or something.

Its called school.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Must have taken her a while to get set up in her tent with the big sad face for the cameras, another scrounger looking to get everything for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »

Ah no, we could get a local militia to sort them out, kneecap the thieves, exile the child abusers, execute anyone who disagreed.....

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ah no, we could get a local militia to sort them out, kneecap the thieves, exile the child abusers, execute anyone who disagreed.....

The church? Supported by FG FF like always.

That's harsh, I think Drew Harris has done well considering.
    Hopefully Tusla gets fixed too. No more false claims or ministers 'not seeing' letters about abuse.

Well we know FG and FF certainly wont do anything to child abusers so that'll cheer ya up blanch!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well we know FG and FF certainly wont do anything to child abusers so that'll cheer ya up blanch!

Thankfully the names of the victims aren't made public or theyd be used time and again to score points about homelessness or social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Like the Catholic church? Could we cut a deal with them like FF done with the church when they capped compensation?

i love the equivalence drawn between child abusers in the church and the armed wing of sinn fein

have ye been authorised to make this rather unflattering comparison boys? ware lest ye be called in.

in any case, oh god im embarrassed for ye that ye think its a comparison that somehow lands a hit on the government

in a thread about how ridiculous the stated figures for homelessness are and why people are right to be cynical about them

have ye nothing better to do with a day left before polls open

• Advertisement

i love the equivalence drawn between child abusers in the church and the armed wing of sinn fein

have ye been authorised to make this rather unflattering comparison boys? ware lest ye be called in.

in any case, oh god im embarrassed for ye that ye think its a comparison that somehow lands a hit on the government

in a thread about how ridiculous the stated figures for homelessness are and why people are right to be cynical about them

have ye nothing better to do with a day left before polls open

Dry your eyes. Its the same as the FG acolytes spreading the SF=IRA shìte at every opportunity. Altho the child abuse is probably too recent for FG fans to acknowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

With all the help and generous welfare there is no way that people like these 2 are really living in a tent unless that's what they chose to do.

Many people live off the grid but of course this is a marvelous spin to get that forever home that they'll never need to pay for.

Most likely they'll need 2 homes as I highly doubt they'll be together forever to be honest and then more resources needed as he will need to be housed, obviously if it turns out that way.

Homelessness and all the charities is terrible and there are way too many.

HSE needs to be sorted and then take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Naos wrote: »
    Could you please tell us how this couple paid their 1350e per month rent?

They're not. You're paying it.
    They were getting HAP.

They were interviewed by Niall Boylan. Have to say I like him - pulls no punches.

He hasn't worked in 10 years since he hurt his hand in Chadwicks!
    On disability. I mean c'mon. Reality check needed.

Partner to support + baby on the way = get off your h@le and get a job!!!

If he needs support/training it's there but there should be no free lunches let alone free houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Something I don't understand is why we just accept that hostels are not an option due to 'danger' etc. If they were run properly with zero tolerance of substance abuse and anti social behaviour (violence/theft etc) surely there'd be less rough sleepers?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Something I don't understand is why we just accept that hostels are not an option due to 'danger' etc. If they were run properly with zero tolerance of substance abuse and anti social behaviour (violence/theft etc) surely there'd be less rough sleepers?

But then where would all the addicts go? Genuine question, by the way - you can't just say "zero tolerance" and expect an addict to just stop like that.

It's a total mess of epic proportions - the biggest single thing I think that could be done would be to amalgamate all the myriad services under one umbrella and consolidate resources - of which there are plenty, by the sounds of it. But I don't think the vested interests will ever allow that to happen, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You'd think if there was zero tolerance there'd be even more people sleeping rough and not in hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

You'd think if there was zero tolerance there'd be even more people sleeping rough and not in hostels.

Serious suggestion - a 2 tier hostel.
    Upstairs only for clean clients - random drug testing!
    Downstairs - all others

When you arrive a drug test determines where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Serious suggestion - a 2 tier hostel.
    Upstairs only for clean clients - random drug testing!
    Downstairs - all others

When you arrive a drug test determines where you go.
    that would be dehumanising

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Millionaire claims he has solution to the housing crisis.

Genius or b***dy ridiculous - You decide!

https://metro.co.uk/video/millionaire-solves-housing-crisis-2103944/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Pronto63 wrote: »
    They're not. You're paying it.
    They were getting HAP.

They were interviewed by Niall Boylan. Have to say I like him - pulls no punches.

He hasn't worked in 10 years since he hurt his hand in Chadwicks!
    On disability. I mean c'mon. Reality check needed.

Partner to support + baby on the way = get off your h@le and get a job!!!

If he needs support/training it's there but there should be no free lunches let alone free houses.
    Those two scammers were lying through their teeth and they could not keep their stories straight. It's an obvious con job. I'm surprised that RTE didn't take snapshots of the once-again pregnant unemployed mother peering out of the 'flimsy' tent with the rain pouring down.

While there are hundreds of real homeless people in this country who are deserving of all the assistance possible, the scammers in the first post are representative of a sizeable portion of the 10,000 free forever home seekers. What is astounding to me is how homes for these 10,000 seems to be the top election item for all the political parties. How about affordable homes for the workers who are paying billions of euros for the new 100,000 social homes coming on the market in the next 5 years?

Advertisement