Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Find out if I'm getting speeds I'm paying for?

• 06-02-2020 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

hi, just looking for some advice. I have FTTH but over the past few weeks (thought Speedtest.net) I've noticed that I can't get about 100mbps, even though I'm paying for 300mbps per month. I'm using an Ethernet cable as well with all other connections to the router removed and could only get around 80mbps

Last year I remember I was getting around 180 on wfii and 280 on Ethernet, so could I be getting less bandwidth than I'm actually paying for here? Or is there any other way to ensure I am gettting 300 service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

to check your connection, your router will register what the connection is in the admin Statistics page

usually broadband link with downlink (RX) and uplink (TX)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

I have a Fritzbox, but don't see any section where I can get these stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Paying for up to. No minimum guaranteed speed.

Paying for up to. No minimum guaranteed speed.

ftth is you pay for you get, not up to.

https://service.avm.de/help/en/FRITZ-Box-Fon-WLAN-7490-avme/018/hilfe_dslinfo_ATM

should be what your looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kaahooters wrote: »
    to check your connection, your router will register what the connection is in the admin Statistics page

usually broadband link with downlink (RX) and uplink (TX)

Wrong place to look.
    Barney224 wrote: »
    I have a Fritzbox, but don't see any section where I can get these stats.

Check your device (laptop/desktop):

"To access the View Your Network Properties feature, select the Start button and click Settings. In the Settings window, click the Network & Internet tile. When the Network Status window appears, you'll see the new layout, shown in Figure B"

Good chance your cable is crap and its falling back to 10/100 so limiting you.

Otherwise if Dell delete SmartByte.

• Advertisement

ftth is you pay for you get, not up to.

https://service.avm.de/help/en/FRITZ-Box-Fon-WLAN-7490-avme/018/hilfe_dslinfo_ATM

should be what your looking for

Hahaha, no.

There's no SNR or sync details on a device that has nothing to do with syncing or error correction. Please stop.

I'm totally confused now!

ed e, he asked for a way to see what connection speed he was getting, i provided that.

you've gone into troubleshooting.

two different things buddy.

ed e, he asked for a way to see what connection speed he was getting, i provided that.

you've gone into troubleshooting.

two different things buddy.

You linked the DSL stats page. For FTTH?

ED E wrote: »
    You linked the DSL stats page. For FTTH?

and? your saying that the stats page wont show stats?

• Advertisement

Please just go away to after hours, this is clearly all going way over your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

Appreciate you trying to help kaahooters but ED E is right , the details you provide have nothing to do with FTTH.

All I was looking to see was is there some way I can check that I'm actually getting 300mb (which is what I'm paying for) to the door. Within the house, I understand that this speed will drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I had similar myself, I'm with airwire and had a few incidents of checking the speeds.

For me it was a case of paying for 1000mb and was initially only getting 100-200. That was fixed through being shown how to test.

Then one day unusually my upload speeds dropped to 10mb or below and it should have been 100mb . My provider somehow changed my speeds in my router but never gave me an explanation for why that was. I was pretty pissed with that and had it not been for the hassle I was going to leave them.

They are a bit hit and miss now dropping the connection randomly so it might be on the cards to move soon anyway.

I have my Nvidia Shield connected directly to the router with Ethernet. and can't get above 60mpbs! That's not right. Could it be my cable?

I have my Nvidia Shield connected directly to the router with Ethernet. and can't get above 60mpbs! That's not right. Could it be my cable?

Its worth checking it out, that was one of the trouble shoots I was given when checking on mine.

What tools are you using to check speeds btw?

Also is it possible its the shield?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/277704/very-slow-network-speeds-on-shield/

Calhoun wrote: »
    Its worth checking it out, that was one of the trouble shoots I was given when checking on mine.

What tools are you using to check speeds btw?

Also is it possible its the shield?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/277704/very-slow-network-speeds-on-shield/

I'm using Speedtest.net (via sideloaded apps) to check speed. Any suggestions on where to get the best Ethernet cables to use? Sorry, I've no idea about cables or types!

I'm using Speedtest.net (via sideloaded apps) to check speed. Any suggestions on where to get the best Ethernet cables to use? Sorry, I've no idea about cables or types!

There aren't to many options, a standard cat 5 should be fine. I am nearly sure its not the cable but its worth a look.

Possibly and issue with the shield itself if you see the thread I linked, have you troubleshooted that.

There aren't to many options, a standard cat 5 should be fine. I am nearly sure its not the cable but its worth a look.

Possibly and issue with the shield itself if you see the thread I linked, have you troubleshooted that.

That's a big thread! I don't see any fixes though, but maybe I'm missing something.

That's a big thread! I don't see any fixes though, but maybe I'm missing something.

I know there might not be fixes in it just an indication that you might need to research the nvidia shield itself.

• Advertisement

Stop using the Shield. Its a smartphone.

If you're not using high end devices that can utilise your package, downgrade! Save a few euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Cat 5 cable is limited to 100 Mbps (85 to 95 usual if connection good)
    Cat 5 cables is fast ethernet 10/100

To get over 100 Mbps you need Cat 5e or Cat6 or Cat 7 cables 10/100/1000 using a gigabit lan connection on PC and Router and broadband service offering over 100 Mbps speed

Cat 5 and Cat 5e totally different cables

paulboland wrote: »
    Cat 5 cable is limited to 100 Mbps (85 to 95 usual if connection good)
    Cat 5 cables is fast ethernet 10/100

To get over 100 Mbps you need Cat 5e or Cat6 or Cat 7 cables 10/100/1000 using a gigabit lan connection on PC and Router and broadband service offering over 100 Mbps speed

Cat 5 and Cat 5e totally different cables

You are correct, i should have been more specific. Normally most of the out of the box routers if bought in the past year or two will come with the 5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

Use analiti speedtest. its in the play store, gives a more accurate reading. i'm getting between 700mb to 800mb on shield. if you're using a pc use the speedtest app not a browser.

Stop using the Shield. Its a smartphone.

If you're not using high end devices that can utilise your package, downgrade! Save a few euros.

Not trying to be rude here ed, but get on youtube or something and research the shield. I was playing call of duty modern warfare on it last night using geforce now on my steam account. there's a lot you can do with it. Smartphone seriously?

Not trying to be rude here ed, but get on youtube or something and research the shield. I was playing call of duty modern warfare on it last night using geforce now on my steam account. there's a lot you can do with it. Smartphone seriously?

Its a souped up smartphone. Seriously.
    based the ARM Cortex-A57 CPU

Operating system Android TV

There are loads of complaints online that high bitrate content doesnt work, its NIC isn't up to the challenge. Testing a 300Mb link with it is pointless.

Its a souped up smartphone. Seriously.

There are loads of complaints online that high bitrate content doesnt work, its NIC isn't up to the challenge. Testing a 300Mb link with it is pointless.

It has a gigabit port and i'm getting speeds up to 800mb wired using Analiti as i said in previous post. I don't really care about google searches ed. Anyway this conversation is pointless. https://analiti.com/shared/f75c3697-8b8c-4784-a466-f3deb05eb024

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

With a 100 Mbit/s limit on your speedtests there are a couple of things that can be wrong:

- dodgy cable from LAN1 to the ONT only syncing at 100 Mbit/s
    - dodgy cable from your laptop to the router only syncing at 100 Mbit/s

or one that most won't expect:

- with the upgrade of the AVM Fritz!Box to version 7.12/7.13/7.14, which can have happened automatically, the QoS speeds in "Internet" -> "Account Information" -> "Connection Settings" may have been reset to new default values.

We have seen this issue quite a few times with customers now and it is really annoying. You may not be a customer of ours, but it applies to any Fritz!Box owner.

AVM changed their firmware to go from "kbit/s" settings to "Mbit/s" settings for the users to better understand the numbers.

The issue is, it may now have reset to their defaults of 100 Mbit/s down and 8 Mbit/s up. We have flagged this bug with them already.

If those are the values that you have there, please set both Downstream and Upstream to "1000". Apply, reboot the router and test again.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't change things, start replacing the cables I mentioned above with known good or new Cat6 cables and test again.

My provider somehow changed my speeds in my router but never gave me an explanation for why that was.

Your provider actually can not change the configuration in your router unless they provision it using TR-069 remotely. Very few providers of the AVM Fritz!Box do this currently.

We for example do not change anything on customers router (nor can do so), once we have shipped them out. They become the customer property and responsibility, if you are an Airwire customer.

It is more likely that the values have changed as part of the firmware update/bug, that I mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Your provider actually can not change the configuration in your router unless they provision it using TR-069 remotely. Very few providers of the AVM Fritz!Box do this currently.

We for example do not change anything on customers router (nor can do so), once we have shipped them out. They become the customer property and responsibility, if you are an Airwire customer.

It is more likely that the values have changed as part of the firmware update/bug, that I mentioned above.

Fair enough, at the time it happened i never got a response to why it had gone wrong and i had not been using the router much before that point.

Fair enough, at the time it happened i never got a response to why it had gone wrong and i had not been using the router much before that point.

It took us a while to figure out and it was probably one of the first incidences.

Advertisement