Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More homeless fake news.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

People are very naive if they expect the government to do anything about the housing crisis.

The government have deliberately caused the crisis.

If you want different than vote different.

Irish people really are slow on the uptake, and I'm Irish myself. Ashamed to be so if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭boetstark

Yurt! wrote: »
    At no point was this woman ever homeless. There is no such thing as homeless people. Fine Gael TDs have personally built 376'000 homes this year, and they are affordable. Something, something Venezuela. Vote Blueshirt this Saturday.

Listen to her interview on radio, sums up the true story. Helpless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

i love the equivalence drawn between child abusers in the church and the armed wing of sinn fein

have ye been authorised to make this rather unflattering comparison boys? ware lest ye be called in.

in any case, oh god im embarrassed for ye that ye think its a comparison that somehow lands a hit on the government

in a thread about how ridiculous the stated figures for homelessness are and why people are right to be cynical about them

have ye nothing better to do with a day left before polls open

You deflecting from decades of institutional abuse covered up by the FF/FG state and the church to try score a dig at Sinn Fein? That's pretty poor.

Back to FF/FG's other shame.
    Good observation made today by a Labour councillor. 'We've tourists staying in houses that locals should be living in, (Air B&B's) and local people living in hotels where tourists should be".
    it's still a thing

because if the contribution you pay for your home is provided to you for nothing

then its free

to you

not to the taxpayer, who pays for it

and then pays extra because of your home being free so competition is increased in an already blown market

and then lives a hundred miles away because you deserve to be on a handy bus route in a handy area, and the punter can only afford to live in the back arse of commuter land

so yes, its free, yes its still a thing, yes these points are always raised by someone protesting the definition and no those same people never really address the above response.

What about the tax payer in social housing? Who'll get you your latte if he's shipped off to Sligo living above a shop, and if said shop isn't hiring will sit on the dole?

What we will get is cities where the property is owned by a handful and only the high income middle can afford to rent, with much of the population scattered around the country. That's bad planning if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anywhere to listen to that interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

People are very naive if they expect the government to do anything about the housing crisis.

The government have deliberately caused the crisis.

If you want different than vote different.

Irish people really are slow on the uptake, and I'm Irish myself. Ashamed to be so if I'm honest.

Ashamed of what? Pure sentimental nonsense. That’s real tinfoil hat stuff - how do you think the government “deliberately” caused this? And what is voting different supposed to mean - an SF vote who are going to use the magic money tree to **** the working men and women to further soften the bed of those who have contributed **** all to this country? I’m not talking all homeless here by the way in case anybody has comprehension issues, but I do not believe a total of 10k is a genuine figure of people genuinely in need minus the clear as day spoofers also counted.

• Advertisement

I'm ashamed that the Irish are forced to live on the streets by their own government in order that the government can house foreigners with completely incompatible belief systems.

It's totally stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Something I don't understand is why we just accept that hostels are not an option due to 'danger' etc. If they were run properly with zero tolerance of substance abuse and anti social behaviour (violence/theft etc) surely there'd be less rough sleepers?

there are lots of dry hostels without these issues and guess what, the rough sleepers choose drugs over a bed every time.

there are lots of dry hostels without these issues and guess what, the rough sleepers choose drugs over a bed every time.

They do love the aul' sleeping on the street so they do. More believable than a crisis both sides of the Dail recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It should go without saying that we need better support for addicts; injection centres being the first step.

There will ALWAYS be rough sleepers; there are in every city in the world. But the lack of well run hostels where people can feel safe is a major issue.

If people are willing to choose drugs over a bed we should allow them both.

Professor Nutt speculates that GHB is a safer drug than alcohol in some circumstances, and that it might be acceptable to alcoholics as a substitute for alcohol as its similar to alcohol apparently. It has fewer downsides.

Cannabis should definitely be allowed.

We shouldn't turn our backs on these people because they use drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sorry for ignorance...

Can anyone link to a site that has deeper information on homeless numbers, teh demographic of impacted people and breakdown of the actual causes of homelessness?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It should go without saying that we need better support for addicts; injection centres being the first step.

There will ALWAYS be rough sleepers; there are in every city in the world. But the lack of well run hostels where people can feel safe is a major issue.

And what makes existing ones unsafe. You cant have an environment where you can guarantee safety of sleep but addicts arent likely to shun in favour of openly posessing and consuming heroin.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Sorry for ignorance...

Can anyone link to a site that has deeper information on homeless numbers, teh demographic of impacted people and breakdown of the actual causes of homelessness?

It's an easy google:

https://www.focusireland.ie/resource-hub/about-homelessness/

https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/homelessness/other/homelessness-data

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/number-of-irish-homeless-up-by-117-in-october-38750392.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/large-minority-of-children-falling-through-the-gaps-unicef-report-1.3680394

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mcverry-governments-homeless-plan-not-working-958827.html

FYI: Eoghan Murphy changes the definition and massages the numbers so best take in a few different sources.

A lot of homeless are coming from the rental sector where Landlords have sold up or rents are unmanageable. There's a small number with addiction issues too.

Based on the metrics we've used/been using we break records yearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

A lot of homeless are coming from the rental sector where Landlords have sold up or rents are unmanageable.

How much of the "unmanageable" rents are being caused by HAP propping up the private rented sector? Are rents artifically high due to the state funnelling huge amounts of money into the sector. Dublin City Council spent 15 million on HAP last year. Is the private renter paying more purely because the state is throwing money at HAP.

Genuine question that i don't know the answer to. For example, if the state dropped the rate of HAP tomorrow across the board would landlords be forced to drop the rents to a figure commensurate with this rate or have to evict thousands of tenants at the same time.

The whole HAP thing just seems to be an artificial inflation of rent prices

Paulzx wrote: »
    How much of the "unmanageable" rents are being caused by HAP propping up the private rented sector? Are rents artifically high due to the state funnelling huge amounts of money into the sector. Dublin City Council spent 15 million on HAP last year. Is the private renter paying more purely because the state is throwing money at HAP.

Genuine question that i don't know the answer to. For example, if the state dropped the rate of HAP tomorrow across the board would landlords be forced to drop the rents to a figure commensurate with this rate or have to evict thousands of tenants at the same time.

The whole HAP thing just seems to be an artificial inflation of rent prices

Possibly yes. A great deal of the new private builds are build to rent. They are feeding off the crisis. With state/LA aid to renters be it rent supplement or HAP, private landlords/companies can set any price they like I'd imagine.
    That's why we need build housing stock to bail out the strapped tax payer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Based on the metrics we've used/been using we break records yearly.

And it is no surprise that we break records yearly, as people fly into Dublin from outside the EU and declare themselves homeless upon arrival and are added to the "homeless" list after receiving emergency accommodation.
    That, coupled with an unending supply of offspring of people who chose not to work, who upon reaching childbearing age decide that Irish workers should pay for their homes too.

Irrespective of who is in government, this is not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

that would be dehumanising

More dehumanising than sleeping in a doorway?

Kivaro wrote: »
    And it is no surprise that we break records yearly, as people fly into Dublin from outside the EU and declare themselves homeless upon arrival and are added to the "homeless" list after receiving emergency accommodation.
    That, coupled with an unending supply of offspring of people who chose not to work, who upon reaching childbearing age decide that Irish workers should pay for their homes too.

Irrespective of who is in government, this is not sustainable.

Have you stats? I think the asylum seekers and the like are not included on the homeless lists, I could very well be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Have you stats? I think the asylum seekers and the like are not included on the homeless lists, I could very well be wrong.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0401/1039821-homelessness-dublin-city-council-report/

The Dublin Region Homeless Executive says 21% of the new families presenting as homeless last year were non-EU citizens

The report said that non-EU families present a significant challenge, as some are here illegally or awaiting residency status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Thanks Jingle.

Matt, I was not talking about asylum seekers.
    With over 1 in 5 families on the homeless list in Dublin from outside the EU, the limited housing availability becomes even more stretched.
    As I said earlier, we cannot sustain building social housing for everyone who wants to come to Ireland. Even if we do spend the many billions of our tax euros building 100,000 new social homes in the next five years, there is an unlimited supply of people from outside the EU who will keep the homeless numbers consistently high.

Unfortunately, we have an inordinate amount of NGO and "charities" whose very existence depends on having a constant stream of homeless people available, so this strange anomaly of finding/building homes for anyone who arrives on our doorsteps from outside the country and declaring themselves homeless ..... will continue.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Thanks Jingle.

Matt, I was not talking about asylum seekers.
    With over 1 in 5 families on the homeless list in Dublin from outside the EU, the limited housing availability becomes even more stretched.
    As I said earlier, we cannot sustain building social housing for everyone who wants to come to Ireland. Even if we do spend the many billions of our tax euros building 100,000 new social homes in the next five years, there is an unlimited supply of people from outside the EU who will keep the homeless numbers consistently high.

Unfortunately, we have an inordinate amount of NGO and "charities" whose very existence depends on having a constant stream of homeless people available, so this strange anomaly of finding/building homes for anyone who arrives on our doorsteps from outside the country and declaring themselves homeless ..... will continue.

That's a policy issue, in that we can and do have a points system based on time on the list and need. Always open to change.
    My point, and I dont care if you're Irish born or French, working tax payers shouldn't need state aid to put a roof over their head, but when they do we are building not buying or leasing.

That's a policy issue, in that we can and do have a points system based on time on the list and need. Always open to change.
    My point, and I dont care if you're Irish born or French, working tax payers shouldn't need state aid to put a roof over their head, but when they do we are building not buying or leasing.

Whats your opinion on non working, non tax payers getting a roof over their head?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

optogirl wrote:
    I think it would go a long way, yes. Most people presenting as homeless are coming directly from the private rental sector which simply means they can't afford a rental increase/landlord is selling up or not renewing & the tenants can't afford to buy a house. If I didn't have family around me and my landlord decided he was selling up, I'd be f*cked. Husband and I have 3 jobs between us. House are not affordable but that is not the fault of poor people.

Back this up please

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Whats your opinion on non working, non tax payers getting a roof over their head?

No issues but when it is a lovely house, fully fitted out and then they can afford a car or two and insurance and everything else and still have money to go the pub.....

I'm working since 15, everything I have I've worked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

No issues but when it is a lovely house, fully fitted out and then they can afford a car or two and insurance and everything else and still have money to go the pub.....

I'm working since 15, everything I have I've worked for.

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yep.

Even worse when they're living in a house the same price as my own or a bigger kick in the balls and teeth is when it's a house worth at least double, in Dublin, beside where I work and yet I have to commute by car 1ht10 minutes to work at 5 am or before.... Otherwise I'll be sitting in 2 hours traffic at least. Much more depending.

john4321 wrote: »

Broke his finger 10 year ago and on disability since!

Love how presenter keeps suggesting that they try less central areas!

Broke his finger 10 year ago and on disability since!

Love how presenter keeps suggesting that they try less central areas!

The silence when he suggested maybe the chap should you know get a job.

Grrrrr.

Why do people swallow these nonsense stories.

Drill into this 10,000 homeless nonsnese and a lot of politicians, media, radio presenters, charities etc would have massive egg on their face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The silence when he suggested maybe the chap should you know get a job.

Grrrrr.

Why do people swallow these nonsense stories.

Drill into this 10,000 homeless nonsnese and a lot of politicians, media, radio presenters, charities etc would have massive egg on their face.

Hmm.. it would seem a LOT of people disagree with you and the majority of AH posters who seem incensed at people who know there's a housing/homeless.

People have spoken, it won SF the election! :cool:

Advertisement