Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settling in Dublin....

Options
  • 06-02-2020 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Getting cold feet about the idea of settling in Dublin (irish couple - not from Dublin).

We are 2 professionals, 33, at that stage where we plan on buying and putting down roots. Neither of us are from an urban environment, and issues like air quality and quality of life issues are looming large in our minds when we discuss settling here.

As non natives we are just a bit apprehensive about settling in Dublin where we have no family, no support network and find the quality of the housing in the 400-500k range really poor compared to the homes our friends and family own.

We are also not really into the class culture element and the status they apply to private schools in Dublin.

Being honest a massive concern is having kids that develop the accents you come across in Dublin..

Have any Irish (non-native dubs) any reassuring words about settling and potentially having kids in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

gourcuff wrote: »
    Getting cold feet about the idea of settling in Dublin (irish couple - not from Dublin).

We are 2 professionals, 33, at that stage where we plan on buying and putting down roots. Neither of us are from an urban environment, and issues like air quality and quality of life issues are looming large in our minds when we discuss settling here.

As non natives we are just a bit apprehensive about settling in Dublin where we have no family, no support network and find the quality of the housing in the 400-500k range really poor compared to the homes our friends and family own.

We are also not really into the class culture element and the status they apply to private schools in Dublin.

Being honest a massive concern is having kids that develop the accents you come across in Dublin..

Have any Irish (non-native dubs) any reassuring words about settling and potentially having kids in Dublin?

Surely kids would develop Irish accents of some kind of irish so how is Dublin different to say Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

It sounds like you really don't like Dublin. Maybe don't live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Greystones or Wexford maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Guy Person wrote: »
    It sounds like you really don't like Dublin. Maybe don't live there?

Careers are going great though, just unsure about living in the place long term.
    The quality of housing we have found to be pretty poor, being away from family (although only a few hours) is also an issue, but really its concern about raising children in dublin, how will they turn out etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Careers are going great though, just unsure about living in the place long term.
    The quality of housing we have found to be pretty poor, being away from family (although only a few hours) is also an issue, but really its concern about raising children in dublin, how will they turn out etc..

How they will turn out??? We don't have horns or webbed feet from being brought up in Dublin. The majority of us turned out just fine! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm not from Dublin but your posts come across really insulting to even me as a Dublin resident. The most significant impact on how your kids turn out is not where they live but how you raise them.

My family live on the west coast, my support network is very minimal, somehow I manage to cope. With a loving partner by your side, nothing should be insurmountable.

Honestly it sounds like Dublin is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

This has to be a wind up. I've seen some very puzzling posts on here lately. It's like adults with no maturity. Is this the new internet age affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

but really its concern about raising children in dublin, how will they turn out etc..

They certainly have less chance of turning out to be provincial rustic simpletons, like their parents. Worth rolling the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

There's a big difference between living and raising kids in the city centre and doing it in the suburbs. I'm a dub but from the north county and still live out that way, no interest in living closer to the city. But my kids don't have 'that accent' and as said above they are being raised with the values that we live by and would be no matter where we live. And most of the kids around here just go to whatever local secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I'd mostly worry about children developing 'noice DORT accents' - the chances of this happening are greater should they attend fee-paying schools, in my humble opinion.

'So, Saoirse was like 'will we go out on Friday night like?', and I was like 'I kinda would like to like go to like Dundrum like, and we could like get something to eat like, like you know, like'.

This is a worry, like....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

I'd mostly worry about children developing 'noice DORT accents' - the chances of this happening are greater should they attend fee-paying schools, in my humble opinion.

'So, Saoirse was like 'will we go out on Friday night like?', and I was like 'I kinda would like to like go to like Dundrum like, and we could like get something to eat like, like you know, like'.

This is a worry, like....

Yes i agree, but the other extreme is not great either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Here's some reassurance you might find helpful:
    the D4 accent evolved from the old anglo irish RTE accent, it has literally nothing to do with other irish people or "culchies" as you call them... you seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about this

As this is not A & P related, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement