Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Heavy snow in Arklow now
    Its actually dinner plating it
    Breeze is northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Snow has turned more to sleet in Carlow town now flakes are a lot smaller than earlier

Its actually heavier since I tweeted this and starting to stick

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1226820731872391168?s=19

Settling and heavy

Settling and heavy
    Whole place is white now

1.3c

Dp -2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just on a imby basis for those of us down south, temps and dew points should drop a good bit by late afternoon and we should be good for snow (wet at least) from then on. A few models seem to have decent precipitation around Cork at ca. 3/4pm. Outside chance that might fall as white gold....

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Back snowing heavy in Carlow town, sleet for five mins and now back to big flakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Heavy snow between Bunclody and Enniscorthy in Wexford not sticking but heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sjb25 wrote: »
    Heavy snow between Bunclody and Enniscorthy in Wexford not sticking but heavy

Well it's heavy,sleety rain in Enniscorthy. Utterly miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

We've just had a brief flurry of snow in Galway City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Light dusting of snow in Collon Co Louth this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Well it's heavy,sleety rain in Enniscorthy. Utterly miserable.

Starting to change to sleet now was nice for 15min :)

Very heavy in Arklow and settling
    Big flakes
    Currently 0.9c
    Dewpoint-2c

Place is very white now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Well... what a slushy, marginal mess. Despite temps remaining around 2c we have struggled to remain as snow here.

The snow line is about 200m and rising. Above 300m there is a proper covering.

Tonight may bring snow but I’m not confident! It’s surprising how marginal it is. I guess the Atlantic saturated that lower layer, despite the cold temperatures.

Knock gusting 41 knots with a dew point of -4 and a temperature of 5 degrees. Windchill!

That’s odd. Dew points are close to 0c here and it is very marginal!

• Advertisement

Letterkenny is built on two sides of a valley, lower parts of the town are pretty much at sea level, higher parts around 200m. I'm at around 90m I think.

Snow mostly melted again now though some nice heavy hail squalls keeping the place white

Thanks. It’s turned very marginal with sleety snow at 2c.

Tonight will probably be when it turns wintry proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Am hearing there's heavy snow on Cork to Dublin motorway near Thurles see corksafetyalerts

The cold spell we had about two weeks ago was much better than this despite the warmer air? Bit odd.

We managed an inch or two at sea level.

Is the marginality down to the strong winds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Am hearing there's heavy snow on Cork to Dublin motorway near Thurles see corksafetyalerts

I really hope your saying told ya so 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The cold spell we had about two weeks ago was much better than this despite the warmer air? Bit odd.

We managed an inch or two at sea level.

Its early yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Bad snow in Kilkenny apparently. Heard from my brother that they are sending the kids home from school

US2 wrote: »
    Its early yet.

It is, but I expected the showers to be of snow given that it is only 2c. It looks to me that there has been a lot of mixing/saturation and modification in this air mass.

brettmirl wrote: »
    Bad snow....

No such thing!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

THUNDER!!!!! And gone very very dark..... West Mayo offshore.. had a little hail a while back....HUGE hailstones now..... OH MY!

More thunder and the power on and off..

It is, but I expected the showers to be of snow given that it is only 2c. It looks to me that there has been a lot of mixing and modification in this air mass.

Hi, I think you are in the North West. If so dew points are actually higher there than in a swathe below you from the mid west to the east coast.

Hi, I think you are in the North West. If so dew points are actually higher there than in a swathe below you from the mid west to the east coast.

I have looked at the radar and it’s a real mix everywhere. I don’t think the cold air has fully embedded.

Looks to be marginal in Scotland too.

Dew points falling as showers clear here but rising within the showers. 🀔

Forecast does show heavy snow for me from 3am tonight but heavy rain before that. So maybe a warm sector?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Knock gusting 41 knots with a dew point of -4 and a temperature of 5 degrees. Windchill!
    That’s odd. Dew points are close to 0c here and it is very marginal!

It's wet-bulb temperature that's important, not dewpoint. A dewpoint of -4 with a temperature of +5 means a wbt of around +1.4. WBT above about 0.5 °C is usually the cut-off, except for heavy showers.

Here are the current wbts. Knock's is currently +1.3 °C.

https://weather.us/observations/ireland/wet-bulb-temperature/20200210-1100z.html

It's wet-bulb temperature that's important, not dewpoint. A dewpoint of -4 with a temperature of +5 means a wbt of around +1.4. WBT above about 0.5 °C is usually the cut-off, except for heavy showers.

Here are the current wbts. Knock's is currently +1.3 °C.

https://weather.us/observations/ireland/wet-bulb-temperature/20200210-1100z.html

Yup, it’s incredibly marginal. What do you think of our chances tonight?

Yup, it’s incredibly marginal. What do you think of our chances tonight?

Better

• Advertisement

In these sorts of air masses, no matter the situation, the cut off always seems to be 200/300m... why always that level exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Highly unlikely there will be much snow in cork city today , maybe a passing shower. Latest TAF features hail or rain showers. Temp at current is also about 6/7 degrees with a few point of around 3 degrees. North cork however has a chance along with the west of the county.

We live in hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

A few thunderstorms popping up in the west at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Timistry wrote: »
    A few thunderstorms popping up in the west at the moment.

Lots of Thunder in Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

wheres all the technical stuff gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Durrow
    xso8sVv.jpg

The GFS is still slightly undergoing the thickness values this morning. The 12Z Valentia sounding gave thickness there of 526 dam but the 06Z GFS forecast had it at 524 dam. This cold bias will likely only get larger when the cold air arrives later. The ECM has it more in line with observations for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A few photos and videos of the conditions up at the Sally Gap in Wicklow on this twitter thread. (Click on the tweet to see other pics & videos)

https://twitter.com/IrelandSkycam/status/1226859370732040194?s=20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's been dry here in Meath since yesterday evening, but looks to be a shower approaching at last.

raining now with bits of sleet mixed in with it.

• Advertisement

The net weather radar shows rain and sleet over Southern Ireland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mace Head gusting 122 km/h in 1300 reports. Malin Head gusting 107 km/h and Sherkin gusting 104 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Much colder from around 3pm....All snow by this evening!!

The warm sector is approaching Donegal.

The GFS has the 516 dam line making it as far as the east coast tomorrow. The ECM doesn't get it further east than 20W, about 800 km of a difference. One is more right than the other. Which is it?

GFS
    gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eu_5.png

ECM
    ecm0125_nat_vo500_gh500_gh500-1000_2020021000_036.png

Didn't you say yesterday that we were going to be the wrong side of marginal? Yet much of the Midlands is seeing heavy and indeed lying snow in parts

No I didn't, I highlighted how close to marginal it was for lowest levels. I said higher up would do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

No I didn't, I highlighted how close to marginal it was for lowest levels. I said higher up would do well.

What’s your thoughts on the west for tonight and tomorrow u only mentioned East?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Didn't you say yesterday that we were going to be the wrong side of marginal? Yet much of the Midlands is seeing heavy and indeed lying snow in parts

Just about on the wrong side of marginal in North Kildare. Recent moderate to heavy snow shower combined with strong winds but too warm to stick. Can see it stuck to the grass on the hill bedside me, less than 30 metres higher up. I'd say snow line is above 150m to 200m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rougies wrote: »
    UKV, part of the "Unified model" (UKMO model suite) which Euro4 is also a part of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Model

Thanks for that. Great info! That UKV model, of which they seem to also use in their video forecasts, seems to be much more accurate than the Euro based 'Harmonie', and most certainly with regards wind and rainfall. I think the Harmonie's strength lies more with temperature.

New Moon

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What’s your thoughts on the west for tonight and tomorrow u only mentioned East?

Almost everywhere should see at least some snow falling, sticking inland above about 100 m. That trough coming into the north tonight does have a slight warm core to it, so hard to know which way that will go. Certainly above 200 m should see a lot.

Almost everywhere should see at least some snow falling, sticking inland above about 100 m. That trough coming into the north tonight does have a slight warm core to it, so hard to know which way that will go. Certainly above 200 m should see a lot.

The trough will raise the freezing levels. It has already started to warm up so the next snow should be in the early hours.

This always seems to happen with westerlies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement