Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiagra Groupset - Long REach Calipers

Options
  • 06-02-2020 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping this isn't a stupid question - but I'm planning to upgrade my commuter from a 10 year old Sora groupset to a Tiagra.

I can see the Tiagra sets on Wiggle and Chainreaction for around €350. Both seem to have standard reach calipers - but I need long reach for the bike I'm upgrading.

Anyone know where I might get a similarly priced option with long reach calipers. I'm also open to other suggestions if anyone has a better idea.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i am fairly certain i've a pair of long reach calipers in the garage. they're black, if you're considering going secondhand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

thejaguar wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hoping this isn't a stupid question - but I'm planning to upgrade my commuter from a 10 year old Sora groupset to a Tiagra.

I can see the Tiagra sets on Wiggle and Chainreaction for around €350. Both seem to have standard reach calipers - but I need long reach for the bike I'm upgrading.

Anyone know where I might get a similarly priced option with long reach calipers. I'm also open to other suggestions if anyone has a better idea.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-tiagra-r451-road-brake-caliper/rp-prod74105

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I saw that - it means buying the set with standard calipers and buying an extra pair. Was hoping to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I see a possibility on vanillabikes.com - if anyone has ever used them or knows anything about the site I'd be grateful for feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I've used vanillabikes a few times in the past without issues.

Groupsets aren't typically supplied from Shimano as a big box with "groupset" on the side - they're just an assembly of the individual components. If you contact the shop, they may well swap out the short for the long-reach calipers for the difference in cost.

As well as the Shimano long-reach calipers, TRP also do them. Unfortunately the cheaper TRP is prone to the QR cam rotating loose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Darrener

I did the same thing 3 years ago jaguar and didn't realise my bike needed long reach.. Still have the short reach tiagra calipers in the garage and original calipers are still on the bike.

Advertisement