Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old tax discs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I’ve a boot full of my old tyres

I have a tyre full of my old boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Never understood the logic in keeping the old tax discs or just sticking the new one in front of the old ones on the windscreen. Do people keep their old insurance discs and certs too?

Just make sure to recycle the old ones too. We don't want Greta throwing another tantrum on twitter....

Yes. I do that - and it saved me a significant amount of money when I could proof 10 years of consecutive insurance history.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

grogi wrote: »
    Yes. I do that - and it saved me a significant amount of money when I could proof 10 years of consecutive insurance history.

a here your just trolling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

3102derek wrote: »
    a here your just trolling now.

Believe what you want. They land in an envelope, just besides the envelope the service invoices and another one with old tax disc.

The tax disc history doesn't matter if you are trading the car in, but in a private sale it does. Stamped service book matters, invoices matter, brand of currently installed tyres matter etc. All contribute a little bit to convince the buyer they are onto something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If I was buying a car and the lad selling it started on about old tax disks, I’d be mentally filing him in the special section and keeping an eye on all exits while dealing with him.
    Christmas tree air fresheners op,you can keep them alright.rumour has it if you gather a hundred in a bunch hanging on the rear view mirror you are entitled to a free fresh pine one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

You should keep all the old oil too in the container the new oil came in and date each one on the date of service. Same thing for the old filter and plugs (if applicable) Its very important that you keep all this old Shiite!

You should keep the old oil too (in the container the new oil came in) and date the container on the day of the service. Same goes for old oil filters, air filters and spark plugs (if applicable)

It would be probably wise to keep the petrol/diesel receipts in case you need to prove you put fuel into the car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Some people live in a world of fear, paranoia and absolute Nonsence.

josip wrote: »
    Looking at a massive hit on the resale value, could be up to 50% depending on who's interested.

I sell the car without the old discs and then sell the old disks on adverts for some extra cash .
    Always lads looking for them .

God be with the days when you could get the old garda stamp and say she was off the road for a couple of months.my old van used to do 3 months on and 3 months off.
    Fierce unlucky van she was needing all that “work”.i told the guard one time my mechanic was a pensioner and he could only work the odd day cos he was crippled with arthritis.hence why it took months to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

my old insurance disks came in useful before. left the country for a few years, needed to get no claims information from few years back and had not remembered who I had insurance with.
    I am in the camp of leaving old tax disks in also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have all my old condoms which should ease the nerves of my next girlfriend.

mickdw wrote: »
    After all, if you care enough to store the old discs, you'd probably care enough to keep the oil topped up and with the correct spec oil.

I'd just show him the rows and rows of old jars of piss I've been saving throughout the years. I have them ordered by colour/viscosity, do you think a chronological order would fetch a higher price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

mickdw wrote: »
    After all, if you care enough to store the old discs, you'd probably care enough to keep the oil topped up and with the correct spec oil.

Or, if you're too lazy to take out and dump the old disk you're probably too lazy to keep the oil topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

josip wrote: »
    Looking at a massive hit on the resale value, could be up to 50% depending on who's interested.

ahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Believe what you want. They land in an envelope, just besides the envelope the service invoices and another one with old tax disc.

The tax disc history doesn't matter if you are trading the car in, but in a private sale it does. Stamped service book matters, invoices matter, brand of currently installed tyres matter etc. All contribute a little bit to convince the buyer they are onto something special.

it doesn't

it really really doesn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just be careful. I had an issue before. I kept all the tax discs and threw out the car. Was incredibly difficult to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've never had a problem proving my consecutive insurance history and didn't need a drawer full of old certs to do so. I'm driving over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bazz26 wrote: »
    Never understood the logic in keeping the old tax discs or just sticking the new one in front of the old ones on the windscreen. Do people keep their old insurance discs and certs too?

im afraid they are all in there on my car never take the old ones out except when selling the car then the insurance ones come out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All old discs live in the holder. It's the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

garv123 wrote: »
    Or, if you're too lazy to take out and dump the old disk you're probably too lazy to keep the oil topped up.

The old discs are not stored in the windscreen holder. They are with the service history so that question doesn't arise.

I'd just show him the rows and rows of old jars of piss I've been saving throughout the years. I have them ordered by colour/viscosity, do you think a chronological order would fetch a higher price?

If the buyer was taking ownership of your bladder going forward, id imagine colour, date and composition would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

definitely this thread is in the wrong forum, not sure if it belongs in humour or conspiracy theories though

It comes down to this - you want to sell a car. Do you advertise it with history or not?
    Clearly you.want to prove as much of the history as possible.
    Yes, the tax discs serve little purpose but it shows a dedicated owner and also shows no gaps off the road.
    It's all a bit pointless if you swap cars every year and buy used but I'd say there are very very few cars in the country at 1 owner since 2008, detailed history, parts receipts, service receipts, all books original first aid kit, all nct certs and discs to verify mileage further - and tax discs since new just because I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Go test drive a second hand car and make sure it has tax. Whip the disk out before you hands the keys back, distract the salesman with a tin of kippers & stick it into your yoke then. Free tax, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Car devalued by 50% because the old tax discs are missing?? Ha ha. You need sell your car to people who are not complete odd balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

There is absolutely no way this is true.

I can honestly say I have never even considered this when looking at buying a car.

Think he must have been joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

My favourite is when you see so many tax discs in the holder, like 20+ and its literally ripping and the seams and sagging.

If anything it makes a car look like it wasn't minded properly imo.

• Advertisement

doiredoire wrote: »
    It would be probably wise to keep the petrol/diesel receipts in case you need to prove you put fuel into the car:D

No but wise to keep them for 2 other reasons.

Advertisement