Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Speak Now wrote: »
    I was thanking it had ramped up in last half hour but report from 8 to half 8 only showed 47 and 49kts. When was 57kts recorded?

It'll be in the metar as opposed to half hour reports

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Live Mace Head webcam.

http://140.203.204.250:8650

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It'll be in the metar as opposed to half hour reports

Those figures were from the metars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Live Mace Head webcam.

http://140.203.204.250:8650

Weirdly boards seems to cut off the 8650 port suffix on that URL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Squall line passing through just gave a rain rate of 100.2mm/hr, a new station record here, impressive stuff.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

That was a ripper alright!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROME is showing winds to have more or less peaked along Atlantic coasts. Showing some of the strongest winds to occur in parts of the Eastern half of the country this morning, more convective in nature perhaps.

HARMONIE nothing of significance in the E.

HIRLAM showing strong winds running along the South this morning for a time.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Weirdly boards seems to cut off the 8650 port suffix on that URL

That's annoying. Went to edit the post and the 8650 is still there. Not the only thing wrong with this site, but that's for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Happy it was a short hell here in blessington...
    Dont remember such intensity ever

AROME is showing winds to have more or less peaked along Atlantic coasts. Showing some of the strongest winds to occur in parts of the Eastern half of the country this morning, more convective in nature perhaps.

HARMONIE nothing of significance in the E.

HIRLAM showing strong winds running along the South this morning for a time.

The gradient is slightly less tight than predicted. The 996 and 1024 isobars are still in the correct locations (south Wales and northwest Iberia, respectively) as forecast, but with Ciara's centre 4 hPa higher it's diluted the low-level jet slightly. Still the windiest few minutes in a long time here in Celbridge but I'd imagine still only gusting about 100 km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭pad199207

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Happy it was a short hell here in blessington...
    Dont remember such intensity ever

Indeed. I’ve never seen such a squall like it before. Trees have come down with it, and gutters came off houses up the road.
    Horrific conditions for this part of the country. It’s a pity I didn’t have a trampoline to throw out into it 🙄

Oh and a 295mm/hr rain rate to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Clear skies here outside Newport, Mayo. Max gust recorded on my cheap weather station was 98kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Torrential downpour in cork city at the moment, heaviest I've seen in a while! (Was whiteout but rain whiteout? Haha) Strong gusts of wind hitting the house too. Was woken up a few times during the night with them

She's making herself known anyway

That squall only produced a gust of 48 knots at Casement in the past hour.

Valentia reporting gust 62 kt at 9 am but obviously earlier in that hour as current 10-minute mean is only 27 kt.

PsMETAR VALE 090900Z AUTO 25027G62KT 9000NDV FEW023/// BKN060/// BKN120/// 12/07 0981 MSL RERA=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Torrential downpour in cork city at the moment, heaviest I've seen in a while!

It's was mad. Wildest 5 minutes of rain I've seen in a long while

EDIT: This was it https://twitter.com/Alanpbarry/status/1226433864245170176?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Squall line just reaching Waterford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Looking at radar and satellite images, I find the clearly defined squall lines a particularly interesting feature of this system. Another incoming one lining up off the west coast now.

Strictly speaking these are not squall lines in the true sense of the term. It's become common to throw this term around (even Joanna Donnelly last night) but it really refers to a line of thunderstorms along or ahead of a cold front and has a certain mechanism to it. What's coming behind is a showery trough.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Valentia gusting 115 km/h in 0900 reports.

Casement recorded 13.1mm between 8 and 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Looking at radar and satellite images, I find the clearly defined squall lines a particularly interesting feature of this system. Another incoming one lining up off the west coast now.

Looks like another may be forming off Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice convective line feature along the S /SE

oViGoEG.png

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1226442002318925824?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Strong intermittent gusts and some more sustained wind out here and the sun keeps trying to break through.

rafales_uk_lpq2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Think the story of this storm has been the rain rate- i am seeing places flooded that have not been for a long time. Hopefully we get some heavy snow showers over night that accumulate- the wetness of the ground won't be an issue, if the air temperature is low enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Torrential downpour in cork city at the moment, heaviest I've seen in a while! (Was whiteout but rain whiteout? Haha) Strong gusts of wind hitting the house too. Was woken up a few times during the night with them

She's making herself known anyway

Sounds like a down burst or micro burst?

Everywhere well down on gusts in the 10 am reports except Malin Head and Sherkin, 61 and 58 kt, respectively. Malin Head looks horrible, 1.4 km visibility in heavy rain, mean wind 46 kt. It may top 70 kt gust in the next couple of hours but then it's up to convection to give us gusts.

PsMETAR MALI 091000Z AUTO 25046G61KT 1400NDV +RA BKN026/// 07/06 0962 MSL=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well by Monday night and Tuesday in particular we will have -8 upper temperatures over us so it should feel really bitter. Snow looks a certainty but how much and will it lie is the issue. I would think it will mainly lie on high ground but considering much of Cork is hilly it looks like an interesting commute home on Monday night. Met Eireann have already said they will issue warnings later today for the event. If Mondays disturbance were to fall primarily as snow we could be looking at an orange snow warning for the South?!......though I guess Met Eireann will deem yellow as being sufficent. It's not often that Ireland will be colder than Scotland but the next 48hours the coldest place in Western Europe is ourselves!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

Wind really starting to pick up now here in The Netherlands. First coastal stations reporting gusts over 100km/h. Ciara will peak here late afternoon early evening. Models showing a good bit of purple and tight gradients over the North sea. Wouldn't surprise me if somewhere in the NW a 150km/h gust will be reported later today. Will be out to the beach this afternoon. Might send some live storm update later.

https://oud.weerplaza.nl/gdata/10min/GMT_FXFX_latest.png

Advertisement